PDA

View Full Version : Conroe System Questions

pkirby11
06-23-06, 03:06 PM
Okay, first I need to say this is something I wan't serious answer's for. I'm not here to start flame wars nor do I wan't flame wars to start. I just want some honest opinions on memory and what CPU you would go with. I'm a die hard AMD fan, but I'm very close to making the plunge and buying Conroe. I'm a gamer first and once they launch if the PR is still positive I plan to buy Conroe. So far what I've seen makes the price/performance ratio outstanding.

So what I want to know if this, I know what board I will be getting. I plan to get an Asus i975 board with crossfire support. I know the Intel boards are going to perform real well with Conroe and they support X-Fire which I already use. So what I want to know is first off memory, I'm not to up to snuff on DDR-2. I want to go with OCZ brand but I wan't to know which to go with. Maybe some current Intel owners could help me out with that, I want to know wether to go with DDR2-800 or should I go with even faster. Things like that.

Second, I probably wan't to spen no more than $600 on the CPU. I currently have an X2 4200+ and I was thinking of either the E6600 or the E6400. I could go for broke and get an E6700, but that's getting up there. With my current CPU which one would you buy if you were me?

Please just honest answers to my two questions. I don't want to hear any posts about how Conroe sucks, stick with your X2, or Crossfire sucks. :D I ust want to know current DDR2 owners opinions on memory and timings and what most of you who are excited about Conroe would get for the CPU with $600 to spend. Thanks guys.

a12ctic
06-23-06, 03:28 PM
i know you want to know about conroe, but id wait for reverse hyper threading (supozidly already in am2 chips) which is supozidly coming the day of conroe release.

pkirby11
06-23-06, 10:39 PM
i know you want to know about conroe, but id wait for reverse hyper threading (supozidly already in am2 chips) which is supozidly coming the day of conroe release.

And I do want to know about Conroe, but no body is replying. :( And yes, I don't plan to buy Conroe at least a week or more after release. But that has to be some outstanding performance gains from AMD with reverse hyper-threading before I'll purchase it. Not to mention give the same price/performance increase Conroe will supposedly give me. If the E6600 or 6700 is as good as it looks those are outstanding processors for the price.

jAkUp
06-23-06, 11:41 PM
Okay, first I need to say this is something I wan't serious answer's for. I'm not here to start flame wars nor do I wan't flame wars to start. I just want some honest opinions on memory and what CPU you would go with. I'm a die hard AMD fan, but I'm very close to making the plunge and buying Conroe. I'm a gamer first and once they launch if the PR is still positive I plan to buy Conroe. So far what I've seen makes the price/performance ratio outstanding.

So what I want to know if this, I know what board I will be getting. I plan to get an Asus i975 board with crossfire support. I know the Intel boards are going to perform real well with Conroe and they support X-Fire which I already use. So what I want to know is first off memory, I'm not to up to snuff on DDR-2. I want to go with OCZ brand but I wan't to know which to go with. Maybe some current Intel owners could help me out with that, I want to know wether to go with DDR2-800 or should I go with even faster. Things like that.

Second, I probably wan't to spen no more than $600 on the CPU. I currently have an X2 4200+ and I was thinking of either the E6600 or the E6400. I could go for broke and get an E6700, but that's getting up there. With my current CPU which one would you buy if you were me?

Please just honest answers to my two questions. I don't want to hear any posts about how Conroe sucks, stick with your X2, or Crossfire sucks. :D I ust want to know current DDR2 owners opinions on memory and timings and what most of you who are excited about Conroe would get for the CPU with $600 to spend. Thanks guys.

Hey man, I would go with the E6600 if I were you. Price to performance seems to be about the best in the Conroe lineup.

As for Memory, your DDR800 should work nicely. Just make sure you get some CL4 memories, stay away from the CL5 stuff. I am planning on going with the GSkill DDR800 or 1GHz.

bkswaney
06-23-06, 11:41 PM
If u over clock your cpu's save big money and get a low end conroe.
That's what I'm going to do.

