PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a Samsung 204b 20.1" LCD

superklye
06-23-06, 11:00 PM
And man...it's awesome. I can't wait to play games at 1600x1200 FINALLY. This thing is goregous though. It's just enormous and so crisp and clear...so much better than my old, crappy CRT.

It was a terrible week at work, I had a bunch of extra cash and a $50 BB gift card (not to mention my roommate's discount)...it was worth it. :D

Rytr
06-23-06, 11:15 PM
They are nice. I have the 204T with my main system but I have never tried any games on it othe than some demos and watching movies. Still use my old 22" CRT for gaming.

superklye
06-23-06, 11:22 PM
I couldn't tell what the difference(s) between the b and t are, apart from about $80.

The b actually seemed to have a better response time (5ms) than the t (16ms), but I know those aren't really indicative of anything since there is no industry standard.

All I know is this thing is huge. :D

MikeC
06-23-06, 11:27 PM
Sit back I don't want you ruining your eyes sitting too close to that thing. :p

Rytr
06-23-06, 11:34 PM
I bought this one locally after seeing the display running at 1600x1200. They did not have any of the B models but I was not buying it for gaming. Being less expensive and having a lower rated response time I would have picked the B over the T.
Like you said, you can't really go buy the response time they list.
I may have to try it out on my system with the 7800GTX. I have been playing the Prey demo and it looks very good on a 17" NEC LCD. I bet it would be awesome on the 20" screen.

Clay
06-24-06, 12:01 AM
Cool! That is one nice display. :cool:

superklye
06-24-06, 12:28 AM
I am LOVING it! It's got great manueverability and the picture quality is fantastic. I played FEAR for about 40 minutes and it ROCKED!

I can't believe I've been missing this for how many years?

And don't worry, Mike. It's far enough away. :D

Starscream
06-24-06, 01:03 AM
I'm not an LCD fan though I agree Samsung makes good ones. My business partner uses 2 Samsung 213T's and he loves them.

Saibot
06-24-06, 02:27 AM
I've been running two of these in a dual monitor setup for a couple months. These are my first LCD's and now I could never go back to CRT. The picture is just so sharp and bright - OMG it makes me glad that my old display started flaking out so I had to upgrade. I usually disable the second display when I'm gaming. I've never seen any ghosting at all, and even when you have to game at a lower resolution it still looks great. Of course if you run the desktop at a non-native resolution it doesn't look so good - but why the heck would you do that. The best part is that both of these together draw less power than my old 19" CRT.

mike686
06-24-06, 03:14 AM
It's a great display, only thing that bothers me about the 204b is the color shift from top to bottom.

superklye
06-24-06, 08:58 AM
It's a great display, only thing that bothers me about the 204b is the color shift from top to bottom.
I haven't noticed that and hopefully I don't. :D

And I'll try to post pics. I'll have to borrow the roommate's camera in order to do it. :)

superklye
06-25-06, 10:51 AM
w00t! It's on sale for $30 off instantly this week at Best Buy...price adjustment ftw!

Superfly
06-25-06, 01:47 PM
Nice screen dude, I run a Samsung - good panels.

top3koms
06-25-06, 01:56 PM
Nice monitor :thumbsup: I've had mine since Best Buy started carrying them ,just couldn't resist when I 1st saw it there.

stevemedes
06-25-06, 02:02 PM
Nice man! Congrats on yer new panel! I just got a new display myself, an LG 19" w/ 1280x1024 native... I was thinking about going with the BENQ 20" widescreen but theres no way my current video card can support those high resolutions and maintain playable framerates (at least at the IQ level i want) so i went with an LG 19". Its a fantastic monitor though, great contrast ratio 1400:1, very bright also. I was impatient so I bought it at best buy for $289.

superklye
06-25-06, 06:17 PM
Thanks. :D This thing is goregous...the most I use it, the more I love it and the more I want to ditch my 17" LCD and get a second, especially since it's on sale this week...

Must...resist...urge...to buy.

einstein_314
06-25-06, 07:13 PM
Thanks. :D This thing is goregous...the most I use it, the more I love it and the more I want to ditch my 17" LCD and get a second, especially since it's on sale this week...

Must...resist...urge...to buy.
Lol. Do it!!! :D You know you want a second one :p.

Saibot
06-25-06, 08:50 PM
I agree - two is oh so sweet.

gmontem
07-24-06, 12:32 AM
Resurrected this thread for a question.

Newegg has a nice sale on this monitor right now. I'm about to take the plunge and buy this because quite frankly I'm tired of my 21" CRT turning my bedroom into an oven. All the windows are open and it's still hot in here. Man I wish I have A/C. :( But anyway as for my question -- does this use an 8-bit panel?

Newegg says the monitor uses a "a-si TFT/TN LCD" for its panel but I haven't a clue if that's good or not. :o

K-1
07-24-06, 04:02 AM
hmm, samsung site doesn't specifically say, but it does list the max colors for the monitor as being 16.7 million, which is the max colors of an 8 bit LCD, so I'd wager that the 204b is 8-bit :D.

Saibot
07-24-06, 04:35 AM
Well I searched all around and couldn't come up with a definite answer - however I found an interesting page that leads me to believe they really are 8-bit panels. There is a link to a small grey-scale picture that you have to download and then zoom to fullscreen. On a 6-bit panel there is supposed to be a lot of dithering and crap visible and I saw nothing like that - looked smooth and clean.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GkGu