PDA

View Full Version : Need a Baulder's Gate/Fallout type RPG

Pages : [1] 2

Lazaredz
07-04-06, 11:43 PM
Running low on RPG juice .... please help.

Trizae
07-05-06, 02:12 AM
TQ (Titan Quest)

Zelda_fan
07-05-06, 02:14 AM
Titan Quest (or any Diablo-like game) is in no way shape or form a Baldur's Gate.

Have you play BGI & II and all of the expansions? The expansions are really good, and I'd suggest getting them if you haven't played them yet.

CrazyIvan
07-05-06, 02:21 AM
What about Planescape Torment? But you probably already played that, too.

leafo
07-05-06, 06:30 AM
They dont make many games like ths anymore. I am sure you have played neverwinter nights already.. and even then nwn did not live up to bg2.

What about arcanum?

Stoneyguy
07-05-06, 06:37 AM
Jade Empire will soon be coming to PC. KOTOR I, and II are worth playing. There is a rumor that Fallout 3 is in the works.

Namrok
07-05-06, 07:01 AM
Arcanum and Lionheart are good suggestions. Personally, neither of them could hold my interest, even though Arcanum had dwarves with guns. But they are in that style of RPG.

However, by every indication, I hear Lionheart is a game you should stay away from. But if you are desperate, you could give it a try.

|MaguS|
07-05-06, 07:05 AM
Icewind Dale Series if you havent played them

Superfly
07-05-06, 07:06 AM
NWN2 is not that far away and should be just what your looking for.

nVidi0t
07-05-06, 09:28 AM
Icewind Dale, or even better, Planescape Torment. You really should play Planescape if you like rpg's.

Lazaredz
07-06-06, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I did the WHOLE BG series. Good times, good times.

You know, I never did play IWD ... Hmmmmm

Planescape ... OMG, how did that EVER get by me .... now to find a copy ...

Oh yeah, and Fallout 3 = greatest idea EVER!!!!

MustangSVT
07-07-06, 04:07 AM
These are must plays and don't take TOO long to beat.

Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Arcanum

And NWN2 isn't that far either. :)

Icewind Dale 2 was ok too, but I liked the original more. ID2 is like the epitome of fixed-view camera d&d rpg (whatever that engine/camera type is called, I don't remember). It uses D&D 3 rules I think just like NWN1.

Greg
07-07-06, 05:34 AM
The Fall (English version) is coming soon. It is a great game, tight story, free (non-linear) progress, real time combat that works well.
http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php

CaptNKILL
07-07-06, 08:49 AM
The Fall (English version) is coming soon. It is a great game, tight story, free (non-linear) progress, real time combat that works well.
http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php
Looks cool, do they have any plans for a demo?

lognoronon
07-07-06, 09:02 AM
Planescape I think is the best of the bunch for the ones that used that engine. One of the best settings I have encountered in an rpg. The game is simply awesome.

nVidi0t
07-07-06, 10:10 AM
As far as storylines go, I still think about Planescape sometimes, truly unforgettable.

msxyz
07-07-06, 10:11 AM
Sadly Fallout 3 is done by Betehsda and, after seeing their last game, I fear it will turn out in a Oblivion with Guns minus all the things that made Fallout Great. Fallout 3 = bad idea.

Now, back on topic. Icewind Dale and its expansion Heart of Wintrer are somewhat different from BG. I totally love the painted backgrounds and the portraits, probably the best seen on an oldskool isonometric RPG, but the story is weak. Icewind Dale is very combat oriented: you're just going through ordes of respawning enemies. Loot is pseudo random (bad). Music is very good. Icewind Dale II is based on the 3rd edition ruleset and it's even more combat oriented (and very difficult, imho).

Arcanum is probably the closest to BG among those mentioned in terms of solid gaemplay but I didn't love the "steampunk meets fantasy" setting.

The next september NWN2 will hit the stores. After Black Isles studio demise (Fallout, Torment IWD) some of its former members founded the now dead Troika while others became the Bioware subsidiary Obsidian. Obsidian has done Neverwinter nights 2 and it promises a strong single player experience. I'll keep an eye on former Troika members, too. Although they had some bad luck with games like Temple of elemental Evil and Bloodlines (but mainly due to the poor support offered by their publisher) they included probably the most skilled developers of the former Black Isle.

|MaguS|
07-07-06, 10:17 AM
I personally prefered the Icewind Dale games over the Baldurs Gate series, but its mainly because I like the area they take place in.

MustangSVT
07-07-06, 04:46 PM
I actually liked Temple of Elemental Evil quite a lot (made by Troika right?). It's turn based and more about old-school Dungeons & Dragons type of thing rather than BG-type realtime combat and such. The artistic look of the graphics though were awesome.

Lazaredz
07-07-06, 04:57 PM
Ha HA!!! In searching around RPG sites I got wind that the Ultima V remake (using Dungeon Siege) was DONE!!! WOOOOOOOT!!!

Downloaded and installed. So far, so good.

Give it a shot guys Ultima V (http://www.u5lazarus.com)

|MaguS|
07-07-06, 05:06 PM
I actually liked Temple of Elemental Evil quite a lot (made by Troika right?). It's turn based and more about old-school Dungeons & Dragons type of thing rather than BG-type realtime combat and such. The artistic look of the graphics though were awesome.

TEE used the same engine as the BG Series. They were not realtime unless the users chose to play them in realtime (same can be done in TEE), which no serious player did. I have no idea where you came up with BG not being old-school D&D, it used the D&D rules the best out of any D&D game on the market, far better then NWN and KOTOR.

BTW if you didn't know Temple of Elemental Evil released after Icewind Dale Series and Baldurs Gate Series.

nVidi0t
07-07-06, 05:10 PM
I personally prefered the Icewind Dale games over the Baldurs Gate series, but its mainly because I like the area they take place in.

Yeah, especially in IWD 1. It had really fantastic settings. The combat also seemed more fine tuned.

But as far as a true RPG experience goes, BG2: Shadows of Amn is still unbeaten.

CaptNKILL
07-07-06, 05:21 PM
Wow, I just looked into The Fall a bit more and it sounds freaking AWESOME.

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1041&sid=5ecd884db54ae3a3012dab89846e4150

The gameplay sounds a lot like KOTOR except you dont directly control the characters with the keys (which is cool, but I think there are too many party members to do that in this game). It has real-time combat that you can pause (I *LOVE* this).

It just sounds like its going to be awesome.

There are some kick ass videos here too:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thefalllastdaysofgaia/media.html

You can drive trucks and buggies around with your party and the physics look extremely realistic (jumping, sliding etc.).

Im adding this to my list of anticipated games :)

zodiaK
07-07-06, 09:49 PM
Planescape Torment should definitely be top of your current list of games to play. Arcanum is a quality title as well.

Don't get your hopes up for Fallout 3 since Bethesda is developing it and using the same engine as Oblivion. It'll just be another FPS/RPG-lite, only in a post-apocalyptic world. If anyone mentions Oblivion, stay far away from it. It's far more FPS with some stats, and not even in a good way such as Deus Ex.

I actually liked Temple of Elemental Evil quite a lot (made by Troika right?)
Yes, it was made by Troika.

nVidi0t
07-07-06, 09:55 PM
Fallout was barely an RPG. Short dialogue, minimal player driven story. I think Bethesda will do a fantastic job.