PDA

View Full Version : My Core 2 Duo System Build

pkirby11
06-30-06, 11:27 PM
Alrighty, after many painstaking days of debate with my self, does this make me insane, I've decided to build a Conroe system. As much as it hurts me to buy Intel, I just can't see my self not wanting to shoot my self for being stuborn and not wanting to buy Conroe. I'm not literaly going to shoot my self by the way. :D

So any how, I wanted to know what you guys thought of my build that I'm going with. First I'll give you the stats of my current system and you can tell me how much better or worse you think it will be, although hopefully it won't be worse or else why the heck would I want buy the system. :D

Previous System:
Athlon X2 4200+ (stock)
2GB DDR400-SDRAM
Asus A8R32MVP-Deluxe Crossfire board
2x X1900's in Crossfire Stock
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music Edition
Wester Digital SATA 300GB HDD 16MB cache

So thats what I game on currently and everything I've seen and read shows that what I'm about to build should be damn well amazing, if not I'm going to be pissed. :D

Core 2 Duo Build:
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz (I water cool so this might get OC)
Intel D975XBX Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121016)
G.SKILL 2GB DDR2-800 CL4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231073)
2x X1900's in Crossfire
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music Edition
Western Digital SATA 300GB HDD 16 MB Cache

So tell me what you think guys, suggestions welcome but please don't get into any silly arguements about AMD vs. Intel. I'm sick and tired of them I just want to know what you think of my system build. I'm new to DDR2 so I'm not completely familar with it, I think that looks to be some great memory for the price and it has a lifetime warranty which is nice. Total system price for the upgrade should run me in the range of $803.16 for all the parts. One last question, for the board I know I'll need a revision 304 board. Unfourtanetly there is no were in town for me to buy this board were I live, so what do you think I shoud do? I really doubt Newegg is going to open the boxes to see which revision it is, so suggestion on this delima would be nice. Thanks guys.

Riptide
06-30-06, 11:30 PM
How much you selling the 4200+ for?

pkirby11
06-30-06, 11:40 PM
How much you selling the 4200+ for?

Sorry it's already spoken for. :( Otherwise I'd sell it cheap, I'm in the habit of buying boat loads of parts and giving them away cheap. :D But I already got a friend interested. If that doesn't pan out I'd consider selling it.

Roadhog
06-30-06, 11:47 PM
how about that 2 gigs of ram?

pkirby11
06-30-06, 11:51 PM
how about that 2 gigs of ram?

Okay I should say all the parts I'm getting rid of at this very moment are spoken for, that's not to say it will stay this way I'll keep you guys in mind if the deal falls through.

I have an extra SLI mobo in my storage along with some NVIDIA 6600 GTs that I have and I'm going to build a friend a cheap gaming computer. He's poor as hell but likes to play computer games, so I thought I'd hook him up for a good price. His old system is a slow Duron CPU with a GeForce 3 I think it was and man does it suck. I built that for him like 7 years ago. :D

Riptide
06-30-06, 11:57 PM
LOL we're like vultures. First thing we post in his thread are two requests to buy what he has right now. :p

Bearclaw
07-01-06, 12:10 AM
I think it will be interesting to see what happens here. I have never much been a fan of ATI and have always gone the path of NVIDIA, nor do I no much about ATI so I can't say much there. I think if Conroe is actually what people are saying and what unofficial benchmarks are showing then I think you will have a very nice set-up there. When you do get the parts and build (I'm not sure of the exact date of Conroe release..July X) your new rig be sure to post some benchmarks and just some other opinions on it. I am interested to see what will happen and how it will work out. :)

jAkUp
07-01-06, 12:27 AM
I'm gonna be selling my 4400+ :D

Excellent system build BTW, I am very interested in that same memory. G Skill seems like the OC'rs ram nowadays.

pkirby11
07-01-06, 01:20 AM

Excellent system build BTW, I am very interested in that same memory. G Skill seems like the OC'rs ram nowadays.

Ohh, I'll buy it..... wait a minute I don't need it!! :D Hey wasn't this suppose to be a thread about my new build and if it's gonna be cool? :D Okay so you did comment on it, but still. Just kidding.

The minute I get it and build it, you will get some benchmarks. I've always been and NVIDIA fan, I went Crossfire this time around just to get a feel for the competition, I like to mix things up once in a while. Had 7800GTX in SLI before the ATI cards. I like them just the Catatlyst drivers need to be tweaked to hell, I don't feel like ATI really is supporting there enthuiast market, no user made CF profiles and such are a big bummer. I have enjoyed it though, not sure what I plan to do when R600 and G80 come out. We shall see, but I'll have some X1900s cheap to sell. :D

But yeah, I'll get you guys some benchmarks so you can see how an ATI system with a 975 board compares. I can't wait, ohh and one last thing no suggestions on how to make sure I get a Revision 304 board. Those are the only ones that will except Core 2 Duo.

SH64
07-01-06, 01:37 AM
After seeing this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72526) thread , i'd suggest waiting/getting the nForce 590SLI or 570 Intel Edition chipset instead.

jAkUp
07-01-06, 01:38 AM
The biggest beef I have with ATI is CCC..lol Gawd, I cannot stand that thing.

jAkUp
07-01-06, 01:39 AM
After seeing this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72526) thread , i'd suggest waiting/getting the nForce 590SLI or 570 Intel Edition chipset instead.

Yea but no crossfire on the 570/590 :)

SH64
07-01-06, 01:45 AM
Yea but no crossfire on the 570/590 :)
Oh yeah & he has to lose the XF too :p

pkirby11
07-01-06, 02:18 AM
The biggest beef I have with ATI is CCC..lol Gawd, I cannot stand that thing.

Yeah the CCC is bad, no arguments here. :D Jeeze SH64 can't you read!!! :D Just playing, yeah the SLI board looks nice but it would be kind of pointless for me. :) If ATI keeps up the horrific drivers though I sure might just go NVIDIA next time around.

SH64
07-01-06, 02:27 AM
Yeah the CCC is bad, no arguments here. :D Jeeze SH64 can't you read!!! :D Just playing, yeah the SLI board looks nice but it would be kind of pointless for me. :) If ATI keeps up the horrific drivers though I sure might just go NVIDIA next time around.
Didnt you already said in another thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=923341) you're gonna sell your XF cards & get a SLI setup instead , changed your mind ?

& remember if you didnt get SLI mobo now , you gonna need to change the mobo again if you ever wanted to go dual G80s or even quad heh...

pkirby11
07-01-06, 02:40 AM
Didnt you already said in another thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=923341) you're gonna sell your XF cards & get a SLI setup instead , changed your mind ?

& remember if you didnt get SLI mobo now , you gonna need to change the mobo again if you ever wanted to go dual G80s or even quad heh...

Yeah I was, I so wanted to but I only have so much cash and I really wanted to go Core 2 Duo. I figured I'd wait around for DX10 capable cards before I lay anymore cash down. When I'm ready I'll get the parts one way or another. :D I just figure I'm disapointed with ATI but I got the cards and they serve me well for the most part. I just don't want to deal with it right now. One of those live and learn life lessons. Don't go with ATI for dual card setup, at least not right now. :)

Superfly
07-01-06, 02:45 AM

My G.Skill has been amazing stuff, cheaper than the Crucial ballistix it replaced and it runs faster at tighter timings.