PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the heat?

Pages : [1] 2

EazyDuz14
06-24-06, 09:28 AM
My graphics card is...

Now its summer and my computer is in a desk my graphics card idles at 60C.It reaches 87C when playing Condemned on high settings. I have also over clocked the memory clock and 3D clock 20mhz each. It has made a small increase in performance, and the temperature has only gone up by about 2C.

Ive had my 6600GT for a year and 3 months now, i would say it has ran its moneys worth. Im looking forward to DX 10, i may consider a way of cooling my new card down, unless it has a good fan on it to start with. Im going to spend alot of money on a good DX10 card when they are released, i will wait a while though because more DX 10 features will be added as it goes along, i dont want an early card and miss out on all the later features. Do you think 300-400 will be enough for a "nothing below 50 fps" game experience?
So what temperatures are your cards? My core threshold temperature is 145C, so 87C must be pretty safe.
Please reply.

Xion X2
06-24-06, 09:34 AM
My GTX is clocked to 700/840; it idles at 43C and never goes over 60C on full load w/ the stock cooler on it. I have two 120mm Thermaltake 78cfm fans sucking air in from the front of my case--one on top, one on bottom--and one 120mm (same model) pushing air out the back behind my CPU. I have a couple of 80mm fans fitted inbetween, but they don't do much.

EazyDuz14
06-24-06, 09:38 AM
No wonder then....
I think my computer just has 2 fans, one on the card and one big one somewhere inside it. The design of the case makes it quite cool anyway, its just because its in this desk compartment.

K007
06-24-06, 10:09 AM
If its summer..nothing much you can do unless you can get a AC, because all you do is suck in hot air inside the cpu.and blow out hot air..in Australia during summer..my pc is so hot..when its not even on :/..and the case inside is much cooler than outside..really sux...its winter in aus now >< its like 35C CPU and 39C GPU idle lol

EazyDuz14
06-25-06, 10:34 AM
Wow, i ran a video i found from a different forum (some marble things flying around, apparently it uses 100% power from your g card) and my card reached 90C!

For those in the UK you know its pretty damn hot today, ill just check the thermometer.... it says its 25C in the kitchen (coolest part of the house!) and i have just been helping my dad knock this concrete pillar down outside and its easily 28C, so i guess 90C isnt much of a shock. 145C is the core slowdown so it cant be that bad.
Weird thing is, when i OC the 3D and core clock by 30 mhz each, it only goes up by 2 degrees! How come?
Also, will 30mhz even make a difference?

EazyDuz14
06-25-06, 01:16 PM
Man my card is reaching 93C now, summer will be a strain for my card.....

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 01:26 PM
Still not bad, nothing to worry about..

a12ctic
06-25-06, 01:35 PM
my 6600GT idles at 43-46C and loads @ 57-60C

you must have really bad airflow or a hot house :p

K007
06-25-06, 01:44 PM
IT goes upto 40-50C in AUS during summer..cant wait :(

EazyDuz14
06-25-06, 01:51 PM
Still not bad, nothing to worry about..

I think it is, i was starting to see tiny fuzzy lines that flashed on screen.

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 01:56 PM
I think it is, i was starting to see tiny fuzzy lines that flashed on screen.

Then make more airflow in your case... I know I got my 6800GT up to 95C before without an issue.

EazyDuz14
06-25-06, 01:58 PM
Then make more airflow in your case... I know I got my 6800GT up to 95C before without an issue.

Im not adding a new fan, no point as DX10 will be out soon. I might just leave the card to fry, and claim a refund if it does.

Burnt_Ram
06-25-06, 02:00 PM
i played COD2/MP last night for over an hour. my room temp was around 28c, and my card's hit about 75c. not one glitch tho. thank god, and it's only gunna get hotter here !

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 02:01 PM
Im not adding a new fan, no point as DX10 will be out soon. I might just leave the card to fry, and claim a refund if it does.

