PDA

View Full Version : GEOFORMS DEMO IS FINALLY OUT!!! for 7900, but also for all 6 and 7 series!!

Pages : [1] 2

MastershakeJB
06-23-06, 06:11 PM
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_geoforms_downloads.html

IT'S FINALLY OUT!

OWA
06-23-06, 08:01 PM
It's pretty taxing. It doesn't really seem to be taking advantage of quad-sli and trying to run it at 1920x1200 my framerate is pretty low with max settings. Looks cool though. :)

MastershakeJB
06-23-06, 08:14 PM
ouch. quad SLI /me drools

doesn't look like much takes advantage of quad....YET, though when it does you'll be sitting pretty. I'm sure regular old dual SLI should get you more than enough frames all eye candied out at 12 X 10 or higher though (nana2)
I guess just plain old incredible will have to suffice for now for you

rudedog
06-23-06, 08:33 PM
It's pretty taxing. It doesn't really seem to be taking advantage of quad-sli and trying to run it at 1920x1200 my framerate is pretty low with max settings. Looks cool though. :)
how are you checking frame rate?

I cranked everything up and it ran rather well for me and we have almost the same rig.

CaptNKILL
06-23-06, 08:41 PM
I've been playing with it a bit and Im kinda disapointed... just like most other visual effects that supposedly respond to audio, this one doesnt seem to be effected by audio at all. It seems to move a little more when theres sound as opposed to when there isnt sound, but the music itself has no effect on what the blobs are doing.

It looks really cool, but it doesnt run all that smooth on my GX2 and doesnt respond to audio very much.

Yawn... :p

agentkay
06-23-06, 08:41 PM
Wow, that demo is more taxing than Luna or Mad Mod Mike but Im thankful enough that its at least running here. :D

OWA
06-23-06, 08:45 PM
how are you checking frame rate?

I cranked everything up and it ran rather well for me and we have almost the same rig.
Just using fraps. I'm in the teens most of the time.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5623/geoforms013fz.th.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geoforms013fz.jpg)

agentkay
06-23-06, 08:48 PM
Just using fraps. I'm in the teens most of the time.

From the readme:

Don't use FRAPS or the
SLI indicator to test perf though; only DebugView (find it
via google) will give you really accurate results. (FRAPS
drops the framerate when SLI is on, and the SLI indicator
doesn't always show up, even if SLI is working - it's a
known driver bug - usually kicks in when you're fullscreen with
vsync on and SLI enabled (and sometimes only when AA is on)).

MastershakeJB
06-23-06, 08:49 PM
"MAKING YOUR OWN STENCIL IMAGES
----------------------------
You can make your own stencil images that will appear as shape
cutouts in the blobs. Read the file
[c:\]Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Nvidia Demos\GeoForms\
Stencils\how_to_make_stencils.txt"

in the readme

Yeah, this demo does seem slightly more demanding than even Mad Mod Mike. I have it maxed @ 25+ FPS at 12 X 10 2XQAA 2AF. I'm always glad if I can get at least that resolution and settings, so I'm all happy here, and I really only barely made that resolution and settings. I wouldn't mind a few more frames per second, but it looks surprisingly very smooth even at only 25. I think that has something to do with the motion blur

CaptNKILL, mine seems to be responding well to music. Are you sure you chose the right input source?

OWA
06-23-06, 08:51 PM
From the readme:

Don't use FRAPS or the
SLI indicator to test perf though; only DebugView (find it
via google) will give you really accurate results. (FRAPS
drops the framerate when SLI is on, and the SLI indicator
doesn't always show up, even if SLI is working - it's a
known driver bug - usually kicks in when you're fullscreen with
vsync on and SLI enabled (and sometimes only when AA is on)).
What? I'm supposed to read the README. :) Thanks for the info.

rudedog
06-23-06, 09:14 PM
That's why I asked, I had fraps setup and ready to do some testings and I came across that in the readme

CaptNKILL
06-23-06, 09:19 PM
CaptNKILL, mine seems to be responding well to music. Are you sure you chose the right input source?
Yeah, I've tried a few different ones and none of them seem to make any real difference.

