PDA

View Full Version : SB X-FI xtreme music problem help!!

Pennyboy
06-29-06, 04:05 PM
Ok, so I ordered and recieved a new SB X-Fi xtreme music yesterday to replace my Audigy 2 ZS and I think the card is Dead On Arrival. I installed it in my rig and the card doesn't even show up in other devices under the device manager. When installing the X-Fi drivers it complains that no card is installed. I tried reseating, different PCI slot and still no go. I even tried the card in my older PIII 1000Mhz rig and the same thing. Is it safe to assume that the card is forked? and I take it you don't need to plug a floppy power connecter into it as it doesn't use the X-Fi I/O Console. My ystem specs are below, I can't remember my BIOS rev. but I only flashed it about 4 months ago so its fairly recent.

Any advise would be great!! before I send it back.

Roadhog
06-29-06, 04:55 PM
you pluged a floppy connector into it? no wonder why its dead.

Neophyte
06-29-06, 04:56 PM
Ok, so I ordered and recieved a new SB X-Fi xtreme music yesterday to replace my Audigy 2 ZS and I think the card is Dead On Arrival. I installed it in my rig and the card doesn't even show up in other devices under the device manager. When installing the X-Fi drivers it complains that no card is installed. I tried reseating, different PCI slot and still no go. I even tried the card in my older PIII 1000Mhz rig and the same thing. Is it safe to assume that the card is forked? and I take it you don't need to plug a floppy power connecter into it as it doesn't use the drive bay. My system specs are below, I can't remember my BIOS rev. but I only flashed it about 4 months ago so its fairly recent.

Any advise would be great!! before I send it back. As a rule of thumb, if there's a power-connector, plug that sucker in. Even if it seems to be working without the power-connector hooked up, it's getting less power than is optimal.

Dunno if the Xtreme has a Floppy Power Connector ^^

Roadhog
06-29-06, 04:59 PM
As a rule of thumb, if there's a power-connector, plug that sucker in. Even if it seems to be working without the power-connector hooked up, it's getting less power than is optimal.

BUT!!! theres no power connector on this card!

Neophyte
06-29-06, 05:03 PM
BUT!!! theres no power connector on this card!

Dunno if the Xtreme has a Floppy Power Connector ^^ +

There is a power connector on the sound card. From the manual:

Powers the X-Fi I/O Console* via the AD_Link connector. Connect a power cable from your computer's power supply to this connector.

You won't need to connect it unless you have the Platinum or higher version of the card and have the I/O Console connected.

Pennyboy
06-29-06, 05:52 PM
you pluged a floppy connector into it? no wonder why its dead.

no I didn't plug the floppy connector in, just asked if I should. But looks like I don't need to because I don't have a X-Fi I/O Console, Neophyte is right. I have read the manual ten times over and it doesn't mention connecting the floppy power. So only need it for Platinum or higher version. I guess the card is dead, I plugged my Audigy 2 ZS in and its fine. Plus Road hog is using his without it.

tacos4me
06-29-06, 06:34 PM
Well if it doesn't work on two different computers there's a good chance it's just dead. :p

I'd RMA it.

Pennyboy
06-29-06, 06:49 PM
Well if it doesn't work on two different computers there's a good chance it's just dead. :p

I'd RMA it.

I have contacted my supplier and have organised an RMA. My new card should hopefully arrive Monday!.

nV`andrew
06-30-06, 10:39 AM
I have contacted my supplier and have organised an RMA. My new card should hopefully arrive Monday!.

yay! :D