PDA

View Full Version : Can't use my new N6800 512 AGP card!

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 06:17 AM
Well, I had a nforce 2 board, and it turned out my new n6800 AGP 512mb card was incompatable with Nforce 2. So I bought a new motherboard (http://www.asrock.com.tw/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm), proc (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535), and seta 2 harddrive (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=133&language=en), reused my gig of ddr ram, and I had a new fast computer with a 400w PSU.

Anyway, I finally get my installation of Win Xp pro running, install Half Life 2 and related games. Start it up, and it goes to a nice black screen. Sound still works, but the screen is black. So I go back to windows with the windows key, and remaximise Half Life 2, and it shows the loading image then it goes to this:

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8611/untitled13jh2.jpg

It is animated so that means its drawing the graphics, but not very well!
Then I tried luanching FEAR (Latest patches), same thing, black screen with sound, only it did not draw any graphics. Thnking it was a direct x problem I ran a dx test via the command dxdiag entered in to run. I passed all tests. So I rotated through 4 drivers, all had the same effects (Sept the old old one, was worse on that). I am using the latest Nvidia aproved drivers, and other latest drivers.

agentkay
06-23-06, 06:25 AM
Do you have the same problem when you want to start a game in a window, or is it fullscreen only? Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Since it has a AGP and PCIe slots, it might be a BIOS setting issue.

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 06:37 AM
When I run it in window mode it plays the intro video (Full mode it does not but it plays sound) then it goes crazy.

I do not yet have the latest bios, I will get it shortly and report the results.

And no its not a conflict, as I have AGP set as the defualt video port in the bios.

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 06:58 AM
With updated chipset drivers and bios, I now has less white and more beutifull artifacts and flickering! I decided not to post a picture as the picture looks normal, but when the game is running its flickering here, making squares there. I think I will be taking this card back and buying a ATI instead if this problem persists.

nekrosoft13
06-23-06, 07:01 AM
have you tried any openGL games?

if openGL works, then your DirectX install would be corrupt.

also i would try something like 3d visualizer in WMP or winamp, to see if this problems also happens in other programs, also in window mode

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 08:36 AM
I installed the Doom 3 demo, yes it has the same problem as the Dx games.
Heres a pic of a small instance of artifacting in Half Life 2:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6505/untitled18az1.jpg

Not much, but its moving around the screen very fast so it looks like it is everywere. Man my overclocked Fx 5900 didnt even artifact! I got the latest Mombo bios, chipset drivers, Directx, Nvidia drivers, etc.

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 08:48 AM
If some one could offer a solution that would be great.
I have been trying to get the card running for 3 days now!
I swear if I dont get it playing a game flawlessly by the end of the day I am buying a ATI.

Stoneyguy
06-23-06, 09:46 AM
before you spend money on RMAing your 6800 and buying an ATI card, you may want to try another card. The problem could be your mobo and not your card.

Delbert
06-23-06, 10:19 AM
Being an Asrock motherboard with the ULi chipset, Make sure you have the latest ULi AGP driver for your motherboard. I had a similar issue until i installed it. Note:- had to run the driver install as a Win2K program before it would install correctly ( thought my 32bit OS was 64 bit !!! )... good luck.

nekrosoft13
06-23-06, 01:41 PM
and even if the card is bad, do you have any idea what are the chances of a card being bad? probably one in few thousands, and thats go for both nvidia and ati.

no reason to switch to tomatos, just because you found one bad apple.

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 04:10 PM
Acually its a green apple.

I will try installing a AGP driver under win2k mode, so if that works.

If not I will plug in my old reliable Fx 5900 and see what it does.

And the reason I would buy a ATI is because I found a 1800xt with 512 megs of Gddr3 memory using a 256bit memory bus made by MSI (So its quality) for 200 bucks.

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 04:55 PM
Well the AGP driver install didnt help.
And I swapped out the card for my old noise maker, and it works! Im never buying any card made by Asus agian.

Blasphemer
06-23-06, 04:56 PM
Make sure you delete all video card drivers before you install the AGP driver, wipe them all then install the agp driver, then dx9 then nvidia driver. Its a bit picky that ULI agp driver. But once it works its a good board, and it works with the GX2 as you can see by my sig.

Dr Zoidberg
06-23-06, 05:01 PM
Yes I like my board by as I said I swapped out my new n6800 for my old and reliable Fx 5900 and it works, so the fualt must be in my graphics card.

Unless its underpowerd, but I dout it as I have a 400w PSU.