PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to buy a new PC?

Nv40
06-26-06, 08:17 PM
With Conroe that will be released in next few months , and rumors saying that AMD will lower their prices alot in end JULY . ?

I will like to get a new atlon AM2 5000+ with a nice M/B and at least 2GB of memory . i dont want to pay extra for the same ,i was thinking that even if CPU's will be lowered ,everything else will be a lot more expensive if i dont buy now ,including memory that now is cheap ,but can be very expensive overnight if something else happens ,like short supplies or perhaps if in back to school time manufacturers choose increase their prices..

I dont know whether to wait a couple of months or buy now.
My question is generally speaking what season of the year is more cheapier to buy a full computer system in your experiences. ? im not very interested buying a Dx10 gpu ,i will be fine with Directx9 ,so mostly is about everything else ,like memory ,Cpu and M/b.

CDE_1246
06-27-06, 12:26 AM
The cheapest place if u didnt already know is newegg.com for all computer parts u can get 2gb of Ram for a really good price, you can also get good cpu for a good price. Theres always like one day sales on stuff or weekend sales and they drop the price on stuff alot you should buy now but look on the website and wait for the sales on the stuff like the ram and cpu and thats how u can get it for cheap and theres always saled on video cards too. You should get your computer done early so it can be ready for upcoming games and stuff.

a12ctic
06-27-06, 12:29 AM
check newegg the end of july, amd chips are getting a huge price cut and the 7 series should be cheaper as well

ViN86
06-27-06, 07:53 AM
best time to by a PC imo is:

1) after the dust clears from this conroe/AM2 debacle - whoever ends up on top, go with that. conroe has some real performance gains, but AM2 has a rumored reverse-hyperthreading that could claim the crown. just wait to see whos on top and go with that.

2) after some DX10 cards get released. they probably wont be fully SM4.0 compliant (if one is, get it :drooling:) - but go with whichever card has better performance. rumor has it ATI's R600 will be better, but that cannot be for certain, because the G80 details havent been released yet. im betting on G80 :D

both AM2 and conroe use DDR2, so you can purchase that now. i recommend a 2GB kit.

Nv40
06-27-06, 04:24 PM
Conroe benchamrks looks very promizing however the benchmaks i have seen only test Top of the line Conroe that most likely will cost an arm and leg. even was thinking of buying a dual opteron.

This waiting sucks..
Does anyone knows if Conroe cpu can work with less that DDR2 800 memory ? i was thinking in buying 6xx DDR2 memory that is very cheap.

walterman
06-27-06, 08:03 PM
Buy the gfx card in first place !

Then buy the rest of the system.

I had all my other parts since 7800GTX 512 launch, but no cards arrived to Europe, so i had to wait till 7900GTX. 3-4 months later.

Tuork
06-30-06, 05:05 PM
I am in the same position as yourself, except I unfortunately do not have PCIe. I have not yet decided whether to go AMD or Intel, but both paths will surely cost me a pretty penny.
The other problem is exactly the same one I had 2 years ago. I will be in the States only next month, dab smack in the middle of the Conroe release. There are ways of me getting the pretty hardware, but I'd have to pay heavy shipping fees, which I'd rather skip. Plus, my current system has reached it's apex.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Option A: Hold on
Hold off until early next year, around the G80/Vista release and buy a 20.1 widescreen BenQ LCD I've so desperately fallen in love with. I can probably part my current rig for some decent prices where I live.

Option B: Cash out
Purchase the following and sell my current rig once I get back home:
-E6300
-nforce570 SLi
-7900GT (I wouldn't mind getting a 7600gt if need be)
-1GB (if I can, 2GB) of DDR2
That would mean no new pretty widescreen LCD, but basically a new rig: dual core, DDR2 (possibly 2 GB), SLi capability for the future.

A variant of option B is to go AM2, given all the price cuts and all.

What do you guys think I should do???
Upgrading is a really stressful time for my brain and wallet due to travelling/etc, but it has it's payoffs.

For the record, my sig is out of date. I have 1GB geil memory, 200GB HDD; and a 6800GT OC. (Will update immediately after posting this)

six_storm
07-01-06, 12:51 AM
I would wait until the beginning of next year just because of all the new stuff coming out soon. That way, you'll see who is better and also maybe a few price drops. I'm starting my next build in January/Feburary. I'll wait with ya! :D

KoRnfR3ak
07-01-06, 05:48 AM
I am in the same position as yourself, except I unfortunately do not have PCIe. I have not yet decided whether to go AMD or Intel, but both paths will surely cost me a pretty penny.
The other problem is exactly the same one I had 2 years ago. I will be in the States only next month, dab smack in the middle of the Conroe release. There are ways of me getting the pretty hardware, but I'd have to pay heavy shipping fees, which I'd rather skip. Plus, my current system has reached it's apex.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Option A: Hold on
Hold off until early next year, around the G80/Vista release and buy a 20.1 widescreen BenQ LCD I've so desperately fallen in love with. I can probably part my current rig for some decent prices where I live.

Option B: Cash out
Purchase the following and sell my current rig once I get back home:
-E6300
-nforce570 SLi
-7900GT (I wouldn't mind getting a 7600gt if need be)
-1GB (if I can, 2GB) of DDR2
That would mean no new pretty widescreen LCD, but basically a new rig: dual core, DDR2 (possibly 2 GB), SLi capability for the future.

A variant of option B is to go AM2, given all the price cuts and all.

