PDA

View Full Version : Best NF4 939 board..

Pages : [1] 2

Riptide
06-25-06, 02:53 PM
I have reason to believe my A8N-SLI might be flakey. I'm not sure what board to get for a replacement. I have a GX2 if it matters.

The below seem like good candidates. Suggestions? The A8N32 has dual 16x slots which is nice. Just not sure what to get...

A8N32 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568
DFI NF4-DR - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136151

OWA
06-25-06, 03:09 PM
I like ASUS but I don't like the layout of the A8N32 for SLI. If you ever go SLI you have to put a card in between the two graphics cards. I prefer the layout of the premium where the bottom slot ends up being free when you use SLI. Of course, the Premium isn't dual 16x.

The DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert has the nice SLI layout and recently I purchased one but I had issues with it so I had to RMA it. I really liked it's feature set and options though.

jAkUp
06-25-06, 03:16 PM
Dfi.

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 03:27 PM
DFI

I don't think I will ever buy another none DFI board ever again... this board is perfect.

grey_1
06-25-06, 03:32 PM
Dfi

Riptide
06-25-06, 03:47 PM
The ASUS has the dual 16x and 8 phase power circuitry. I'm also sort of partial to ASUS having had good experiences in the past.

That said if enough people keep voting for the DFI I will get it instead. So far it's 3:1. :)

OWA
06-25-06, 03:53 PM
Asus
Asus
Asus
Asus

Does that count? :p Just kidding

rflair
06-25-06, 03:55 PM
I'm on my second DFI board, had an NF3 and now this NF4, great boards, once you try DFI you will be amazed at its configurability.

That said I've had ASUS boards and maybe not as configurable as the DFI good boards none the less.

I'd say DFI.

Riptide
06-25-06, 03:58 PM
DFI seems to have about at least 3 different Lanparty NF4 SLI boards. I don't want the expert since I have no plans on o/c at all. Any reason I should get something other than the one I linked to in the original post?

a12ctic
06-25-06, 04:01 PM
DFI or MSI, msi boards are generally cheaper and need a bios update, but they are by far the best price/performance boards ive ever used, they always work perfectly after grabbing the latest bios and they usualy look pretty nice as well (mine is black).

ive generaly had a bad experience with asus and intel specificaly, they always seem like cheapy boards. DFI and MSI seem to be the best quality boards.

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 04:03 PM
The Expert isn't just for OCing, it improves compatability aswell as offer more features and stability. I highly recommend it. If your just set on not getting it then normal none Expert but I don't see why you would when Newegg has the Expert for $10 cheaper. ;)

Riptide
06-25-06, 04:04 PM
How does the expert improve compatibility and stability?

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 04:06 PM
Bios and better made components. The original DR had some issues with certain RAMs.

Riptide
06-25-06, 04:10 PM
So the expert has better made components than the ASUS board as well?

Rytr
06-25-06, 04:11 PM
I will throw in a different opinion. :D

While not achieving the overclock levels of the DFI Expert, the K8N Diamond Plus is a nice full-featured board from MSI. The Creative on-board sound solution is way ahead of the others.

For personal use I have stuck with MSI board since reviewing here at NVNEWS. I do not like the hassle of sound cards since I change configurations frequently and the on-board sound of the K8N and P4N serve me well. Stability and performance have been very reliable and that is important for my personal use.

a12ctic
06-25-06, 04:12 PM
definatly, most asus boards are acualy made quite cheaply, although id take a look at msi before you buy ;)

exactly rytr ;)

Riptide
06-25-06, 04:13 PM
No offense guys. After the Neo2 I'm done with MSI. That was a horrible experience.

|MaguS|
06-25-06, 04:14 PM
So the expert has better made components than the ASUS board as well?

I couldn't say, I haven't used an Asus board in a long time. I do know that DFI claims to use some of the best components in the industry.

Riptide
06-25-06, 04:19 PM
I'll be honest guys. I'm really leaning towards the ASUS.

But if one more person comes in here and swears by that DFI I'll do it. :p

jAkUp
06-25-06, 04:21 PM
The DFI uses better capacitors. Basically its an Oskar Wu board. So yes, it owns :D

I have used Asus a couple of times, I have both the P4C800SE and the A8N-SLI Premium. In all honosty, I really don't like either of them. Too many useless features, and bad layout.

einstein_314
06-25-06, 04:30 PM
Lol, well, looks like you're gettings the DFI :D I have a SLI-DR (non expert) and it is outstanding. By far the best mobo I've ever owned. Rock solid and so many options. I'd probably get the expert version though. It's cheaper too. The one you linked in the original post is the exact one I have. It has alot of accessories that you may or may not need. It has 2 UV rounded IDE cables and a floppy one too. The frontX panel - basically just a bay to put on your case that you can plug a bunch of external stuff to...I havent' even taken that one out of the box. What else...oh yeah, some UV cable sleaving and shrink wrap. Oh yeah and the only useful thing to me, the PC transpo!! The carrying strap for a computer case. Very handy for LAN Parties :D

But if I were to buy another SLI-DR it would be the expert version. Mostly for the increased space between the PCIe connectors...

CaptNKILL
06-25-06, 04:30 PM
DFI FTW! :D
a

Riptide
06-25-06, 04:37 PM
OK DFI it is. Thanks guys.

One last question sort of unrelated. For the 3.3v figure in my BIOS I get a reading of 3.24v. Is that something which would cause instability or is that close enough?

Rytr
06-25-06, 04:41 PM
No offense guys. After the Neo2 I'm done with MSI. That was a horrible experience.

No offense taken. :) Stating what you like and don't like is important.
I would just recommend you never say never and that goes double for mobos. I have sent back boards that I would not post a review on because they were POS. That is not to say they had some good features it is just that they did not perform efficiently in all areas.

The fastest board I have ever owned was a previous version from the current DFI boards. After two months I had already changed to a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI. I still have the K8NXP even tho the X8 SLI slots are too close, it's a switching chip arrangement, and the DIMM slots are too close. Otherwise, it's a solid performer and stable. The EPoX SLI board I have in my sig would be a contender...too bad it's just X8 SLI. The new X16's from EPoX might be something to look at, I just have no knowledge of their performance.

Again, I will vouch for the MSI I mentioned as a quality feature-rich board and with a recommended bios update will accept the 7950 cards.

rflair
06-25-06, 05:08 PM
OK DFI it is. Thanks guys.

One last question sort of unrelated. For the 3.3v figure in my BIOS I get a reading of 3.24v. Is that something which would cause instability or is that close enough?

I wouldn't worry, take a multimeter to it its probablly dead on 3.3v.
Both the BIOS and Motherboard monitor read my 5v line at 4.85, but the mutilmeter reads a solid 5v all the time.