PDA

View Full Version : Accessing a harddrive in windows without formatting?

nVidiaGuru
06-24-06, 01:22 PM
Heres the deal, this computer is a 2 drive setup 1 60gig for the OS (windows xp pro) and 1 300gb for data storage. The 300gb is new but it started acting up saying files were corrupt then it would disappear and then show up again. I reinstalled xp to the 60gb just to see if that might possibly fix it and now its showing up fine but its asking me to format the 300gb to access it.

so my question: is there anyway to access this drive without having to format it? i would like to get all the music off of it atleast

grey_1
06-24-06, 04:02 PM
I'm guessing it's a sata drive? Have you tried a different port? Also your sig shows raid, if your bios is still set for raid it probably won't detect your new one properly.

nVidiaGuru
06-24-06, 06:26 PM
oops my fault i didnt specify thats its not the computer in my sig

Its 2 ide drives, the drive is showing up as it should in windows now that i reinstalled xp. The problem is windows wont let me access it without a format

CaptNKILL
06-24-06, 06:42 PM
oops my fault i didnt specify thats its not the computer in my sig

Its 2 ide drives, the drive is showing up as it should in windows now that i reinstalled xp. The problem is windows wont let me access it without a format
Can you hook the drive to another system? Usually if windows wont access a drive and tells you to format it, its because windows simply cannot read the formating on the drive.

Id say something on the drive is screwed up or its an incompatible file system (which isnt likely).

If it does the same thing on another system, you'll have to get some data recovery software to get that drive going without losing everything.

nekrosoft13
06-24-06, 09:13 PM
active partition recover can recover your partition, its a dos program

nVidiaGuru
06-25-06, 09:05 PM
thanks a ton guys, ill give it a shot

if i run into any problems ill know where to ask :D