PDA

View Full Version : 2x & 2xQ AA smearing while scrolling in SimCity 4

johnmk
07-01-06, 02:06 PM
Hello folks,

I remember a year or two ago -- an nvidia driver came out that fixed this issue of smearing in these two AA modes -- it was explicitly mentioned in their readme (2xQ & SimCity 4 together). Recently nvidia (accidentally?) re-introduced this bug, so with new drivers I can no longer use these two modes effectively in SimCity 4. I have two questions:

a) Is there a setting somewhere in the registry that might influence whether this bug occurs in these two modes? I'd rather tweak that setting and keep the new driver if possible.

b) can you tell me which driver version was official prior to 91.31? because I know that one worked perfectly in these two AA modes.

Now I know you must think me crazy but in SimCity 4, for my taste I prefer the slight blurring of Quincunx.

In any event, thank you all for your help and for this wonderful forum.

Sincerely,

-John

squall_leonhart
07-03-06, 09:57 AM
2xQ causes Blurriness.. either use 2x or 4x. Quincunx suxxorz

johnmk
07-03-06, 10:19 PM
Thank you for your comments. You might have missed reading that section of my post, I explicitly mention the problem occurs in 2X mode as well. I also point out that I prefer the effect of Quincunx for this game.

Can anyone answer my question aside from nvidia themselves?

Thank you folks,

-John

squall_leonhart
07-04-06, 01:22 AM
quincunx sucks.. deal with it. it causes blurriness because its supposed to.

just mix in some AF and it'll fix it up.

johnmk
07-04-06, 11:26 AM
Hello,

Thank you again for your comments. I'm afraid that you do not understand what it is I am speaking about; I shall articulate.

In the 61.77 driver release notes, there is mention of the issue (smearing while scrolling, the same one I am experiencing) being resolved. Here is the driver release notes files in PDF format:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.77/61.77_ForceWare_Release_60_Graphics_Drivers_Releas e_Notes_Windows_XP-2000.pdf

And here is an excerpt:

Issues resolved:
Windows XP: SimCity 4 shows smearing with
2xQ antialiasing enabled.

This has nothing to do, per se, with quincunx bluriness. This is a very specific kind of smearing that one sees as a result of scrolling that is gone when the image is refreshed.

Now, several driver releases ago (beta), this smearing problem was re-introduced into their driver, almost two years after they had fixed it.

Please keep well in mind I am not talking about the level of blur that quincunx introduces. This has nothing to do with that at all. I am referring to a scrolling problem that is also present with standard 2X anti-aliasing, as well as with 2xQ!

With this added context, can anyone address my first post? I would be very appreciative!

Sincerely,

-John