PDA

View Full Version : Those who've overclocked a 64MB GF4 Ti 4200 in WinXP - help!

LiquidX
02-07-03, 08:05 AM
Hey guys... how are you doing...fine? thats great!

I have to say even with my hand built systems I have never oc them. I however bought a Dell because it was cheaper than building. I was going to upgrade soon but I have decided to wait to see where this war is heading and to take a chance at oc-ing my lovely Ti4200 which I would propose marriage to if...........

My question!

Is it worth doing.....will my EYES notice a difference?
Do you need extra cooling?
What is the most RELIABLE program to do this with?
If you did it what is the most stable speed you have it at?

Remember this is a Dell 8200 where the CPU has a powerful vacum like fan over it. So the card has only its cooling to rely on.

I know sites do this but I would rather the average individuals input. I wish I could pay you all but here is some thanks in advance with more to come if there is help.:)

ragejg
02-07-03, 08:47 AM
I recommend ramsinks at least... Your eyes will notice a difference if you OC from like 250/500 to 310/600 cuz you'll be able to turn like 2 or 3 features up from medium to high...

worth it? yes.

i almost pooped my pants when I oc'ed my $149 ti4200/128 from 250/500 (i think) to 310/560... My 3dmarks were that of a stock ti4600! That's called gettin yer money's worth!

LiquidX
02-07-03, 08:59 AM
Thanks but what is the most RELIABLE program to do this with?

LiquidX
02-07-03, 09:01 AM
And also can this be reversed?

saturnotaku
02-07-03, 09:09 AM
Use RivaTuner. And the best way to find out how high you can OC your video card is simply through trial and error. Go in 5 MHz increments of the core and memory. If you're playing a game and it hardlocks, you know the core is clocked too high. Drop it back down. If you notice artifacts (you'll know what they are when you see them) then your memory is overclocked too much.

If you get uncomfortable, there will be an option in RivaTuner to restore the card back to defaults.

ragejg
02-07-03, 09:23 AM
coolbits is good too... Less options, but it werks:)

ricercar
02-07-03, 12:48 PM
RivaTuner is essentailly an application that changes Windows Registry values in the NVIDIA drivers. You run RivaTuner each time you want to change the video OC settings, and can set it to auto-launch on boot.

Coolbits is a program that adds the overclocking ability to the regular NVIDIA control panel settings for your card. You run Coolbits once and then you use Control Panel->Displays->Advanced settings->[yourcardhere] tab to change the OC settings, and to set the OC to be active each boot.

As a minimalist, I prefer CoolBits because it simply patches the NVIDIA code to access something already there, rather than add a RivaTuner background service.

BTW - You may want to also/ instead OC your FSB if you're looking for overall performance improvements. I got more 3DMarks improvement from OC my FSB than OC my Ti4200 64M.

LiquidX
02-07-03, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys for all the input.....

I did oc my card from around 239/513 to about 300/540 the max for me just to be safe because of heat issues. I then booted up MOHAA/Spearhead multyplay and I have to say I saw no real visual difference or any difference to warrant the oc and possibly causeing damage and voiding my warranty. One thing that changed however and as not returned to normal as of yet is my case fan, it is much louder and even though I defaulted back to normal and let it cooled the noise as still not gone down.

I also have to say it is not becuase my card ran slow or a game gave me trouble why I wanted to oc, in fact it runs like a dream and its just that I cant concieve anything running so much better as to blew it out as I have beem hearing. All of this was just out of curiosity after hearing from others who have done it. Its just getting harder and harder everyday to "convince my self" that I need card upgrade instead of a new 27" sony TV.

I have very fast CPU 2.53 and 512 PC800 Rdam, with specs like that should I really even expect a big difference from the norm?

LiquidX
02-07-03, 08:38 PM
These where my oc'n results useing powerstrip

249/513 3DMark score 11305 (normal mode)

290/590 3DMark score 11852 (oc'ed)

I could not tell any differences, nothing looked more colorful or sharper.....am I am suppose to see visual differnce?(never did this before)

The Baron
02-07-03, 09:00 PM
No visual difference... just speed.

LiquidX
02-07-03, 09:19 PM
No visual difference... just speed.

Grrr......fast enough for me anyway.