PDA

View Full Version : I/O template on PC extremely important?

HarryDude
06-30-06, 04:57 PM
A friend told me today (from his friend who has a degree in computer building or something) that the I/O templates on a pc case is vital to the safety of the computer and its user, by having the metal support bits touch the metal on the motherboard grounding it, so that any power surges doesn't completely fry it. I would like to know, is this true? I thought the power supply was responsible for dealing with power surges etc. If this is true, why would the part be so flimsy and annoying to put into the case?

Roadhog
06-30-06, 05:04 PM
I dunno, i see no point in using them. The only thing they really do is keep dust out.

HarryDude
06-30-06, 05:43 PM
Yeah, thats what I always thought, now because of this the friend I sold parts from my old computer to is a bit scared, because I lost the I/O template for the motherboard.

Roadhog
06-30-06, 08:32 PM
its not gona harm anything lol.

jAkUp
06-30-06, 08:43 PM
lol thats not true in the least. It just keeps dust out, and keeps you from poking stuff in there.

tacos4me
06-30-06, 10:47 PM
I don't have mine put in. I think they're a bitch to get in there properly, and I usually end up cutting myself in the process. I didn't even bother with my current rig, and it hasn't a-sploded yet. :D

Bearclaw
07-01-06, 12:14 AM
When I built ym first rig, I cut myself pretty bad on the I/O shield. Ever since then, I haven't been a big fan of them..not to mention that I take extra precaution now when handling one. I never found it difficult to pop in the new case, however, what I found hard to do was putting the actual motherboard and aligning it and actually getting it in the damn thing. It would be interesting to know what other little tricks people do with their systems. I have alwyas wanted to pop out my remaining unused 5.5 bay doors and see what kind of airflow increase/decrease I would get. I wouldn't think it would hurt it at all and since I just got my new case (AeroCool ExtremEngine 3T) I might actually try it.

What other things do you guys do though, if any?

ricercar
07-05-06, 05:01 PM
The IO shield is generally required to achieve FCC class B compiance.
It is also generally required to conform to ATX case spec for airflow.

YMMV.

HarryDude
07-07-06, 11:16 AM
What is FCC class B compliance?