As for as this big amd deal I could care less.
I'm going conroe even if amd is a little faster after this big software release.
Intel has years to build on this platform and will only get faster with time. :)

a12ctic
06-24-06, 11:45 AM
btw, watch out for tiki, hes a viral marketer ;), id go for the chip thats going for like 185$ and oc the rest of the way, unfortunatly, we dont know much about the overclocks you can get with the conroe yet. id acualy wait until a month or 2 until after the conoes been released to see what people are getting and if everyone is satisfied with it.

pkirby11
06-24-06, 11:45 AM
If u over clock your cpu's save big money and get a low end conroe.
That's what I'm going to do.

As for as this big amd deal I could care less.
I'm going conroe even if amd is a little faster after this big software release.
Intel has years to build on this platform and will only get faster with time. :)

First off thanks for the good suggestion jAKUp, I had been thinking of the E6600 honestly and hearing someone say that would make a good choice makes me want it all the more. :D

Also not to start any AMD or Intel bashing, I just want to point something out, reverse hyper-threading, although very cool sounding, does not seem like a huge performance leap. All these years AMD has stuck with lower clocked system compared to Intel and they've held the performance crown. Now look, Intel has processors that beat the pants off anything Intel had previously and anything AMD has currently. Speed isn't going to be the only determing factor here, to me it comes down to the architecture of the chip and I'm sorry to say it looks like Intel managed to find some solid engineers.

Does that mean I hate AMD or I will never buy one again? Nope, in fact the way I look at it is I buy so much in compter parts that next year depending on who has the best part I will be buying that. I'm a gamer first and an AMD fanboy second. :D While I love AMD, I have to be realistic here and realize that those Conroe chips look to be awesome CPUs for the price. It's too good to pass up. Plus I look at it this way, AMD isn't loosing money from me, I had no plans to go AM2 unless the performance was outstanding so I don't feel bad any who. :D

Toss3
06-25-06, 08:09 AM
Hmm how about an e6300 with quality 667Mhz ddr2? Running on 400Mhz FSB with a 7x multiplier would make 2,8Ghz and 800Mhz RAM. The only problem is that you would have half of the cache; 2mb instead of 4. :o So 180$ + 220$(2Gb of DDr2 667mhz)+200$ for a good MB = 600$ ^^

grimreefer
06-25-06, 10:19 AM
my ocz value ram does 667 @ cas 3 (nana2)
not sure about the newer sticks though
get some of the 800mhz stuff, itll last u forever, with conroe and a low multi, u might actually run it at 1:1

rudedog
06-30-06, 06:59 AM
Hey man, I would go with the E6600 if I were you. Price to performance seems to be about the best in the Conroe lineup.

As for Memory, your DDR800 should work nicely. Just make sure you get some CL4 memories, stay away from the CL5 stuff. I am planning on going with the GSkill DDR800 or 1GHz.

Jackup, is this the ram you where at as well?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231077

This is what I have speced so far, looking to start collecting the parts soon.

|MaguS|
06-30-06, 07:02 AM
Man, Conroe will be nice and cheap but god dam is the memory expensive...

Sound_Card
06-30-06, 09:21 AM
I am planning on going with the GSkill DDR800 or 1GHz.

Nice memory.:D

mullet
06-30-06, 09:28 AM

NS

Tuork
06-30-06, 02:08 PM

QFT.

I think I'll have to settle for 1GB and a 7600GT rather than a 7900 :(

Toss3
07-01-06, 05:21 AM
QFT.

I think I'll have to settle for 1GB and a 7600GT rather than a 7900 :(
Why not wait and save some money for the upcoming gpus from nvidia and ati? Aren't they scheduled for late summer(August, September)? :o

grey_1
07-01-06, 06:02 AM
Why not wait and save some money for the upcoming gpus from nvidia and ati? Aren't they scheduled for late summer(August, September)? :o

I'm going to wait til the smoke clears a little and see what folks are saying. With dx10 gfx cards not far out (yes I'm going Vista) I'd much rather pair a low to mid-range conroe with some more potent gpu's. After all my current rig handles anything out there fine now...I'm not letting the excitement hurry me this time:p