PDA

View Full Version : ASUS And PEG Link

K007
07-01-06, 11:23 AM
http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=281

links to

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=248

Considering that 7900 cards are very sensitive to Overclocking i wonder if PEG Link is the person responsible for doing / pushing the card over? They say that PEG Link works different for differnt GPU's and according to them..turning it off/slow dosen't actually mean its really off.

What gives? And why dosen't ASUS talk about this feature or give a full disable function?

PS: Yes i am browsing alot..its all i can do till i get my pc back since i dont have another pci-e card i am on my old rig and my hdd on this current one is really..really small. only have cs source installed -.-.

So back on topic..I really hate stuff like this..its almost like spyware running on your computer and you dont know wtf is going on..i really really hate that kind of crap..almost regreting buying the sli prem/asus bran and maybe stuck with gigabyte since i never had a problem with there motherboards...but hey..everyones like omg asus motherboard rox...etc..etc..:D, not that i am blaiming them because i dont think they knew much about peg(nana2)

That's not all though. The Slow or Disabled option, which was supposed to disable PEG Link Mode, does not always work. When we tested the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT and 7800 GTX graphics cards, we found that irrespective of the setting we chose, PEG Link Mode overclocked the core by 9.7%! There was no way to disable PEG Link Mode for these cards.

rfisher983
07-01-06, 11:49 PM
Im not exactly sure what the peg link does. I set the thing to fastest and it gave me 4 more fps in an rtcw timedemo.

K007
07-02-06, 12:20 AM
Im not exactly sure what the peg link does. I set the thing to fastest and it gave me 4 more fps in an rtcw timedemo.

It Auto Overclocks your GPU. By default everything is set to AUTO.

I thought it was a bit strange that Disable/Slow had no effect and it still o/c the 7800 card:thumbdwn:

rfisher983
07-02-06, 02:24 AM
I have it on faster. Hope there isn't an issue with it :)

K007
07-02-06, 02:28 AM
It O/C based on your card, so there must be some info on the peg link that if they detect card xxx o/c by this much so that when review site use the motherboard with xxx card it o/c it by xx% just to get that extra lead. What bothers me is how 7800 card just o/c itself no matter what u did -.-

betterdan
07-02-06, 03:10 AM
I have a 7800 GTX and an Asus motherboard and it is not overclocking the core as far as I can tell in Nvidia control panel or rivatuner. Both say core is 550.
I have tried all the different settings in peg link in the bios and it has no affect.