PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Blu-Ray drive for PC

Athena
06-23-06, 10:29 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1980424,00.asp

Wow it can not even read CDs, I guess that is ok if your entire lot of games is on DVD's. Mine is not. :(

Also its slow on the normal DVD side and only will burn one layer on Blu-Ray disks.

All this goodness for $1,000!!! wow I am going to get 3!!! :p

Peoples-Agent
06-23-06, 10:57 AM
Can shove their Blu Ray.... $1000? ....and not mentioning the disks themselves are going to cost a bomb.

Plus it sounds like some submarine out of Stingray, that old string puppet show. lol

$1000.... pmsl ...

six_storm
06-23-06, 12:01 PM
HD-DVD FTW . . . Sony is gay.

OWA
06-23-06, 12:14 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1980424,00.asp

Wow it can not even read CDs, I guess that is ok if your entire lot of games is on DVD's. Mine is not. :(

Also its slow on the normal DVD side and only will burn one layer on Blu-Ray disks.

All this goodness for $1,000!!! wow I am going to get 3!!! :p
I was trying to get one of these for work but only being able to burn single layer disks could be a showstopper. Doesn't that mean only getting 25 gig instead of 50? Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see the actual review link initially and yeah, it means only getting 25 gig.

Marvel_us
06-23-06, 12:21 PM
I'll pass on this until they work out the kinks.

|MaguS|
06-23-06, 02:25 PM
Wow, Pioneer are full of idiots... release a shoddy product at the price of the standalone player... ouch, even the standalone player can read CD Media.

a12ctic
06-23-06, 02:46 PM
im not hyped at all about hd dvd or blu-ray, im happy with cd's and dvd's thanks :)

spoop
06-23-06, 02:47 PM
HD-DVD FTW . . . Sony is gay.

QFT

Athena
06-23-06, 02:47 PM
Wow I did not know the the standard Blu-Ray players would play CDs as the laser needed for CD is red like standard DVD or HD-DVD and I thought only the priemium Blu-Ray players would also have the red beam in addition to the Blu.

Riptide
06-23-06, 03:41 PM
im not hyped at all about hd dvd or blu-ray, im happy with cd's and dvd's thanks :)
I would be a lot happier if DVD9 media fell down to $1/disc. It hasn't budged much in at least a year it seems.

Peoples-Agent
06-23-06, 04:29 PM
I would be a lot happier if DVD9 media fell down to $1/disc. It hasn't budged much in at least a year it seems.

It's just started to creep down in price over here, and they have been doing more specials with stuff like buy two packs, get one free on a few sites.

It has to now, considering Bwu Way is here.

Riptide
06-23-06, 04:37 PM
Verbatim (the good stuff) just went up to $2.80/disc on meritline.

/sigh

Banko
06-23-06, 04:44 PM
Can shove their Blu Ray.... $1000? ....and not mentioning the disks themselves are going to cost a bomb.

Plus it sounds like some submarine out of Stingray, that old string puppet show. lol

$1000.... pmsl ...
We actually have TDK Blu-ray discs at Circuit City, they are $20 bucks for one 25gb disc.

GamerGuyX
06-23-06, 05:33 PM
Wow, Pioneer are full of idiots... release a shoddy product at the price of the standalone player... ouch, even the standalone player can read CD Media.

Yes but Samsung's standalone Blu-ray player is the exception rather than the rule. Both Sony's BDP-S1 and Pioneer's BDP-HD1 Blu-ray players cannot play CD's.

ViN86
06-23-06, 07:56 PM
those proprietary douches at Sony can shove their blu-ray disc up their... you know what im tryin to say.

jAkUp
06-23-06, 09:57 PM
Blu-ray is a better technology. So of course its more expensive, these inital drive prices obviously won't stay the same.

I predict prices for a Blu-ray burner to be in the $200 range shortly. I'm pulling for Blu-ray in the end though. Its more storage. Who wouldn't love it?

I am still amazed at the poor quality of standard DVD movies however. Once you put those on a 50" plasma, the quality is terrible in comparision to Hi-Def content. HD-DVD/Bluray is long overdue.

-=DVS=-
06-23-06, 10:18 PM
Its first generation drive , so yeah its gonna be crappy :p im gonna wait for hybrid BRD/HD-Drive :D

nrdstrm
06-24-06, 12:44 AM
Its first generation drive , so yeah its gonna be crappy :p im gonna wait for hybrid BRD/HD-Drive :D

Me too. And remember guys, when DVD Burners came out, they were SLOW, EXPENSIVE, and the media was EXPENSIVE. Everything came down FAST (with exception to Dual Layer discs). Blue Ray/HD-DVD will likely be the same....