PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Video Card advice.

sockey99
06-22-06, 10:05 PM
I am helping my friend who wants to play Obvlion Older Scrolls IV. We have an AMD 2600+ cpu, 512 mb ddr,Asus nV2 MB, 166 buss,Win XP w/sp2 and gF2Ti AGP which will not run Obvlion. Basically the video card does not meet the minimum specs listed on the Obvlion box. We think everything else does, even the 8X DVD burner.
Our questions are three.
What is the cheapest VC that runs the game.
What is the cheapest VC that runs the game completely.
What VC's are needed to enjoy everything.
Thanks sockey99

nukem
06-22-06, 10:16 PM
Check out http://www.oldblivion.com/ before you buy a new graphics card. If you still really want a new one my gf just got an XFX 6800 XT (AGP 8x/4x 256meg of VRAM) it runs pretty nicely.

nV`andrew
06-22-06, 10:39 PM
Check out http://www.oldblivion.com/ before you buy a new graphics card. If you still really want a new one my gf just got an XFX 6800 XT (AGP 8x/4x 256meg of VRAM) it runs pretty nicely.

gonig with sumthing like that would bottleneck his sytem. just use oldblivion like the person said that i am currently quoting :D

sockey99
06-22-06, 10:41 PM
Nukem
Thanks for the reply.
I know nothing about Obvlion. I am just a hardware man. My friend came to me asking for a computer powerfull enough to play Ob IV. From your reply, do I understand that earlied versions had lesser hardware requirements?Checking
your sile now.
Thanks John

sockey99
06-22-06, 10:52 PM
Are you telling me that it will work with a nF2 Ti 200 if I use old Oblioion.
I am thinking that all I have to do is but a $100/150 video card and install the CD. Something like a ATI x1600 Pro or gF 7600GT Gt and meet the CD installation reguirements.

sockey99
06-22-06, 11:35 PM
Does oldoblivon support Elder Scrollers IV?

nV`andrew
06-22-06, 11:52 PM
yeah the 4th elder scrolls is oblivion. oldblivion will let u play with a less strict system requirements. if u upgrade his video card, it will bottlenck, or decrease the performance of his overall system because the graphics card is too powerful for that processor and olny 512 mb of ram. so, if he just wants to play oblivion, go to that website, but if he wants a little upgrading done, get him another 512mb of ram, an upgrade to his proccesor of possible, and probably a 1600xt. order from www.newegg.com if in USA or tigerdirect if ur in canada, and thentheres other retails if ur from a different country.

sockey99
06-23-06, 12:37 AM
Nv'Andrew
Thanks Andrew
This is exactly what I was looking for.We can buy a compable video card and then upgrade memory if reguired. We do not want to run the old Obvlion games.My customer just bought a boxed version of Obvlion IV, and wants to upgrade to its processes.The only problem is the video card, according to the Obvliivon CD.Any card advice. I use NewEgg alll the time.