PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to AM2 or 939?

Pages : [1] 2

MinorTthreat
06-28-06, 07:12 AM
I am going to upgrade to a A64 X2 from my current set up. I will be funding it by selling my three 7800 GT cards and other hardware. I should have enough to get an X2 3800+, Motherboard, and 7900GT.
I am leaning to using my current memory and going 939 with a SLI motherboard. If I go AM2 it means I need new memory and will have to get a cheap motherboard. I am totaly stumped!?!? What should I do!?:o I am fearful of going 939 and missing out on some hidden performance tweak in the AM2 like the rumoured "anti-hyperthreading"...help

ViN86
06-28-06, 08:00 AM
get a DFI SLi expert board and a socket939 X2.

however, check out the performance of conroe boards first. there could be some incredible mobos at cheap prices, so just wait a little bit before making your purchase.

supra
06-28-06, 08:36 AM
do u plan to upgrade to ddr2 sometime?

Starscream
06-28-06, 09:49 AM
AM2 of course!

939 is now essentially a dead platform, AMD is stopping production of all 939 cpu's except the X2 4800 and even that will stop after a while. Even freaking socket 754 is going to have a longer life than 939.

MinorTthreat
06-28-06, 10:05 AM
do u plan to upgrade to ddr2 sometime?
If I go AM2, yes. If I choose 939, then no. That is the proplem... New mems or nice motherboard with SLI.
I am a little nervous about the nF5. They will prolly intro a nF6 soon just like they did with the nF3 that I jumped on.
Maybe I should wait till the conroe release and see what the prices do but I may loose hours of my life using NERO Recode2.... Is X2 alot faster for Recode2?

walterman
06-28-06, 10:33 AM
If you're going to buy the memory too, get DDR2 + Conroe.

Mr_LoL
06-28-06, 12:27 PM
If you're going to buy the memory too, get DDR2 + Conroe.

QFT. Better bang for buck going with conroe.

walterman
06-28-06, 03:56 PM
I dunno if he's going to use his old DDR1 memory or buying new one.
Prolly some old DDR1 mobos for P4 LGA775 will support Conroe too.

ViN86
06-28-06, 06:21 PM
If I go AM2, yes. If I choose 939, then no. That is the proplem... New mems or nice motherboard with SLI.
I am a little nervous about the nF5. They will prolly intro a nF6 soon just like they did with the nF3 that I jumped on.
Maybe I should wait till the conroe release and see what the prices do but I may loose hours of my life using NERO Recode2.... Is X2 alot faster for Recode2?
oh, i thought you meant that youre not going to buy DDR2.

in that case, i would wait for conroe.

superklye
06-28-06, 08:25 PM
whatever you do, wait until 7/24. AMD is slashing prices MASSIVELY.

Plus, it'll give more time for this business about reverse hyper-threading to be sorted out.

Tygerwoody
06-28-06, 08:30 PM
Conroe is the only choice

a12ctic
06-28-06, 08:43 PM
lol @ tygerwoody

superklye
06-28-06, 09:15 PM
lol @ tygerwoody
QFT

Riptide
06-29-06, 08:14 AM
Conroe is the only choiceUnless you're a fanboy. I have a couple friends who won't even try Conroe no matter what anyone says because Intel is "junk".

MinorTthreat
06-29-06, 08:30 AM
Will Conroe be supported on current motherboards? I could buy some fast DDR2 and a Pentium D 805 plus a cheap nF4 SLI INtel edition for less than a X2 3800+ proc, to hold me over till it all pans out. Prolly be much faster than my 754 pin 3000+ at Recode and I could hold on to 2 of my 7800 GT's.

Tygerwoody
06-29-06, 01:02 PM
Unless you're a fanboy. I have a couple friends who won't even try Conroe no matter what anyone says because Intel is "junk".
Yea, I'm an Intel Fanboi(ignore my current CPU)

I have regreted my purchase of AMD ever since I bought it. Intel might have not always been the fastest, but they have the BEST chipsets hands down and you very rarely have to worry about stability issues. I'd rather be using my old 2.4c intel chip than this 4000+ I am now. Maybe my problem is I didn't buy a dual core chip, but my PC experience with the 2.4c was MUCH better than this AMD crap. Not faster because I'll be the first to say this 4000+ is much faster,however my 2.4c was just smoother. I rarely experienced a slowdown. With this AMD chip I slow down all the time. Whether thats a motherboard thing, or CPU thing, either way I'd rather be with intel on both accounts.

a12ctic
06-29-06, 01:43 PM
Unless you're a fanboy. I have a couple friends who won't even try Conroe no matter what anyone says because Intel is "junk".
your freinds are right, 2 dead p4's in 3 years, that definatly qualifies as junk, neither were overclocked, stock settings with stock fans. Ive never had a cpu just die on me like the intel chips did, their temps wernt even that overwelming.

