PDA

View Full Version : After adding new PSU computer wont turn on anymore Please Help.

CDE_1246
06-22-06, 10:35 PM
A few days ago i added an Ultra X-Finity 500watt psu to my computer and after adding it my computer would freeze at the boot screen and i couldnt figure out why. i set my bios to all default and it still wouldnt boot so i cleared my cmos and put it back to normal and i went to turn on my computer and it wouldnt turn on :mad: i tried my old psu and it still wouldnt turn on removed ram video card hard drive nothing..... i think it might be my power switch but im not really sure i really hope i didnt fry my mobo somehow. a few days later i was looking in my case and i saw that one of the two connectors for the led on the case was broken off and im wondering if this could also be the cause but i dont think so cuz its for the led lights on the case i really wanna get my computer working again and if someone could please help me out with this that would be really great. Thanks!

My Specs: Nvidia GeForce 6800 Pqi Power Series 1gb ram 160gb Maxtor Diamond Max hard drive AMD Athlon 64 2.4ghz 3700+

Roadhog
06-23-06, 12:02 AM
probably the crapola ultra psu fried your mobo.

K007
06-23-06, 12:30 AM
hmm..too much power? Maybe the power outlet in the wall cauldn't handle it and the fuse went?.

I know its a silly thing but my house is just wired so strange, like in winter if i turn on my heater and have my cpu running..gg fuse goes.

PS: what on earth u want a 500w anyway lol ><

CDE_1246
06-23-06, 10:59 AM
Is 500watts bad to have? Im not really that good with psu's but I thought ultra was a good brand. Is there anyway to be like 100% sure that your motherboard is fried becuase If i have to get a new one i want to make sure its fried and do u guys think that anything got taken with it? Thanks for any reply

PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273338&CatId=1079

K007
06-23-06, 11:18 AM
if u wanna test..find a another psu something with similar or close to same things..if the psu dosent even boot that means psu has the problem for sure or the connection with mobo..

One way to test it ure self it to get another psu similar W and just plut it into the motherboard, with say 1 gpu/1hdd and see if it turns on..if it does..the psu might be fault..if it dosent..maybe check the connection with the motherboard

When i had a psu problem ages ago i took it to the shop they had this thing where they plugged the psu into the wall and was able to turn it on without having to plug it into the mobo..

PS:Not sure why you need 500W anyway..looks like overkill

CDE_1246
06-23-06, 11:29 AM
I tried another psu 430watts in my computer and it still wouldnt turn on... i guess that means my mobo is fried but the power switch for the case might be at fualt too so im getting a new one if that dosent work than i guess i have to buy a new mobo. But another thing that im wondering about is if i get a new mobo will the ultra psu that i just got fry that one two? confused heres a link to the mobo i want to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128262
Do u think anything like the hd,videocard or ram got taken with it? thanks for the reply

ps: How many watts does ur psu have?

K007
06-23-06, 11:53 AM
i use antec 430W, i am gonna try this on the new rig..hopefully it will run without a problem. I have had the 430 since like day 1 of 6800GT, not a single problem. Came with antec 1080AMG Case.

If the new psu gave same problem maybe its the switch..but you said it work once for u then bsod..

CDE_1246
06-23-06, 12:14 PM
Your building a new rig? It looks like the computer u have on there is really good geforce 7900gtx thats a really good video card. I think im gonna return that ultra psu and get my money back and get an antec like yours 430watts or 450watts off newegg.com. Im already testing parts in an old dell my video card and memory work but im still testing hard drive but do you think my cpu is dead cuz of the mobo? i have no way of testing it thanks for reply.