PDA

View Full Version : Valve Collecting Stats w/o notice

LurkerLito
06-23-06, 07:53 AM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/714/714177p1.html

It is disconcerting to say the least. I received no notification that stats were being collected by playing HL2:E1. While I don't particularly mind, this type of trend needs to be stopped.

Stats collection should always be OPTIONAL. After finishing the game or at the start of the game it should ask you if you want to opt in to your stats being collected. I always assumed steam could collect stats but I figured they'd do it like the CS:Source Test thing where it actually asks you if you want your stats sent in. For any game company to automatically send stats is an absolute disgraceful thing to do, it makes them no better than a spyware company.

Really bad move here from Valve ... :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

nutcrackr
06-23-06, 08:00 AM
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement
http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm

7. "User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve through your use of the Steam Software. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications

By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties

It's been there forever.

I find it laughable that you think this stat collection is a bad idea. Some people are just paranoid I guess. :confused:

|MaguS|
06-23-06, 08:03 AM
SIN does the same thing, they even go a step further and report your accuracy aswell as other gameplay info.

Superfly
06-23-06, 08:12 AM
I think its a great thing TBH, SiN is currently the most extreme in terms of stats as Magus says.

K007
06-23-06, 08:13 AM
stat collecing is fine..but for the love of god..ask me first...some of us live in countrys where there cable is capped right down to dial up speeds (sigh stupid australia)..last thing i want is lag online..though i never played hl2 ep1 i cauldn't careless lol

|MaguS|
06-23-06, 08:31 AM
stat collecing is fine..but for the love of god..ask me first...some of us live in countrys where there cable is capped right down to dial up speeds (sigh stupid australia)..last thing i want is lag online..though i never played hl2 ep1 i cauldn't careless lol

A stats log would be less then 10KB in size... I dout it could ever cause lag.

Mudcrutch
06-23-06, 09:40 AM
i sort of *gasp* like the idea. they use the data to find where people get hung-up in the game, etc. so they can improve future games.

BioHazZarD
06-23-06, 09:57 AM
I think its cool they do this.

LurkerLito
06-23-06, 11:45 AM
No I don't think it is a bad idea to collect stats, I love to see what my stats are in any game. I think it is a very bad idea that it is not OPTIONAL to send stats back to the game company. Paranoia really has nothing to do with it. Your personal stats and info are yours and don't belong to anyone else especially for single player games. If you want to freely give it to valve when they ask you for it, then that is all good. If you don't want to give it then you should have that option available to you also, but to just send the stats automatically is wrong.

As far as Sin goes, maybe I was mistaken but didn't the stats dialog box come up with a button to upload your game stats. Maybe I am remembering it wrong but I don't think it uploaded it automatically.

jAkUp
06-24-06, 12:51 AM
God forbid somebody finds out how many times you died on a paticular level! Theres no harm in this at all.

Parts
06-24-06, 05:01 AM
Now, If they only posted the stats by IP address and DNS for all to see!

128.54.59.05 DIED 133 TIMES AND ONLY GOT 3 KILLS ON A SINGLE CSS MATCH

Morrow
06-26-06, 06:40 AM
God forbid somebody finds out how many times you died on a paticular level! Theres no harm in this at all.

The problem is that Valve certainly is collecting much more data than just how often you died. The EULA gives Valve the right to collect any data they find interesting without asking you first nor being forced to tell you at a later date what they found out about you.

Valve has too much power and the user of course again too less control over it. Valve can legally abuse all the data they collected and do with the information whatever they like (e.g. sell it to 3rd party developpers or advertising agencies).

This is a real bad trend and as always, if we don't protest now against this practises, more companies will join spying on you the gamers and you'll end up with less and less privacy.

|MaguS|
06-26-06, 06:53 AM
This is a real bad trend and as always, if we don't protest now against this practises, more companies will join spying on you the gamers and you'll end up with less and less privacy.

Want to protest against this practice? Don't buy their products... Its cleary stated in their agreements (Privacy Policy & SSA) what they can and will do with certain information. If you do not agree then simple do not purchase their products. END OF STORY

You complain about Valve collecting your personal information but the same can be said about anyone else... like this forum. If MikeC really wanted he could sell every members email address to advertisers...

saturnotaku
06-26-06, 06:56 AM
If MikeC really wanted he could sell every members email address to advertisers...

/sends a PM to MikeC :p

|MaguS|
06-26-06, 07:00 AM
eeeep!

Oh BTW, here are the stats that your all crying about...

http://www.steampowered.com/stats/ep1/

saturnotaku
06-26-06, 07:22 AM
eeeep!

Oh BTW, here are the stats that your all crying about...

http://www.steampowered.com/stats/ep1/

TEH NOOOES!!11 Now teh gAb3 N3\/\/3|| si gonig 2 flood my hous wit teh donutt waves!!!1

|MaguS|
06-26-06, 07:59 AM
TEH NOOOES!!11 Now teh gAb3 N3\/\/3|| si gonig 2 flood my hous wit teh donutt waves!!!1

That's Zelda_Fans line!

Namrok
06-26-06, 08:12 AM
Our data indicates that while 47.03% of the players have reached the final map (as noted in the Highest Map Played graph below), only roughly half of those players have completed the game. This leads us to believe that either players are quitting before they see the credits, or there is a bug in how we collect this data.

That reminds me, I got to the final level and quit playing. I need to finish it :P

a12ctic
06-26-06, 08:21 AM
2% of users using direct x 7?

|MaguS|
06-26-06, 08:29 AM
2% of users using direct x 7?

Probably Dx7 based cards... not the actual software.

saturnotaku
06-27-06, 07:34 AM
Probably Dx7 based cards... not the actual software.

There's no probably about it. HL2 requires the DirectX 9 runtime to play. Must still be a lot of people using GeForce4 MX cards out there.