PDA

View Full Version : Creative X-Fi Fatality Problems in Windows XP x64 again only worse!

Digital_Trans
07-02-06, 09:10 AM
I'm having major sound problem with my Creative X-Fi Fatality in Windows XP x64. The sound card sounds bad while just doing simple things in Windows XP x64 such as deleteing stuff or shut down/reboot.
I don't know if it has anything to do with Windows XP x64 or if this card just sucks. I think it's the default sounds I'm having a problem with. The sound is
like distorted echo that annoys the hell out of me. The only thing I don't understand is that most games and DVD's or CD's sound fine. It's only the Windows XP that sounds so *****ty. What should I do next before I RMA the card back to Creative. Don't get me wrong, I know Creative sound cards have a history of the known issues with cracking/popping but my case goes beyond that.

jAkUp
07-02-06, 01:10 PM
doubt its a problem with the card, sounds more like something with Windows

Are you using the beta drivers?

Neophyte
07-02-06, 01:15 PM
That would have bin my first reply aswell...

it's not the fault of the card. Heck im not hearing any crackling noises myself. I only hear something when someone turns on the light in the house (like a pulse noise)

i think it has to do with the OS and drivers aswell...

(Funny thing is.... i had in the beginning some problems ? cracks and pofs ? dunno.. but i don't hear anything anymore ?)

Sounds great here :)

(OT"Hooked up my Yamaha Digital Synthesizer for the first time again on this (not so old Soundcard) and i love it ^^

anyway's it has to do with drivers or the OS your using.

p.s. im using the beta drivers.

Digital_Trans
07-02-06, 03:27 PM
doubt its a problem with the card, sounds more like something with Windows

Are you using the beta drivers?

No, I'm not using Beta drivers. I'm currently using Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Driver 2.07.0004. I also tryed Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi series Beta Driver with OpenAL support release date: May 30th, 2006 and that also failed to fix the problem. This leads me to believe that it's Windows XP x64 not the sound card. Are you guys running Windows XP x64 or Windows XP 32-Bit OS without the problems?

Neophyte
07-02-06, 04:26 PM
No, I'm not using Beta drivers. I'm currently using Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Driver 2.07.0004. I also tryed Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi series Beta Driver with OpenAL support release date: May 30th, 2006 and that also failed to fix the problem. This leads me to believe that it's Windows XP x64 not the sound card. Are you guys running Windows XP x64 or Windows XP 32-Bit OS without the problems? Just the simple Windows XP 32-bit, using the beta drivers..

And for the crackling noise in (fear for example ?)
I had that problem with my old Creative 1024 live (not even 5.1) thus it's a engine problem.

jAkUp
07-02-06, 04:31 PM
No, I'm not using Beta drivers. I'm currently using Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Driver 2.07.0004. I also tryed Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi series Beta Driver with OpenAL support release date: May 30th, 2006 and that also failed to fix the problem. This leads me to believe that it's Windows XP x64 not the sound card. Are you guys running Windows XP x64 or Windows XP 32-Bit OS without the problems?

I'm runnin x64 with no issues.

wollyka
07-02-06, 05:35 PM
same here, windows x64 and vista x32 without any problems! using the latest non-beta drivers

Digital_Trans
07-02-06, 05:37 PM
I'm runnin x64 with no issues.

The only other thing I could think of is a known issue with nForce 4 Chipsets.
Creative came out with a firmware update and memory heatsinks on their revised X-Fi cards. Maybe that's my problem because I can't think of anything else that would be the problem.
How many of you guys have the revised Creative X-Fi sound cards with the new heatsinks on the ram?

wollyka
07-02-06, 06:01 PM
nforce4 SLI here with old X-fi without heatsink
edit: u mean heatsink on the soud chip itself like this http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc000337wk.jpg not on the rams..
no mine has no heatsink, i 've just checked it!

jAkUp
07-02-06, 06:16 PM
Mine is a rev.A :( the very old one.

