PDA

View Full Version : System upgrades

SnakeEyes
02-07-03, 11:33 AM
All the parts I've ordered for my latest upgrade so far finally came in. I've been using a system containing an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU, 512MB Samsung PC2700, AthlonXP 2100+, GF4 Ti4600 (Gainward), Hercules GTXP sound card, add-on firewire PCI card, generic 10/100 PCI NIC, Promise Fasttrak 100 PCI RAID controller, 2x IBM 60GB 7200RPM hdd in RAID0 array, Maxtor 80GB DMA133 2700RPM hard drive, Toshiba DVD-ROM drive, external firewire QPS Que!Fire 161040 CD-RW, firewire Microtek 5800 scanner, Philips 19" monitor (dolp, forgot the model # right now), Logitech corded multimedia keyboard (the one with the scrollwheel on the left side), Logitech MX700 cordless optical mouse AND Logitech Dual Optical mouse (both on USB ports, and either can be used without changing any system settings, woohoo!), and of course, the old standby 3.5" high density floppy disk drive.

The new components are an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 CAS2 LL DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, and the optional Asus SPDIF add-on bracket (giving me optical SPDIF in addition to the current motherboard-based coaxial, and possibly digital input capability, though I'm not certain the input part works yet..). I'm still waiting for the 10th so that I can buy an Athlon XP 2500+ processor (Barton core, 333MHz fsb).

With the new components (especially the motherboard), I replace or completely remove the following:
1. Athlon XP 2100+
2. Gainward GF4Ti4600
3. 2x256MB Samsung PC2700 DDR RAM
4. Generic 10/100 PCI ethernet controller
5. PCI Firewire (1394) controller
6. Hercules GTXP Sound card / breakout box

I've already got someone buying the Ti4600, but I'll be putting the GTXP up for sale on EBay soon, along with an old Matrox G400Max (DualHead) video card and a Microtek C300 scanner (40bit color, 1200x600 optical resolution, USB based).

The only problem so far is that since I only just received the last of the stuff I've been able to order so far, I haven't had a chance to actually perform the transplant surgery. (UT2003 clan match last night, long work day today) So it'll be at least sometime Saturday before I get to try all these new toys out, and sometime next week before I get to see my completely upgraded PC's performance (using the as-yet unavailable 2500+).

fastguy94416
02-07-03, 04:49 PM
Lemme Know about that GTXP if you would like to sell it.

Smokey
02-07-03, 05:10 PM
Nice upgrade :thumbsup: but can I just ask, why are you changing the KT3 Ultra ARU?

SnakeEyes
02-07-03, 06:14 PM
The Via chipset has seriously decreased the performance of my IBM hard drive RAID 0 array. It's a recurrent issue with many Via chipsets. I had the same controller card and hard drives before I upgraded to the KT3 (back when I was using an Asus A7M266 w/T-Bird 1.33), and the hard drives benched almost 1/3 faster than they do with my current setup, despite this having much faster and more up-to-date components. That was really my only complaint with the motherboard, but the fact that the nForce2 also has so much built into it, including the Dolby Digital encoding capabilities (so I can finally have true 5.1 output in everything I listen to now, while at the same time cutting out a bunch of cables) helped make up my mind.

fastguy94416, check your pm's. :)

Smokey
02-07-03, 08:32 PM
Ok, yeah I think Ive read about the RAID problems on this board. The reason I asked is that I find this board to be fast and stable, and supports the 333fsb XPs (v1 unoffically) Im waiting for my folks to send me a new cpu, 512mb ram and heatsink, Ive asked for an XP2800+ t-bred, corsair XMS or OCZ ELL PC3500. Hoping to get this with in the next few weeks, they are working/living in Taiwan for the next 3yrs, so I have to make the most of it ;)

nForce2 is a great board, and would be my choice if I was upgrading, nice system you got there :)

SnakeEyes
02-07-03, 10:17 PM
Thank you. If the Via chipset hadn't caused such a headache with my RAID array, I probably would've hung onto this board a while longer, since everything else works great. In fact, I'm currently using the Maxtor 80GB drive as the boot volume, with all my programs on the RAID0 array volume (the 2 IBM 60GB's). This has shown me that if you're not using IDE RAID, the motherboard's actually quite good. The Maxtor returns benchmark numbers for its performance quite close to my RAID0 array (which is part of what bothers me so much- with the A7M266 motherboard, I could actually tell that the RAID array drastically improved boot times, program load times, map changes in online play in UT, etc., while it seems much slower using them on this motherboard, to the point that a single drive is almost matching their performance. :().

Good luck on your upgrade too. :)

Gator
02-07-03, 11:38 PM
Looks awesome SnakeEyes! Enjoy it! Good hardware choices too!