PDA

View Full Version : 2 gigs > 3 gigs? worth it? will it still run dual channel

bugmage
06-22-06, 10:25 PM
so i have 2 gigs of kingsten value ram running at 333 to oc my 3800, i have some games that use that all so im thinking of going to 3 gbs as i use isos on my external drive so i dont have to use a big cd binder

-so tiger direct has its 20 bucks for 512 mb of ram
-im going to get 2 (via a friend) and put them in the other color slots in my motherboard

2 of elixer ultra ddr memory 512 each, and the 2 x 1gb of kingsten value ram

-so i think i wont have any compatibiliy issues and i have to of each stick can i still run dual channel even though there differnt capacities and brands, but i have 2 sticks of each, its a nvidia nforce 4 board

agentkay
06-23-06, 06:50 AM
I donīt for sure, but I kind of doubt that dual channel will still work. Are you sure that you can mix 512MB sticks with 1GB sticks? I know in the past it was a major "no-no" to mix different sticks but maybe the modern boards donīt mind them anymore. :confused:

ViN86
06-23-06, 07:35 AM
if you load the same amount of each stick/brand in each channel i think it will run dual channel (1GB and 1x512MB stick in the first two slots, then the same in the last two).

however youll have to run a 2T command rate.

SLippe
06-23-06, 08:29 AM
Yeah, what ViN86 said. As far as what agentkay said, I think you have to have the bigger chips in the first slot with the smaller chip in the second slot, for both sets. I could be wrong.