Digital_Trans
07-02-06, 09:59 PM
I'll check my speaker configuration to see if there's any problems. If I don't get to the bottom of this I'll go ahead and RMA the card.

wollyka
07-03-06, 06:25 AM
Me too Rev.A
until now no problems with it, *knock on wood*

Vik1dk
07-03-06, 10:39 AM
Xp64 no problems, both drivers
Me too, but i think that could be a good thing

Digital_Trans
07-03-06, 12:51 PM
nforce4 SLI here with old X-fi without heatsink
edit: u mean heatsink on the soud chip itself like this http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc000337wk.jpg not on the rams..
no mine has no heatsink, i 've just checked it!

Thank you for showing me the revised card with the heatsink over the processor. I've always wanted to see what it looked like. Thanks! :D

Digital_Trans
07-03-06, 12:57 PM
Okay, I'll try something else here. I'll first convert back to Windows XP 32-Bit.
If that's not my problem then the card is the problem. You just never know,
sometimes there's a few bad apples made on the production line that in time go bad on a customer. I know in the beginning I never encountered any sound card problems. Six to seven months later I did which leads me to wanting to return the card for a replacement.

Digital_Trans
07-04-06, 01:24 AM
Update: I installed the newest x64 driver release from Creative Labs and I'm still having the same problems with the sound. I've went as far as taking some screenshots of my hardware in device manager. Do any of you see anything that should be disabled? I've already disabled the intergrated sound on the motherboard in the bios. Do I need to disable anything else in device manager? Screenshots listed. Note: There's a device I can't seem to find out what it is or what kind of drivers are needed to get it to inabled. Screenshots provided. Second note: The sound was still bad even with no drivers installed on the sound card. I'm starting to think that something else needs disabled or reconfigured or reinstalled..........

wollyka
07-04-06, 10:55 AM
The first screenshot seems good. like mine.. i uploaded mine too to see it and comapre it.. ( i did also disabled the onboard sound)
for the 2nd Screenshot, what Mobo dou have? is it an Asus A8N-SLI one? if so the unknown device must be the ATK0110 ACPI Utility..
Psi've just noticed that my X-fi is sharing the same IRQ (18) with my second Geforce7800GTX (lol) didn't notice that beforce because i went SLI last week. and before that they weren't any sharing

Digital_Trans
07-04-06, 02:02 PM
The first screenshot seems good. like mine.. i uploaded mine too to see it and comapre it.. ( i did also disabled the onboard sound)
for the 2nd Screenshot, what Mobo dou have? is it an Asus A8N-SLI one? if so the unknown device must be the ATK0110 ACPI Utility..
Psi've just noticed that my X-fi is sharing the same IRQ (18) with my second Geforce7800GTX (lol) didn't notice that beforce because i went SLI last week. and before that they weren't any sharing

I have the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard with Full x16 SLI Support.
Is there drivers that should be installed for the ATK0110 ACPI Utility? Or should it be disabled? What should I do with it?

wollyka
07-04-06, 06:32 PM
ATK0110 is a pseudo-device. It is the ACPI interface to the hardware used by the Asus "AI Booster" program. Either install "AI Booster" to see if the problems go away or or just use the acpi driver from the program (manual device update).. The driver/ Program should be on the Asus CD.. It " should" load automatically when u insert it, unless u have an older CD that don't have the x64 driver only the 32 bit one.. so you should download the AI Booster from Asus Site.
BTW I used to disable it before finding the Driver, didn't seem to affect anything, don't know if it will affect sound!.. but make sure that the unknown device is the ATK0110 and not something else!

Digital_Trans
07-04-06, 10:07 PM
ATK0110 is a pseudo-device. It is the ACPI interface to the hardware used by the Asus "AI Booster" program. Either install "AI Booster" to see if the problems go away or or just use the acpi driver from the program (manual device update).. The driver/ Program should be on the Asus CD.. It " should" load automatically when u insert it, unless u have an older CD that don't have the x64 driver only the 32 bit one.. so you should download the AI Booster from Asus Site.
BTW I used to disable it before finding the Driver, didn't seem to affect anything, don't know if it will affect sound!.. but make sure that the unknown device is the ATK0110 and not something else!

Yes, it was the "AI Booster" software/drivers all along. Never the less, this doesn't fix the problems with the sound card. I'm going to wait for Asus to come out with a newer bios version to see if that corrects the sound problems with my Creative X-Fi Fatality.