PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 to short

Pages : [1] 2

-=DVS=-
02-07-03, 11:54 PM
Bah... started playing game today in the morning and finished it in the evening :o only 10 hour fun bah... alot shorter then original Unreal 1 big disapointment for me no Muliplayer also :mad:

What am i suppose to do now :argh: ....arhhggg play at Hard difficulty perhapse i played it at normal.

stncttr908
02-08-03, 12:28 AM
It's the max payne syndrome. Wait for years, play for 10 hours, put it away and let it collect dust.

*OR* return it for credit?

-=DVS=-
02-08-03, 01:14 AM
Hmm return it good idea , but maybe it can be used as a benchmark ? does Unreal 2 have any commands ?

Smokey
02-08-03, 09:49 AM
I find that I finish almost all SP games with in 2 days, always on medium setting. Can anyone name any FPS SP games that arent short, that have come out in the last say 2-3 years?

Riptide
02-08-03, 10:49 AM
It took me a while to get all the way through serious sam 1 and 2... Even at default difficulty level. Then again, I'm kinda anal about it and will reload and start over a section if I take a bit more damage than I'd wanted or expended more ammo than I wanted...

-=DVS=-
02-08-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
I find that I finish almost all SP games with in 2 days, always on medium setting. Can anyone name any FPS SP games that arent short, that have come out in the last say 2-3 years?

Yeah all current games are realy short or poorly made,
LONG LONG TIME ago we had good games :D

Gehenna_CA
02-08-03, 06:05 PM
Shortness seems to be a growing trend in single player FPS, sadly. In a single player game there is no reason why it should be so short you can finish it in a day.

digitalwanderer
02-08-03, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Gehenna_CA
Shortness seems to be a growing trend in single player FPS, sadly. In a single player game there is no reason why it should be so short you can finish it in a day.

Sure there is! There is an inverse proportion going on between software and hardware developers right now. The more bells & whistles that hardware developers put in their cards the more code the code-monkeys gotta produce to put out a level. Add to that the increased level of details and you start really increasing the art-departments load....then people expect you to add a compelling plot and have it run half-way decent too!

I'm sort of surprised that games are as long as they are, even though I'm agreeing with everyone that U2 was too short. Just going thru some of those levels I just sort of caught me breath a few times thinking about all the work that went into a room that I basically spend about 12 seconds walking thru.

If I were a game developer, I'd probably have a special psychotic passion for ranting against posts like this....as it stands the damned game was too short for me. (And I HATED the ending, 'nuff said. :( )

lmetza
02-08-03, 06:55 PM
MOHAA and the expansion are both pretty sweet and have a fairly decent ammount of gameplay. Same goes for RtCW. I think those are the only 2 games that lasted me for a bit longer then Unreal2 did. They gotta start makeing games like Half-life (an interesting storyline) lots of action, and lots of gameplay.
Deus EX was also very good, (cant wait for sequal) just i hope Deus Ex 2 isnt as short as Unreal2... I still find MOHAA fun (even though i wrapped it twice). But killing nazis is fun anyways, same with RtCW, its just funny when u shoot em.

lmetza
02-08-03, 06:57 PM
oops, almost forgot AvP 2 and Ghost Recon + Mission packs. Those where some fun games too. Longer gameplay then Unreal2 aswell.

SavagePaladin
02-08-03, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Sure there is! There is an inverse proportion going on between software and hardware developers right now. The more bells & whistles that hardware developers put in their cards the more code the code-monkeys gotta produce to put out a level.
well I've heard that dx9 is easier to code for than 8, though I don't know if that'd change things or not.

The thing I've noticed is every dev is expected to only put out super polished work, and if it doesn't fit that description they feel they may as well throw it away. I don't know if I agree with this, but I don't know if I disagree with it either.

Smokey
02-08-03, 09:38 PM
Dont get me wrong, there area alot of good games, but I do expect more than 2 days play ;) NOLF2 has to be up there as one of my favs in recent times, that game just oozes style from start to finish :thumbsup: MOHAA+SP both great, though I thought MOHAAs finish was a bit blunt! GR+DS+IT are all good, but each of them can be finished in less than a full days playing, still great games though. Trying to think, which was the longest game I can remember playing, MOHAA lasted a little longer, due to sniper village :p but I think the first 3 Mario Bros on the Nintendo took sometime to finish, for me anyways. One game that we havent seen or really heard of that Im waiting for is American McGees next game, Im almost sure its using the Doom3 engine in a warped Wizard of Oz story, hense we havent seen anything yet, but after Doom3 is out we should see bits from all current games using the Doom3 engine :thumbsup:

I never got into DuesX mainly becasue the demo put me off, graphics were average, and run like crap :p but I am looking forward to DuesX2, looks sweet and should have good gameplay.

So which games are you all waiting on, just list SP games and how long do you think they should be? I would like 16+ hrs in a SP FPS :D

Kruno
02-08-03, 09:44 PM
JK2 wasn't short. :)

digitalwanderer
02-08-03, 09:48 PM
There have been a number of excellent points that I just can't argue with. NOLF2 does stand out for me too for gameplay/length/polish, at least it took me a lot longer than U2 did and I enjoyed it a lot more. I take it all back, it's the lazy game developers fault! ;)

Originally posted by Smokey
So which games are you all waiting on, just list SP games and how long do you think they should be? I would like 16+ hrs in a SP FPS :D

You really might want to pick up a copy of DeusEx now and give it a try. It runs pretty good now that the hardware is about twice as powerful as the specs call for, and it actually is a pretty good game with a whole lot more than 16 hours of good gameplay. :)
(I always re-play DeusEx whenever I get a new viddy card just 'cause it played so horribly when it came out on me rig at the time. ;) )