You don't want to give your PC case more airflow after seeing that its not effiecent enough?

EazyDuz14
06-25-06, 02:06 PM
You don't want to give your PC case more airflow after seeing that its not effiecent enough?

I dont know how. Also, my card never used to get this hot. Mayb the fan motor is dying.

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 02:08 PM
I dont know how. Also, my card never used to get this hot. Mayb the fan motor is dying.

Open up your case and look where you can add more fans to the case (not the card). The problem probably is that your not exausting the hot air from your PC good enough. I would also check for dust...

EazyDuz14
06-25-06, 02:31 PM
Open up your case and look where you can add more fans to the case (not the card). The problem probably is that your not exausting the hot air from your PC good enough. I would also check for dust...

There is not any dust hardly and the air exhausting is fine.

Superhuman
06-25-06, 03:49 PM
Dude, make sure your card is free of dust!

Have you ever cleaned the dust out of it?

Oh, and 93 degrees is wayyyy too hot. You're gonna kill the card.

grey_1
06-25-06, 04:30 PM
Do you have enough room to take your pc out of the desk for the summer? Keep the side panel off, maybe a small house fan blowing over the components.

Dude, make sure your card is free of dust!

Have you ever cleaned the dust out of it?

True..my 6800GT used to get huge globs of dust built up in the hsf.

Xion X2
06-25-06, 07:11 PM
Anyone who says 93C "still is not bad" for a graphics card loves to spend new money on new graphics cards.

K007
06-25-06, 07:39 PM
95C on ure gt ><..even during the temps here in AUS it didnt go above 80C for me. I had NV Silencer though..and that thing just rocks.

Hehe in othernews..gotta love winter in aus..my idle now is 34C lol

And yea that 6800GT with dust thing..it fills up quiet alot had to clean it every now and then

adpr 02
06-25-06, 10:41 PM
OH YES. GOd.

My system is really OC'd, but I modded everything to make it completely silent. I mean. I have the quietest fans, and I run them at 5v. U can hear my hard drive heads moving, and my hard drive is a quiet sata2.

with the heat, I noticed my computer stuttering. 2 days ago, it wouldn't start anymore. I opened it up, and found out that my modded northbridge heatsynk is hot enough to boil water. I had to raise my voltage on my northbridge fan.... damn. there goes silence. heh. it's still quiet as hell thogh. (the fan is rated at a max of 20db at12v.)

j0j081
06-25-06, 10:54 PM
Those temps aren't horrible but that's the worst I'd let them get. My 6800 used to get up to close to 90 so I was forced to buy and addon cooler and it's been on of the best purchases I've made for my pc. I don't have uber cool temps now like some people but it never gets even close to as hot as before.

Rytr
06-25-06, 11:09 PM
If you clean everything and that does not help try running with the side panel off and monitor temps. If the temps go down you have poor air flow thru the case. The only long term solution is improving case air flow with better fans (unfortunately probably more). Short term solution is mount an extra fan blowing directly on your card.
Although your temps are not alarming they are of concern and need improving. You may not make the DX10 date if your temps go up much more. I have seen cards go with temps consistantly running above 92C.

Redeemed
06-26-06, 02:21 AM
I also agree that you must do something. As has been mentioned already, it sounds like you either have a dust build up, need more or better fans ("better" as in fans that move more air), or both.

Take the side panel off of your PC. Check to see ANY dust build up on the video card's heatsink and fan, the CPU's heatsink and fan, and for dust that might be trapped in the grille for your system fans.

Remove as much of the dust as you can. While you are at it, check for any possible places where you can add a fan to your case. Then purchase a fan for any available fan add on spots. Just be sure to get a good fan that moves a decent amount of air (though it doesn't need to be too extreme either).

If those two things don't work, you might consider getting a new cooler for your video card. Together, you might be looking at just over $50 for another fan and then the cooler for your vcard. Not too much $$$ if it will add another year or so of use to your system.