PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Digital cable (XF-I / Logitech Z5500

Neophyte
07-03-06, 01:31 PM
Well i have a Digital fiber optic toslinc cable from a previous Setup i had and want to use it with this current setup.
http://www.tomshw.it/guides/howto/20051123/images/spdif-toslink.jpg

However... i can't seem to get a digital sound out of it.... On my Logitech Pod it say's ''Input: optical'' and under that ''Effect: Stereo''

Im playing star wars DVD as a test but im not getting any digital sound out of it..

When i unhook the cable from the Pod or from behind my XF-I Elite Pro Console the sounds stops (meaning it is sending sound true it, just not digital)

Am i overlooking something ? Settings ? Switches ?

Here's how i hooked it up..

http://www.overclockzone.com/pod/Year2005/0805xfiopenup/IMG_8175.jpg Hooked it up in the ''Optical out'' (grey port)

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/z5500/img/z11.JPG Hooked it up in the ''Digital --> Optical.

Just tryed Blair witch Project 2 and did DTS 5.1 true the film menu. (Results in No sound @ all)

Do i need a cable from the Soundcard to any of the 2 pod's ?

Neophyte
07-04-06, 11:58 AM
You need to enable the DD/DTS Bitsteam Out on the X-Fi (X-Fi Settings). If you set it to ON (external Decoder) your Logitech will display "Dolby Digital" or "DTS".

And you have to enable the SPDIF Out for your software DVD player (player settings).
hey cool, that worked :D

it now say's DTS Digital :D

Forgot to put SPDIF in the DVD player settings.

thnx

Smokey
07-04-06, 02:57 PM
You would be best connecting your Logitechs up via analoge rather than digital, the decoder on your soundcard will be of higher quality than that of your speakers!

Neophyte
07-04-06, 03:08 PM
You would be best connecting your Logitechs up via analoge rather than digital, the decoder on your soundcard will be of higher quality than that of your speakers!
But will it matter if i hooked it up digital or analoge using this set of speakers.
And i know that there are way better speakers out there...

Still loving these do ^^ they are not blown up yet wich is a good thing when you consider my first choise in music :)

OT: Hey i see you have the k8n , it was my previous mainboard a great one (nana2)

GamerGuyX
07-04-06, 03:10 PM
But a PC is a PC and a soundsystem a soundsystem (hifi)

Not really...

Neophyte
07-04-06, 03:14 PM
Not really...
Lol allready removed that once you quoted on that... anyway's what i was trying to say actually whas that sepperated Hi-FI setups (not connected to a PC) are better then any PC 5.1 or 7.1 set.
So using a PC for what it is suppose to do (gaming / work etc..) These 5.1 setup's are fine (logi or crea)
For real music pleasure you should seek elswere..
i've said it once and will alway's say it... 5 or 7.1 set's that come delevered in a box will alway's sound tinny in high range.
I've also had the JVC TH-A10R 5.1 set (home cinema set) and what i've learned from it is that they all sound tinny. My next setup will be lose componements. (Hooked up onto the pc)

For the record

-PC hooked up onto Creative or Logitech speakers. (Blehh)

-PC Hooked up onto Lose componements. (Good)

-Sepperated Soundsystem, not hooked onto the pc. (very good)

My engrish is broken.

GamerGuyX
07-04-06, 03:26 PM
I have the same speakers mind you. They are great for the money that's for sure.

Neophyte
07-04-06, 03:29 PM
I have the same speakers mind you. They are great for the money that's for sure. Yes they can play loud... but the lack of high tone's (Full range) is there. 5.1 or not When you have speakers this tiny it lacks tone's (JVC TH-A10R / Logi Z-5500 and all the other stuff that all come's in one box)

Compared to these ^^ wich i (actually still have but not using right now)
http://www.alarmsetcinc.com/PICTURES/piezo5x15.jpg

2 midrange 1 30 cm bass and one pieco horn per speakerbox

Yes thank god it's not the x-fi

If i may be honest.

This previous setup i talked about
with the soundblaster live 1024 sounded better then the z-5500.

I really liked the 1024 couse you could hook 2 amplifiers to it and let them play the same sound. (that's 2 amplifiers) well i had 12 speakers in totall (depends on what the ampli can support)

Way better range in high tone's. (and im not talking about lot's of cash... no a simple akai system with disco box speakers that costed less then this whole z-5500

Smokey
07-05-06, 12:29 PM
But will it matter if i hooked it up digital or analoge using this set of speakers.
And i know that there are way better speakers out there...

Still loving these do ^^ they are not blown up yet wich is a good thing when you consider my first choise in music :)

OT: Hey i see you have the k8n , it was my previous mainboard a great one (nana2)

Its up to you, if you notice a difference or not. Using digital will bypass the onboard DTS/DD decoder of the soundcard and will leave the decoding to the speakers. The soundcards decoder is of higher quality than that of the speakers.

OT, yes Im finding this MB to be pretty good, cant be beat for the price :)