What do you guys think I should do???
Upgrading is a really stressful time for my brain and wallet due to travelling/etc, but it has it's payoffs.

For the record, my sig is out of date. I have 1GB geil memory, 200GB HDD; and a 6800GT OC. (Will update immediately after posting this)
With my current rig, I would go for Option A.
Since ur current system has reached it's apex, and you'll be in the States in the middle of the Conroe release, go for Option B.
But... make absolutely sure that in February 2007 you can get some of your money back by selling your E6300 and 7900GT. Then you can buy a DX10 GPU and a quad-core CPU. That will keep you ready for anything until 2008, like Crysis or UT2007 or and Windows Vista.

And about ur 20.1 widescreen BenQ LCD. You have the top 19" Samsung CRT 997DF model. Is it worth to gain 2" screensize but loose 1Mpixels resolution, from 1920x1440(2.76Mpixels) to 1680x1050(1.76Mpixels) ?? Only if you desperately need to save desk space. It's better to save more $ and next year buy a 24" LCD 1920x1200 Dell 2407 or Samsung 244T. They will be cheaper by then.

Tuork
07-02-06, 04:07 PM
With my current rig, I would go for Option A.
Since ur current system has reached it's apex, and you'll be in the States in the middle of the Conroe release, go for Option B.
But... make absolutely sure that in February 2007 you can get some of your money back by selling your E6300 and 7900GT. Then you can buy a DX10 GPU and a quad-core CPU. That will keep you ready for anything until 2008, like Crysis or UT2007 or and Windows Vista.

And about ur 20.1 widescreen BenQ LCD. You have the top 19" Samsung CRT 997DF model. Is it worth to gain 2" screensize but loose 1Mpixels resolution, from 1920x1440(2.76Mpixels) to 1680x1050(1.76Mpixels) ?? Only if you desperately need to save desk space. It's better to save more $ and next year buy a 24" LCD 1920x1200 Dell 2407 or Samsung 244T. They will be cheaper by then.

Thanks for the adevice. The idea of upgrading at both dates seems like a solid judgement. The 20.1 LCD I like because it's, well, an LCD, and because I have my monitor at 1280*1024 (I don't like things tooooo tiny).
Also, I would now have widescreen, which is always a plus. :D

BTW, I just got to NY. :)

Peoples-Agent
07-03-06, 04:52 AM
I'm waiting until after Xmas, Conroe dust has settled... Vista is closer so we might see DX10 cards too. Just makes sense.

Buying the RAM now might be a good idea though, soon as DDR2 becomes the norm the prices will rise.

Tuork
07-03-06, 10:32 AM
I'm waiting until after Xmas, Conroe dust has settled... Vista is closer so we might see DX10 cards too. Just makes sense.

Buying the RAM now might be a good idea though, soon as DDR2 becomes the norm the prices will rise.

Really?
I would think that prices would go down rather than up...

Nv40
07-03-06, 01:55 PM
It took 2 years to the first Dx9 wave of Dx9 games to showup after the radeon9700pro (first DIrectx9 card in the market) was released. unless 3dmarks count as a "game". IT will not be diferent this time GUys ,it will take 2 years at the least to start seeing games that really use directx10 for graphics. The reason is always the same. PC games are done using the best average hardware available today to target a wider audience. Games cant be done with hardware that doesnt exist yet.And with PS3 and XBox360 being Directx9+ ,developers with plans to port their games to consoles will have no choice to make their games in the following years at best Sm3.0+ level. its quite possible that by the time we see Directx10 to take off ,Sony and Microsoft will have already close to launch their very next PS4 and XBox460. Crysis and Dx10 is just PR marketing (just like FArcry patch for 64bits) ,the game is 100% done using Dx9 hardware ,and there is no way for that game to ship in a few months later in the year if they change the renderer to something diferent than Dx9. in the best case Dx10 minor tweak$ could be added months laters to just to help Vista sales after the game being released.

Tuork
07-04-06, 11:44 AM
It took 2 years to the first Dx9 wave of Dx9 games to showup after the radeon9700pro (first DIrectx9 card in the market) was released. unless 3dmarks count as a "game". IT will not be diferent this time GUys ,it will take 2 years at the least to start seeing games that really use directx10 for graphics. The reason is always the same. PC games are done using the best average hardware available today to target a wider audience. Games cant be done with hardware that doesnt exist yet.And with PS3 and XBox360 being Directx9+ ,developers with plans to port their games to consoles will have no choice to make their games in the following years at best Sm3.0+ level. its quite possible that by the time we see Directx10 to take off ,Sony and Microsoft will have already close to launch their very next PS4 and XBox460. Crysis and Dx10 is just PR marketing (just like FArcry patch for 64bits) ,the game is 100% done using Dx9 hardware ,and there is no way for that game to ship in a few months later in the year if they change the renderer to something diferent than Dx9. in the best case Dx10 minor tweak$ could be added months laters to just to help Vista sales after the game being released.

You have a pretty good point there...
There's also the fact that the release of the G80 will be enthusiast level cards, which are always $500 or so. I'm can't afford said cards, so either way I would wait until mid-range cards come out, which would mean a couple of months more. My best bet right now is a 7900GT, and IF I need to cut back, a 7600GT, which is still pretty damn good.

Thre real question is the whole processor deal. I know DDR2 is the way to go, be it AM2 or Conroe, but I'm still not sure what route to take.