PDA

View Full Version : 7950 Issues with Windows XP.

linuxS2000
07-03-06, 10:53 PM
Well, I'm up against a wall. I have a dual boot system with XP and Ubuntu. I was awaiting my 7950 GX2 card to come in so I had a cheap ATI in temporarily. Today my new card arrived and I swapped it out. Well, XP now fails to boot. I get a HAL.DLL missing or corrupt error. I've tried everything, my nForce 4 motherboard has been flashed to the latest version and Ubuntu runs fine with the 7950 GX2, but XP will not start in any mode. Anyone bumped into this before? Any ideas? Here's the system configuration:

Asus A8N SLi Deluxe Motherboard
2x 512 mb Crucial RAM
XFX 7950 GX2 520 (I've seen the info on XFX's support, but it was too late :( )
2x 160GB SATA2 HDDs RAID0

The installs are all clean and fresh, so there are no issues with having to wipe/reload anything. Feel free to throw out even the most extreme ideas.

Thanks for the help.

--Mike

|MaguS|
07-03-06, 10:57 PM
All power cords plugged in correctly? Also did you make sure you removed all traces of the ATI drivers prior to removal of the card? Try removing everything and replacing things one by one.

BTW Whats your powersupply?

heatlesssun
07-03-06, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I would put the old ATI back in, uninstall the ATI drivers if you haven't already, and the switch the cards. That should work.

linuxS2000
07-04-06, 01:07 AM
No good, I've completely wiped the OS and reinstalled, no good. I reinstalled with the ATI in, without any video drivers, and installed the latest nForce driverset. Then I replaced the 7950 and still got the same error. This is getting frustrating.

K007
07-04-06, 03:02 AM
Hmm not sure if this might help..but is the motherboard set to sli detect or single gpu? I heard that setting it to sli causes problems..the card is considered a single x16 card if i am not mistaken.

And why do you need to use the ati card for a clean fresh install of the OS? I dont see any reason why the 7950 wouldn't work if you did fresh install of the OS with the card in it..

If the 7950 lets you go all the way to the windows startup area then..maybe its something in the OS.

Also have u tried installing windowsxp just non raid..just to see if anything is wrong..i dont have much expereince with raid setups so i am not sure what to say.but maybe you cauld just try setting up the HDDs for just normal SATA single hdd setup and try installing the OS.

Also whats the PSU? Try removing all the non essential stuff to run the PC, ie GPU/Motherboard/1xHDD/DVDR (if fresh installing otherwise remove this as well)

Also i found this URL about the HAL.DLL in google..

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

This situation occurs when setting up a dual boot situation with Windows 2000 and Windows XP (it may occur with other setups). After Windows XP's install routine has finished copying files, and is ready to boot to the GUI portion of SETUP, you may receive the above error

HAL - Hardware Abstraction Layer

HAL is Microsoft's abbreviation for the Hardware Abstraction Layer, the technology and drivers that let the Windows NT, 2000, and XP operating systems communicate with your PC's hardware. HAL is one of several features--along with the NT file system (NTFS) that replaced the much less secure MS-DOS--that make NT-based operating systems more secure and reliable than Windows 95, 98, and Me.

HAL prevents applications from directly accessing your PC's system memory, CPU, or hardware devices (such as video and sound cards)--a method that can prevent many device conflicts and crashes. Unfortunately, HAL sometimes also slows or stops DOS games and programs, which need to load their own memory managers or control hardware directly for better performance.

Also down the bottom area it gives instructions on how to replace this hal.dll error.

linuxS2000
07-04-06, 05:27 PM
Well, apparently there is something with the RAID controller. I don't claim to understand why RAID functioned fine with the ATI, but RAID + 7950 would always be unable to find the hardware abstraction layer dll. Maybe someone will see this in the future and maybe enlighten me so I can use the 6gb/sec of bandwidth I wanted when I bought the 2 SATA2 drives for RAID0.

K007
07-04-06, 11:45 PM
Well, apparently there is something with the RAID controller. I don't claim to understand why RAID functioned fine with the ATI, but RAID + 7950 would always be unable to find the hardware abstraction layer dll. Maybe someone will see this in the future and maybe enlighten me so I can use the 6gb/sec of bandwidth I wanted when I bought the 2 SATA2 drives for RAID0.

Yea this is what i posted on about my thread asking about the same question. And i think you ran into that same problem. I read the same thing else where about the RAID + 7950 / Bios thing.