Zelda_fan
06-29-06, 01:52 PM
your freinds are right, 2 dead p4's in 3 years, that definatly qualifies as junk, neither were overclocked, stock settings with stock fans. Ive never had a cpu just die on me like the intel chips did, their temps wernt even that overwelming.

lol sucks for you. As for the rest of us, we'll take Intel and their superior chips.

Riptide
06-29-06, 02:25 PM
lol sucks for you. As for the rest of us, we'll take Intel and their superior chips.

Never seen a desktop CPU simply die for no obvious reason yet. From any manufacturer.

a12ctic
06-29-06, 02:36 PM
superior? rigged maby, superior no, i dont buy a single one of these reviews, the xeon's based on the core2 are ahead of the opterons but only by a little margin and even lose in some benchies...

Zelda_fan
06-29-06, 02:43 PM
superior? rigged maby, superior no, i dont buy a single one of these reviews, the xeon's based on the core2 are ahead of the opterons but only by a little margin and even lose in some benchies...

Yep, you found us out. Intel has rigged all the review sites. No one is to be trusted but AMD.

Tuork
06-29-06, 08:59 PM
PEOPLE, people.... please refrain from continuing your obnoxious fan-wars in EVERY single upgrade thread. Seriously, it's getting way above annoying now. Give it a rest. I am in the almost exact position as MinorThreat, and I hoped I could get some insight in this thread.

Now, GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC.

@ MinorThreat: I am in the same position as yourself, except I unfortunately do not have PCIe. I have not yet decided whether to go AMD or Intel, but both paths will surely cost me a pretty penny.
The other problem is exactly the same one I had 2 years ago. I will be in the States only next month, dab smack in the middle of the Conroe release. There are ways of me getting the pretty hardware, but I'd have to pay heavy shipping fees, which I'd rather skip. Plus, my current system has reached it's apex.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Option A: Hold on
Hold off until early next year, around the G80/Vista release and buy a 20.1 widescreen BenQ LCD I've so desperately fallen in love with. I can probably part my current rig for some decent prices where I live.

Option B: Cash out
Purchase the following and sell my current rig once I get back home:
-E6300
-nforce570 SLi
-7900GT
-1GB (if I can, 2GB) of DDR2
That would mean no new pretty widescreen LCD, but basically a new rig: dual core, DDR2 (possibly 2 GB), SLi capability for the future.

A variant of option B is to go AM2, given all the price cuts and all.

What do you guys think I should do???
Upgrading is a really stressful time for my brain and wallet due to travelling/etc, but it has it's payoffs.

For the record, my sig is out of date. I have 1GB geil memory, 200GB HDD; and a 6800GT OC. (Will update immediately after posting this)

EDIT: Oh yeah... question: I have a thermaltake silent purepower 480w PSU. Will it suffice, or do you recommend a new one?

jAkUp
06-29-06, 09:14 PM

I have had 0 dead AMD CPU's or Intel CPU's. They both are good.

I used to work at a retailer and hardly ever say any P4's come back. In the 2 years I worked, I think I saw maybe 1 or 2. I sold probably thousands. Same with AMD's, but I think I saw just a couple more of those come back, maybe because they were slightly more popular, but thats besides the point.

Either way, they both are solid CPU's.

jAkUp
06-29-06, 09:52 PM

What about all the end user at XS who ACTUALLY have Conroes? You can buy them on Ebay now!

As a matter of fact, I'm getting a 6300 to play with next week. :D I wanna see how it OC's ;)

Q
06-29-06, 09:58 PM
I've never seen a dead cpu, save for when a dumbass bent the pins or burnt it up. This includes personally, through friends, and for the thousand or so machines I have at my workplace.