PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 85.96 - (drivers dated 6/23/06)

Pages : [1] 2

GOZ
07-04-06, 04:35 AM
This driver....all I can say, rocks(nana2)

you can find it here (http://www.tweaksrus.com/) in the download section(pirate)

gstanford
07-04-06, 04:56 AM
Are you going to write a modded .inf for it GOZ?

grey_1
07-04-06, 05:04 AM
Thanks GOZ! Got it and tweakerizer, installing soon.

GOZ
07-04-06, 05:04 AM
I made up a Tweakerizer for it allready its in the downloads at Tweaksrus ....... This driver makes the 9X.XX look bad IMHO.

F_L_C
07-04-06, 05:25 AM
Just what exactly is an "instrumented driver" and who is it targeted for? Has the INF been altered in any way? I normally pass on drivers that are older in version (but especially in date) than the latest beta. Does it have the new CP? If it only has the old CP and an original INF, I might actually install it.

GOZ
07-04-06, 05:29 AM
Old control panel and as far as I know it has the original INF.

A instrumented driver seems to be like a Dev's build used for testing, thats my take.

weeds
07-04-06, 05:45 AM
Just what exactly is an "instrumented driver" and who is it targeted for? Has the INF been altered in any way? I normally pass on drivers that are older in version (but especially in date) than the latest beta. Does it have the new CP? If it only has the old CP and an original INF, I might actually install it.

This driver comes in the NVPERF Kit

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfkit_home.html

It supports almost all cards includeing your 6800GT. If your worried about the INF, just download the NVPERF Kit and only use the driver out of it.(you can extract it) And has the old CP only.

Superfly
07-04-06, 06:12 AM
For those wondering what an instumented driver is see my description below:-

When the instrumentation is enabled (it is by default) NVPerfkit can be used to trace and identify performance bottlenecks in the software. Please note that the driver overhead will invalidate any benchmarks.

As previously stated this build has come from the developers website, I would advise anyone using this driver to be very sure the instrumentation is disabled before doing any performance comparisons.

For the record I was un-impressed with this set and stopped using them shortly after they popped up. Of course others might have a better experience.

As a general rule end users should avoid this type of driver, they are not public for a reason

squall_leonhart
07-04-06, 06:20 AM
yeah, i had tested a similar kit a while back and there were several problems with performance and quality.

honestly.. the 91 series isn't bad.. unless your using a Geforce 6 or 7 ;)

gstanford
07-04-06, 07:02 AM
Cheers GOZ. Time to Ghost and test.

grey_1
07-04-06, 07:10 AM
yeah, i had tested a similar kit a while back and there were several problems with performance and quality.

honestly.. the 91 series isn't bad.. unless your using a Geforce 6 or 7 ;)

I think I'll be going back to the 91.33's. I've had almost no issues with them and IQ and performance was fine. Stuck withe the classic cp tho.

I've got the instrumentation disabled with these and performance seems o.k. nothing to crow about, but IQ is lacking. Only went so far as FEAR, Prey and Painkiller and no matter what I do it just looks, I dunno, washed out, grainy almost. eh, they were worth a try.

SLippe
07-04-06, 07:30 AM
I'll pass.

grey_1
07-04-06, 09:15 AM
Just went through hell getting these uninstalled and back to the 91.33's. Actually, I had to do a sys restore back to my last format so I'm on the 84.37's atm.

Uninstalled through add/remove programs -
deleted the 85.96 folder -
rebooted and after detection everything from my desktop garbling to drivers hanging on install -

One of the few times I'm grateful for sys restore!

gstanford
07-04-06, 10:06 AM
Okay, these drivers are good, very good for the most part.

(Still no auto profiles for me, and Abba Zabba's vertex displacement demo doesn't work in them, but it didn't in 84.43 or the 91.xx's either).

These drivers have a silky smooth feel to them that I really like in a driver. Actual speed wise, they are barely faster than 84.43, but because they are nice and smooth, it feels slightly faster anyway.

They cleared up two problems in Vampire Bloodlines, one where you could see banding (similar to 16 bit banding from the old days) one Jeanette's face as she tells you her name, the other, you would sometimes get translucent triangles around the spikes in you characters hair if you were playing as malkavian (good fun!) and were in 3rd person mode.

FEAR is a little quicker, I've got to dig out my performance results screenshot from last driver though to say by how much.

The drivers seem to be quite good in 3dmark06, the last part of the canyon flight demo over the city is much smoother than I have seen it before.

No problems with GTA:SA to report. Mafia runs great as does MOH:AA, NOLF1 & NOLF2

I didn't find the IQ to be grainy at all, quite the opposite in fact, though I did of course install the tweakerizer in Quality mode.

The drivers are noticeably quicker on the desktop too.

Definitely keepers for me. Superfly can you elaborate at all on the problems you think users of this set may run into? I can't understand your objection so far. it runs older games and newer games extremely well from what I've seen so far (needs more in depth testing I know, but so far so good). Is it just because end-users shouldn't have access to developer drivers?

Superfly
07-04-06, 10:22 AM
You miss understand me, I dont object - far from it. I actually said others might have a better experience than I did (like yourself).

If they work for you then thats great - just make sure the instrumentation is disabled to get the most out of them. They certainly wont do your PC any harm.

gstanford
07-04-06, 10:26 AM
first thing I did was disable instrumentation.

Try4Ce
07-05-06, 12:52 PM
Whoa this driver set is really impressive.

I got new highscores in CSS and as well as in Quake 4 and FEAR.

Plus I can now watch 720p HD Movies smoothly... is this H246 Codec already implemented in this set? Because with any other driver HD videos were like a slideshow....

Gaco
07-05-06, 01:04 PM
Fixed a ET Pro bug for me where the command map didn't show the icons. I was running with the 92.something before.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Ok it also made the game hitch badly in a few secs with 30 second intervals or there about. Damnit =(

Peoples-Agent
07-09-06, 11:32 AM
Hmmmm .... I can't get any colour from playing HD Vid trailers from Apple with this set. Anyone else noticed that? ....( In WMP )

nekrosoft13
07-09-06, 12:41 PM
how do you disable instrumentation(SP?)?

hopefully this will better then the horrible 91 series

nevermind found it.

and YES! these to fix the BSOD and screen corruption caused by playing certain WMV files and DVDs.

91 series are horrible

nekrosoft13
07-10-06, 07:22 AM
they seems to be slightly slower, but hey i been testing WMV and DVDs for quite a while and no corruption or BSOD

madlax
07-10-06, 07:56 PM
My Min FPS in F.E.A.R. is 33 here. I *might* go up to 35 when using 91.33 drivers. Still, got way too much BsoD's on 91.33. 85.96 are keepers till nVidia releases a decent 9x.xx driver.

nekrosoft13
07-10-06, 08:08 PM
madlax? when do you get BSOD? any chance during WMV playback? and system specs?

maybe the same reason why i switched to 85

madlax
07-10-06, 09:00 PM
WMV Playback.

A8N-E|ADA3000DAA4BW@2400MHz*Primed*|COOLER BOX|ST-400WAP PFC|1,5GB DDR266 DUAL CHANNEL|SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA300 NCQ 250GB 8MB CACHE|EVGA 7600GS 256MB/128bits@515/1030MHz|PIONEER DVR-105|SB AUDIGY 2 ZS|SYNCMASTER 753DFX|ADSL 2MB

nekrosoft13
07-10-06, 09:58 PM
that makes 7 people i know with the same problem with 91 series.