PDA

View Full Version : Purevideo: preferred player?

Pages : [1] 2

ssnyder
07-02-06, 10:09 AM
Is there any particular DVD player that works best with the Purevideo driver on WinXP?

Thanks.

Phyxion
07-02-06, 10:22 AM
I use Nero ShowTime, this works fine with PureVideo, but I'm always looking forward to try other stuf :)

K007
07-02-06, 10:27 AM
powerdvd? I heard this thing works with purevideo..or something..

rewt
07-02-06, 12:58 PM
I use Media Player Classic (freeware). Along with PureVideo and ffdshow you can really get some excellent quality dvd playback (1080p anyone? :D).

|Magus| posted this guide (http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=3) just an hour or so ago. You might find it useful if you'd like to tweak output with ffdshow

SLippe
07-02-06, 02:39 PM
powerdvd? I heard this thing works with purevideo..or something..
PowerDVD doesn't need Purevideo nor does WMP11, but WMP11 will use it if you have it installed, PowerDVD won't. Unless there is a way to tweak it somehow. I've been using WMP11 lately, but I still think PowerDVD has better quality, features and sound. I dunno, still playin' around with WMP11 and all the tabs in Purevideo.

rewt
07-02-06, 02:56 PM
Thats a good point SLippe. PowerDVD has its own decoder called Cyberlink DVD Decoder.

PowerDVD7 can make use of hardware acceleration for other formats though, such as MPEG4 AVC or h.264. But for DVD content, just about any MPEG2 decoder will be using hardware acceleration on nVIDIA cards.

SLippe does WMP11 include its own DVD decoder? Or does it just use other ones like WMP9/10 does?

Eliminator
07-02-06, 03:07 PM
i just use the player that comes with purevideo called nstant media

|MaguS|
07-02-06, 04:05 PM
I tried nstant media but it would detect my SLi and try to use both cards to render the movie which wouldn't work ending up in a screen of a garbled mess.

adpr 02
07-02-06, 04:49 PM
Does purevideo work with quicktime? I sometimes get choppy performance when watching a 1080P movie.

|MaguS|
07-02-06, 04:55 PM
In Quicktime? Check to make sure you have a pagefile for windows. I had to reenable pagefiles due to quicktime playing choppy with HD content.

F_L_C
07-02-06, 05:17 PM
Is there any particular DVD player that works best with the Purevideo driver on WinXP?

The Purevideo features of the FW drivers will work with any player capable of MPEG playback, provided you are using a supported card and using the new CP.

The Purevideo decoder will work with any player that either uses Purevideo (Theatertek) or allows you to specify which decoders are used (such as MPC, Zoom Player).

For pure tweakability and overall excellence, Zoom Player trumps them all, IMO.

adpr 02
07-02-06, 05:34 PM
k. so how do I enable it in quicktime?

Sorry I don't get what you guys are saying. I am not as good with software as I am with hardware. I have a 7800gt btw, and for the rest of my specks, look in my sig.

|MaguS|
07-02-06, 05:48 PM
k. so how do I enable it in quicktime?

Sorry I don't get what you guys are saying. I am not as good with software as I am with hardware. I have a 7800gt btw, and for the rest of my specks, look in my sig.

Its not enabled in Quicktime, but rather in windows...

System Properties/Advance Tab/Performance Settings/Advance Tab/Virtual Memory/Change Button/

You should have the min and max at the same amount, which should be 1.5x your physical RAM.

nekrosoft13
07-02-06, 07:23 PM
why bother with quicktime?

get coreavc, coreaac, rename mov to hdmov and play the files in WMP

and uses allot less CPU then quicktime

SLippe
07-02-06, 08:30 PM
Just installed PowerDVD 7 Deluxe today and I like it over WMP11. Of course, I've always like PDVD over WMP anyways, but WMP11 is nice.

j0j081
07-02-06, 11:07 PM
I just use it with WMP10. Quality looks good to me as long as I setup the Purevideo options correctly.

