PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi Extreme Music woes part 2 HELP!

Pennyboy
07-04-06, 04:54 PM
Ok so I had to RMA my first Xtreme Music as it was DOA. In the courier yesterday I got my replacement sound card back. The trouble is that I only got the Sound card by itself in a static bag so no box, manuals, driver CD's. I was P*ssed so I contacted the supplier and they sent the stuff out, which I have received just now. Anyways last night I installed the card and when I started my rig up it would freeze on the BIOS splash screen, so then I jumped on to forums and found nothing that would help, so I took my chances and flased my BIOS from 1015 to 1016 after that the PC would boot. Then I went to install the latest driver from the Creative web site that was released on the 3rd July and a message pops up that it cannot find the card or something.
So I was wondering, like the Audigy 2ZS do you need to install the Drivers from the CD first then install the web updates? I'm hoping this is the problem, but want confirmation from someone as I won't be able to try this until I get home from work.
I'm starting to think I should just stick with my SB Audigy ZS, and I wish I just spent the extra dough on the Fatality as it doesn't seem to hate Nforce 4 boards. And that popping/crackling problem is scaring me too, I bet you that happens to me!

Superfly
07-04-06, 05:16 PM
I have the same card, I even bought mine as "open box" meaning some other dude had already returned it for whatever reason (cost me less than 40).

Never had a single issue with it, my best advice would be too run the CD drivers in then try the web update. having said that the web drivers should install on there own (they do for me).

Have you tried clean sweaping the old drivers out first?? (google it I cant get a link to work!!)

Might help.

best of luck.

Pennyboy
07-04-06, 05:22 PM
I have the same card, I even bought mine as "open box" meaning some other dude had already returned it for whatever reason (cost me less than 40).

Never had a single issue with it, my best advice would be too run the CD drivers in then try the web update. having said that the web drivers should install on there own (they do for me).

Have you tried clean sweaping the old drivers out first?? (google it I cant get a link to work!!)

Might help.

best of luck.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have cleaned the old drivers out, I actually did a full format and reinstall of Windows. I have two PCs and it won't install on both of them. I will try the original driver CD tonight and if that fails I will return the card again I guess.

Pennyboy
07-05-06, 06:41 PM
Damn it looks like I have another damn dud Creative X-fi. This experience is wearing thing!! damn you Creative!!
After installing the sound card in the PC and booting Windows XP it shows up in the device manager under other devices
(the last card wouldn't even do that) this is what should happen as Windows XP doesn't have a built in driver for it. I then proceeded to install the Drivers off the CD and half way through the install an message appears with Error "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program. Setup will exit". After this happened I took the card out and reseated it, but the same message appeared. I then tried a different PCI slot but again the same error. I tried the sound card in 3 different PCs. The first PC was an AMD Athlon 64 N-force 4 based PC my main rig.The second was an AMD Athlon XP N-force 2 based PC and the last was an older Intel Pentium III 800Mhz based PC and they all came up with the same error message as above. I have even flashed all the motherboard BIOS's to the latest revision's and downloaded the latest driver off the internet from the Creative website but again the same error message appears.
I'm beginning to think i'm cursed.

CaptNKILL
07-05-06, 09:37 PM
Damn, thats some really crappy luck.

I'm going to start calling you Riptide :POKE:

Riptide
07-05-06, 09:44 PM
lol

Hey at least I can rule out motherboard w/regard to my current nightmare.

CaptNKILL
07-05-06, 09:47 PM
lol

I dont know man, I've seen motherboards do some weird crap... :D

*knock on wood*

Pennyboy
07-05-06, 10:29 PM
Damn, thats some really crappy luck.

Hahaha yeah dude someone really doesn't like me eh!! Well I have just sent the damn thing back today and expect another replacement tommorrow. If that doesn't work i'm going to buy some rope from the hardware store and find a tall tree somewhere :) haha

Pennyboy
07-05-06, 10:30 PM
lol

Hey Riptide, I wish you luck with your lastest problems. What are they BTW?

WimpMiester
07-05-06, 11:06 PM
I would have tried manually installing the driver from device manager, that usually works when installers have problems. Once you get a driver in there the installer should work.

Riptide
07-06-06, 12:49 AM
Hey Riptide, I wish you luck with your lastest problems. What are they BTW?
Intermittent hard lockup in CSS right now. Long story.

Lfctony
07-06-06, 02:11 AM
Just skip the drivers from the CD completely after you get the new card. Install the ones from Creative, then use the CD for any extra programs you need.

Pennyboy
07-06-06, 05:55 PM
Just skip the drivers from the CD completely after you get the new card. Install the ones from Creative, then use the CD for any extra programs you need.

Ok will do, thanks for the tip Lfctony. My replacement sound card has arrived, i'm at work now so won't know until later tonight if this one is ok but they tested it before they sent it to me.

Pennyboy
07-07-06, 05:30 PM
Installed my 3rd X-Fi Xtreme Music card last night and so far so good! I also did full reload of my rig just for piece of mind. Finally! This has been the most drawn out upgrade of my life!