StealthHawk
02-08-03, 11:08 PM
games...getting shorter?

you can beat Quake1 in like 30 mins or something. you can beat Doom in under a day easily.

original Nintendo games were made to be beaten in one sitting. many didn't have save files or even passwords.

i think you're just too good or just play too long. back a few years ago it took my friends and i at least a month to complete a game that had 18-24 hours of play time. now i know some people who beat the same game in 3 days. utterly insane.

the only games that can't be beaten quickly are online games. games with persistent worlds that have "real-time" distances so it takes 2 hours to walk from one town through a forest to the next town :p

AngelGraves13
02-08-03, 11:36 PM
I agree with you there.......if anything, games are getting longer. Quake 1 is too easy. Quake 2 is just too boring so I never WANT to play it all in one or two days. Unreal 1 was long, but there was no quality to it.....it was boring like Quake 2. Now games are becoming more stylish and detailed with more story driven action. Of course that means it'll seem a bit shorter. I guess the expansion to Unreal 2 will statisfy your cravings.

Kruno
02-08-03, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
games...getting shorter?

you can beat Quake1 in like 30 mins or something. you can beat Doom in under a day easily.

original Nintendo games were made to be beaten in one sitting. many didn't have save files or even passwords.

i think you're just too good or just play too long. back a few years ago it took my friends and i at least a month to complete a game that had 18-24 hours of play time. now i know some people who beat the same game in 3 days. utterly insane.

the only games that can't be beaten quickly are online games. games with persistent worlds that have "real-time" distances so it takes 2 hours to walk from one town through a forest to the next town :p

You mean Morrowind? ;)

SavagePaladin
02-08-03, 11:54 PM
Morrowind indeed. Now THATS boring. Yeeeeee

Chalnoth
02-09-03, 03:45 AM
Morrowind is a great game, in its own way. It's certainly not a game for those who only like fast-paced action games.

Personally, I thought that the way in which you could create many different types of characters really added a lot to the game.

I think the biggest problem with Morrowind is that there is one and only one way to complete pretty much any quest.

But the thief/stealing system was excellent.

Kruno
02-09-03, 04:08 AM
I think the biggest problem with Morrowind is that there is one and only one way to complete pretty much any quest.

No there isn't. :)
I found several quests can be finished many ways. :)

Chalnoth
02-09-03, 04:30 AM
Not really. Anyway, I guess it's really hard to explain exactly what I'm talking about, so I'll try again.

In Morrowind, when looking at the main storyline, for example, there is but one path to take. You complete quest a, then b, then c, then d.

But try considering a game like Baldur's Gate 2. In this game, the quest decisions focus heavily on moral decisions.

I guess another way to put it is that Morrowind makes the player ask the question, "What sort of character do I want to play?" While games like Baldur's Gate 2 ask, "How do I want to play this character?"

StealthHawk
02-09-03, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
You mean Morrowind? ;)

to a small degree. i was referring more to EverQuest.

SavagePaladin
02-09-03, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Morrowind is a great game, in its own way. It's certainly not a game for those who only like fast-paced action games.

OK that almost describes me...not quite though.

What I couldn't stand about Morrowind when I played it was the NPCs. They would greet you if you passed by them, even if you just did that ten seconds ago (BAH)...the quests really didn't trip my trigger...99% of them made me want to slice them open....which I promptly tried and failed and uninstalled the game.

and exploring took years

I don't know, I like the concept of RPGs but I've actually LIKED very few.
(I do like FPRPGs and aRPGs occasionally, at any rate. Never played BG2 or NWN)

Chalnoth
02-09-03, 03:35 PM
Neverwinter Nights is excellent primarily for its multiplayer aspect, and the fact that there are some amazing mods out there. The single player game just isn't that great.

Anyway, if you haven't played the Baldur's Gate series, you're really missing out. Here's my take on a few of the RPG's I've really enjoyed over the past few years. Most of 'em should be really cheap by now, so I would highly recommend nabbing one if you haven't yet:

1. Fallout: Old game, but excellent skill and combat system. Can play literally any kind of character you want, and there are multiple ways to complete any goal. Turn-based combat system. Great voice acting and story.

2. Fallout 2: Another oldy. Like the first one, but tweaked and updated, removing some of the nuisances of the first.

3. Baldur's Gate series: The first one is very old, and the interface shows it. Good story, but lots of aimless wandering. The second one really made the series great, with actually dynamic party members, and a much better story, while removing the nuisances of the first. The expansion packs are more for those who want to play power characters. Highly recommended.

4. Planescape: Torment: One of the lesser-known RPG's of recent times, but it is absolutely excellent. The story is great. Unfolds sort of like a mystery. The characters are excellent, and the world is very unique. It's old, but really is a must-play for any RPG fan who likes a good story.

5. Icewind Dale: Not quite up to the level of the story of the others on this list, but it does have a decent story, and works great multiplayer.

Speaking of which, I just realized that I haven't played the Fallout games in ages. They were my little brothers' games, and I don't have 'em...just found 'em at the Interplay store for $10 together...ordering now!

SavagePaladin
02-09-03, 06:38 PM
The aimless wandering in BG annoyed the crap out of me.

As to PS:T ...well I had a problem with it before I could even start playing. On my moms puter it'd crash right after loading everything (my comp was down) (right when Morte tried to speak)
The stupid thing had 64 megs, so it took forever to begin with, then crash.

I eventually figured out EAX shouldn't have been on, but geebus. I was already ticked off.