K007
07-03-06, 12:11 AM
I havent tried powerdvd in ages..might give it ago. Also..why do we have to pay for purevideo thing..its a bit lame..but meh..if power dvd can do it i rather pay for it than purevideo.

RanCorX2
07-03-06, 02:33 AM
zoom player hands down.

SLippe
07-03-06, 02:39 AM
I havent tried powerdvd in ages..might give it ago. Also..why do we have to pay for purevideo thing..its a bit lame..but meh..if power dvd can do it i rather pay for it than purevideo.
You don't have to pay for either one. (pirate)

rewt
07-03-06, 02:56 AM
Does purevideo work with quicktime? I sometimes get choppy performance when watching a 1080P movie.

Purevideo decoder is an Mpeg2 DVD decoder. So unless you're watching 1080P mpeg2 then the answer is no. Most high def movies and trailers use Mpeg4 AVC/H.264 as far as I know. And Purevideo decoder does not decode it. You need to use for example Coreavc or Cyberlink Mpeg4 AVC decoder for that.

I also noticed Quicktime is much slower than CoreAVC for high definition playback. Cyberlink PowerDVD7 is faster than Quicktime (because it uses hardware acceleration) but quality of either of those does not seem nearly as good as CoreAVC.

K007
07-03-06, 03:56 AM
You don't have to pay for either one. (pirate)

zzzz :naughty: :matrix: :firedevil

sharangad
07-03-06, 06:59 AM

Quicktime's a pure software player and only uses the overlay. It doesn't use any acceleration for Quicktime HD ( H.264 ) playback. If you want to use acceleration for H.264 playback, you need one of the following:

1) The nVidia build of PowerDVD6 ( Purevideo compatible version )
2) PowerDVD7 Deluxe
3) PowerDVD7 standard ( or any other version of PowerDVD 6 ) with the HD264 pack ( Avivo/Purevideo compatible H.264 decoder ).
4) Nero 7 Ultra with a sufficiently recent build of Showtime.
5) Possibly WinDVD8 HD( This is what the Toshiba Qosimo laptop uses ) ( or even a late build of WinDVD7, though this has never worked for me )

Quicktime is a pure software player and doesn't use any hardware acceleration, even though your GPU fan may kick off due to the overlay being used. The reason Apple will never support any hardware acceleration in Quicktime is that the Mac will appear less competitive against a PC with hardware acceleration via GPU. At the moment, not a single Mac uses the GPU for playing back Quicktime even though those GPUs could decode H.264.

As for playing back HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disk, nVidia claimed you'd need a quad-core CPU without GPU acceleration or a dual-core CPU with GPU acceleration, but then they'd say that since they can sell more GPUs.

F_L_C
07-03-06, 03:41 PM
Greets sharangad. Did you ever figure out a way to force the use of the nv audio decoder for AC3 (downmixed to stereo) on "non-certified" players such as ZP? I know pass-through works fine but I need stereo for my laptop. Been using ffdshow until a "fix" comes along.

SLippe
07-03-06, 04:00 PM
I just played the Spiderman 3 Teaser Trailer in 1080 on my PowerDVD 7 Deluxe and it played/looked great! Except I don't have any sound. Why?

EDIT: I don't use Hardware Accelleration in PowerDVD. It looks better without it.

Daydre@m
07-03-06, 04:07 PM
hmn.. well my preffered player for pure video is WMP10 . After messing around for quite sometime I found out that it works best with pure video. I have tried Nero 7 and PowerDVD, and both gave me problems ( like that xvid ) and I dont know but my power dvd got stuck while playing quicktime videos. I tried the quicktime retail and as 'sharangad' explained it just uses software , it does not use any hardware acceleration at all . So the best way I found was to install quicktime alternate codec with x.264 and install ffdshow for h.264 audio ONLY. And my quicktime h.264 videos started playing with 50~60% CPU usage down from 90~99%.

PS : I wrote a small guide, hxxp://xferla.googlepages.com/nvidiapurevideoguide
hope it helps someone.....:o