PDA

View Full Version : X2 3600+

tacos4me
06-30-06, 08:04 PM
AMD has taken some heat in the past few years for the higher costs of their processors. They used to be known for being a great buy in terms of performance and value, but lately it seems they've been only about performance. Intel has released many popular desktop processors that have wedged themselves into a market that AMD formerly was champion of. An example is the dual-core 2.66GHz processor that Intel released, which went for sale well under $200, sometimes as low as $120. That price point typically put it at less than half the cost of the cheapest AMD offering. In comparison, AMD's cheapest X2 is the 3800+, a great CPU in terms of performance, though often sold for $300 or more in retail.

AMD isn't willing to let it slide, though, and is answering back with the AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+. This new CPU, operating 200MHz slower than the 3800+ and having half the L2 cache at 256kb per core, will be the lowest priced dual-core offering that AMD has. Rumors say it is set for release in Q4 2006, though that is not for sure. It's price range will likely compete with the lower cost Intel dual-core offerings, though exact pricing information is not yet available. Intel typically plans several price cuts throughout the year, and one of them is coming up at the end of July, and that price cut will see the Pentium D 805 dip below $100. It will be tough for AMD to beat that, but let's hope they can.

Taken from here (http://www.techspot.com/news/22040-amd-prepares-lowcost-dual-core-3600-processor.html).

superklye
06-30-06, 08:07 PM
That's pretty sweet, though the cut to 256kb cache blows. And come 7/24, the 3800+ is supposed to be only $169. Unless this chip is like $80, it wouldn't be worth buying when you could double your cache and get a higher multiplier for a little more.

CaptNKILL
06-30-06, 08:11 PM
Not bad at all.

The cheaper dual cores get, the more people will buy them, and thatl lead to more software being multithreaded. This is good news :thumbsup:

Bearclaw
07-01-06, 01:21 AM
Not bad at all.
The cheaper dual cores get, the more people will buy them, and thatl lead to more software being multithreaded. This is good news :thumbsup:

Would it be worth it goind for dual core on ym next system upgrade or single? I know it works good in the operating system but what about games? I have heard some bad things about games and dual core. That and when I built my current system I was on a pretty low budget. Although, with prices dropping liek crazy lately, it might be worth it to go dual core. Is upgrading as eays as just taking out my 3200+ 64 and popping in the new amd dual core? Woudl I need to flash the bios or anything?

a12ctic
07-01-06, 01:33 AM
most likly am2 maby s939 too though

ViN86
07-01-06, 01:54 AM
id bank on AM2. they wont be releasing any new 939 cpus.

also, with the price cuts, i can probably say with 99.9% certainty it will be AM2. since the 939's are gettins such price cuts, an x2 3600 would be ridiculously cheap. they will probably release this under the AM2 x2 3800. id expect it to come in around $150-200

Maverickman
07-01-06, 10:33 AM
The Athlon 64 X2 3600+ is a great idea for AMD. It will compete with Intel's Pentium D 805. AMD needs a cheap dual-core solution to compete for the lower-end market. There are people who would like a dual-core CPU but don't have the $$$.

coldpower27
07-02-06, 12:49 AM
The Athlon 64 X2 3600+ is a great idea for AMD. It will compete with Intel's Pentium D 805. AMD needs a cheap dual-core solution to compete for the lower-end market. There are people who would like a dual-core CPU but don't have the $$$.

Doubtful, this 3600+ doesn't look like it's slated till Q4 from the information I have seen at HKPEC, as well the Pentium D 805 will be dropping down to a mere 93US.

And your dreaming if you expect the 3600+ to be cheaper then the Athlon 64 3500+ which will be officially 112US by then.

I think given it's timeframe it's probably a competitor for the E4200 coming in Q4.

a12ctic
07-02-06, 01:01 AM
its probobly a part made indirectly for dell ;)

bkswaney
07-02-06, 03:13 AM
its probobly a part made indirectly for dell ;)

:rofl:

a12ctic
07-02-06, 12:49 PM
:rofl:
.... whats so funny? you do know that dell's swiching (or in the process of it) over dont you?

my god these conroe fanboys are unbearable, theres a signifcantly lower amount of these idiots at r3d :p

coldpower27
07-04-06, 12:00 AM
.... whats so funny? you do know that dell's swiching (or in the process of it) over dont you?

my god these conroe fanboys are unbearable, theres a signifcantly lower amount of these idiots at r3d :p

There isn't any indication to suggest Dell will be offering anything other then Opteron 8xx Series processors in thier lineup at his time.

a12ctic
07-04-06, 12:37 AM
There isn't any indication to suggest Dell will be offering anything other then Opteron 8xx Series processors in thier lineup at his time.
yes there is, their releasing a huge line of amd based computers, intel refuses to give system manufactorers discounts, stop being closed minded ****s and accept reality, intel isnt the best, sure conroe is a step up, but K8L in a little and amd's next chip in about a year and a half will be much more competative than the aged amd64's...