The pace and the movement are totaly random.

Does it fit the music for anyone else? Like, when theres a lot more going on in the song (guitars, drums, etc) is there more activity and do the blobs move faster? Mine doesnt do this at all, but I sort of expected it to :o

einstein_314
06-23-06, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I've tried a few different ones and none of them seem to make any real difference.

The pace and the movement are totaly random.

Does it fit the music for anyone else? Like, when theres a lot more going on in the song (guitars, drums, etc) is there more activity and do the blobs move faster? Mine doesnt do this at all, but I sort of expected it to :o
Well, whenever I stop the music, they stop moving and fade away...and then it changes to a new pattern. I think that's so that when the song changes, it changes it's pattern. But I can't see any distinguishable correlation between what's happening in the music and what's happening on the screen.

CaptNKILL
06-23-06, 09:29 PM
Well, whenever I stop the music, they stop moving and fade away...and then it changes to a new pattern. I think that's so that when the song changes, it changes it's pattern. But I can't see any distinguishable correlation between what's happening in the music and what's happening on the screen.
Yeah thats about what Im seeing.

Its basically just an on\off switch. If theres sound, it moves, if there isnt, it doesnt move. I've noticed that some songs effect it more than others, but none of them have any real recognizable connection to the music.

This thing is probably better suited to rap or pop. Anything with guitars or constant sound isnt going to work at all.

einstein_314
06-23-06, 09:31 PM
Ok after a little more listening/watching, it seems to respond mostly to lower notes...Like every time there is a low note it moves quickly and then slows down then speeds up on the next note. But there is quite a bit of lag between the music and what happens. Maybe if i was getting a better frame rate...

CaptNKILL
06-23-06, 09:34 PM
Ok after a little more listening/watching, it seems to respond mostly to lower notes...Like every time there is a low note it moves quickly and then slows down then speeds up on the next note. But there is quite a bit of lag between the music and what happens. Maybe if i was getting a better frame rate...
No there is a lot of lag on mine even when I lower the resolution and its running smoother.

I think thats whats hurting it for me too... when it is responding, it lags behind too much so it looks random.

tacos4me
06-23-06, 10:03 PM
It won't even start for me. Makes meh computa' crash. (nana2)

MastershakeJB
06-23-06, 10:13 PM
What driver? Driver "90 release notes" say there's a problem with geoforms, so I think that's just for 91.28

OWA
06-23-06, 10:28 PM
I tried disabling the sli indicators and didn't run fraps. I don't think my performance is all that much better though.

Edit: Looks like 1024x768 is about as high as I can go if I want a really smooth framerate. I thought it looked pretty good before but it looks so much better when it's running smoothly. :)

tacos4me
06-23-06, 10:42 PM
What driver? Driver "90 release notes" say there's a problem with geoforms, so I think that's just for 91.28

I'm running 84.25. I think it might have something to do with my X-Fi, though. I kept getting the error "Failed to lanch Recording Control" while in the configuration window. Anyone else getting this?

shungokusatsu
06-23-06, 10:43 PM
I tried disabling the sli indicators and didn't run fraps. I don't think my performance is all that much better though.

Edit: Looks like 1024x768 is about as high as I can go if I want a really smooth framerate. I thought it look pretty good before but it looks so much better when it's running smoothly. :)
More hell and custom profiles just for a benchmark :D Nvidia, we need official support!

ew2x4
06-23-06, 11:30 PM
BSOD on x64.

MastershakeJB
06-23-06, 11:45 PM
This is awesome. Now I'm creating my own stencils for this.:) :D

SLippe
06-24-06, 12:22 AM
I'm running 84.25. I think it might have something to do with my X-Fi, though. I kept getting the error "Failed to lanch Recording Control" while in the configuration window. Anyone else getting this?
Yeah, I got that too with my SB Live! 24bit card. I disabled the audio part anyways, so no big deal to me. It runs pretty good overall. Sometimes it's smoother/faster than others.

MastershakeJB
06-24-06, 02:39 PM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/686/lunastencil0rb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

My first stencil. Made from a screenshot I took of Luna while running Luna demo.