Dell's adopting AMD CPUs is related to Intel's decision to cancel rebates for desktop OEMs, and it is just a matter of time before the computer giant will go a step further and launch AMD-based notebooks and desktops if the number one chipmaker stands by its new pricing scheme, according to industry sources.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060628A2007.html

Sources all over Taiwan confirm that Dell is going to launch more AMD based systems, although they would not tell us exactly which lines.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32374

coldpower27
07-05-06, 10:46 AM
yes there is, their releasing a huge line of amd based computers, intel refuses to give system manufactorers discounts, stop being closed minded ****s and accept reality, intel isnt the best, sure conroe is a step up, but K8L in a little and amd's next chip in about a year and a half will be much more competative than the aged amd64's...

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060628A2007.html

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32374

No, that is just your opinion, those is currently only rumors, there isn't any point currently to offer AMD equivalents in the other areas, as AMD offerings don't offer anything that the Intel offering won't have. Dell should have offered AMD products back in 2005, not this late in the game when Intel becomes the performance leader again.

Your the one who needs to accept reality, the majority of Dell sales will remain with Intel and not AMD, despite Dell offering a few AMD based systems. Intel will still reamin the best options for Dell as they are the one that can supply what the inventory Dell needs, while AMD can't do that.

K8L is still a whiles off, were looking at Mid 2007 at the earliest.

I didn't say Intel being the best but for the sectors other then the one I mentioned prior, Intel has certain advantages.

a12ctic
07-05-06, 11:03 AM
No, that is just your opinion, those is currently only rumors, there isn't any point currently to offer AMD equivalents in the other areas, as AMD offerings don't offer anything that the Intel offering won't have. Dell should have offered AMD products back in 2005, not this late in the game when Intel becomes the performance leader again.

Your the one who needs to accept reality, the majority of Dell sales will remain with Intel and not AMD, despite Dell offering a few AMD based systems. Intel will still reamin the best options for Dell as they are the one that can supply what the inventory Dell needs, while AMD can't do that.

K8L is still a whiles off, were looking at Mid 2007 at the earliest.

I didn't say Intel being the best but for the sectors other then the one I mentioned prior, Intel has certain advantages.
intel has a performance lead because their competing with a last gen chip, thats like comparing a 6800ultra and the 1900xtx, its not a fair comparosin. The K8L could be here as early as Q1 07. These rumers are popping up all over the internet and theres no way they couldnt be true, dell is swiching over and its reality, maby not completly but they deffinatly are offering both chips.

nrdstrm
07-05-06, 11:51 AM
Whats AMD doing anyway? Hopfully they have a bad ass new proc coming out that we dont know about yet, but :

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2974
DailyTech previously reported AMD Socket 754 processors would outlast Socket 939 parts. We’ve received confirmation that Socket 754 processors will indeed be available for a couple months after the early death of Socket 939. AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and 4000+ will be the first to get the axe on July 2nd of this year. Right before 2007 rolls around AMD intends on discontinuing seven Socket 939 and 754 processors. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Athlon 64 3200+ and 3000+ Socket 939 processors will cease to exist December 31st, 2006 leaving the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ as the sole Socket 939 processor available.

Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754 parts will no longer be available either. Sempron 3300+, 3100+ and 2600+ models will also meet the same fate on December 31st. The last Socket 939 processor, the Athlon 64 X2 4800+, will be discontinued in Q2’07 with the Sempron 3400+. This leaves the Sempron 3000+ as the last Socket 754 processor available. It will last one more quarter and join other socket 754 processors in Q3’07, marking the death of socket 754.

As previously reported, Socket AM2 processors equipped with 2x1MB L2 cache are being phased out in favor for 2x512KB L2 models after a very short production run. Windsor 2x1MB parts will be shipping until December 31st, 2006. After December 31st, 2006 there will be no more Athlon 64 X2 processors with 2x1MB L2 cache for Socket AM2 available.

a12ctic
07-05-06, 12:04 PM
their becoming more efficient, nothing more, nothing less, the 1m cache was laughable compared to the 512k.

coldpower27
07-06-06, 11:52 AM
intel has a performance lead because their competing with a last gen chip, thats like comparing a 6800ultra and the 1900xtx, its not a fair comparosin. The K8L could be here as early as Q1 07. These rumers are popping up all over the internet and theres no way they couldnt be true, dell is swiching over and its reality, maby not completly but they deffinatly are offering both chips.

No i am afraid it is completely fair, you compare what is out at the current time to what is out at the current time.

When 7800 GTX was launched you compared it to ATI's flagship X850 XT PE, as ATI had nothing else at the time, you don't wait around till AMD has an advanatge and then compare. :rolleyes:

No it's is almost a given K8L will not be here Q1 2007, AMD is launching Brisbane a 65nm K8 in December 2006, they need to get use out of that core, I expect nothing based on K8L Technology, till late Q2 2006 at the absolute minimum, and probably not till 2008 on the desktop if AMD is launching K8L technology on the servers first, as they did with K8.

Rumors are just that, rumors just because sites have been regurgitating them doens't mean it's true.

coldpower27
07-06-06, 11:54 AM
Whats AMD doing anyway? Hopfully they have a bad ass new proc coming out that we dont know about yet, but :

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2974

They are cutting cost to compete with Intel's Conroe with the 1MB Windsor 230mm2 die size chips, they can't do it effectively, even with the 183mm2 2x512KB chips on Socket AM2 they will still be at a disdvantage on the cost front in comparison to Conroe and Allendale chips.