PDA

View Full Version : Creative alternative?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Riptide
07-05-06, 10:18 AM
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=361103

Anyone use this card for games? Is it a worthless POS with a buggy driver or is it decent?

Zelda_fan
07-05-06, 10:27 AM
Problem is any card other than creative sucks at EAX (and that's pretty bad considering creative isn't perfect at it as well). So if you don't use EAX then it ought to be ok.

Riptide
07-05-06, 10:30 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829121122

So what's better as an alternative then? M Audio or Turtle Beach?

No EAX required here - 2.1 is all I am running right now. :)

Stoneyguy
07-05-06, 10:38 AM
there is no alternative..... conform..... and like it.. (gay)

Riptide
07-05-06, 10:45 AM
lol I hope it isn't really that bad.

Here are the ones I'm considering. But since I've never had one of these cards I have no idea about the driver (is it a POS) and whether or not these cards will actually play games OK or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829118109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829121122

saturnotaku
07-05-06, 11:07 AM
If you only plan on running a 2.1 or 5.1 setup, I would seriously recommend a plain 'ol Audigy or Audigy 2. The drivers by themselves are just fine, and my Audigy 1 Platinum eX (which I bought to hook up my Xbox 360) does exactly what I need it to do.

nVidi0t
07-05-06, 11:09 AM
For games theres really no alternative. Creative are simply too well hooked up in the industry.

Riptide
07-05-06, 11:16 AM
Yay. I sold my X-Fi which turned out to be a mistake because the ALC850 onboard seems to have a bad SNR. The A8N-SLI I had before this board wasn't so bad but the implementation on this A8N32 is pretty noisy.

Was hoping to try something other than Creative but it seems like everyone is steering me back towards them.

Stoneyguy
07-05-06, 11:23 AM
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!! - says the smoking man. :smoking:

he is returning to the flock.

Riptide
07-05-06, 11:33 AM
lol I think I'd rather stay with the onboard than go back to those assclowns from creative. Realtek FTW in that case! :p

nrdstrm
07-05-06, 11:49 AM
I have used a turtle beach santa cruz for years. It has always been good to me, but I only use 4.1 (Z560's). That said, on my conroe build, I'll likely go X-Fi...

Riptide
07-05-06, 11:52 AM
I like the SNR on this one.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=123301

I'm tempted but it seems like a big risk - nearly everyone is using Creative cards so it's hard to get good information on this device.

hordaktheman
07-05-06, 12:18 PM
Unless EAX is an issue, the M-audio Revolution is the only card you should even be considering in the sub-150$ dollar range. It's not a gaming card by any means (though not really lacking either) but it sounds absolutely phenomenal.

And unlike Creative's cards it doesn't resample music to 48khz. Though the X-Fi can do so very well, keeping it native is ideal.

Tr1cK
07-05-06, 12:25 PM
I wish there was an alternative. I was diehard pro-Aureal until they went under. I still have a Diamond Monster Sound MX300 with Aureal Vortex 2 chipset that my roommate uses and works flawlessly. After that, I went Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which I believe has better sound quality than my Audigy 2, but the Audigy 2 blows it away in surround sound. I'm decently satisfied with it and plan on using it until somebody other than Creative can make a decent card or until it's not supported.

Riptide
07-05-06, 12:31 PM
The M-Audio seems good except that the drivers are OLD. As in going on two years old without an update.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a buyer.

Zelda_fan
07-05-06, 12:55 PM
The M-Audio seems good except that the drivers are OLD. As in going on two years old without an update.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a buyer.

If the drivers were done right in the first place, this shouldn't be an issue.

Honesty, with the release of Vista, I'd look for something that is HDA certified. Then you can be 100% sure you won't have driver problems.

saturnotaku
07-05-06, 01:04 PM
M-Audio cards are geared toward professional recording. The revolution was decent, but it caused far too much of a performance hit to really be useful for gaming.

Have you looked into the HDA Mystique? While it's more suited towards digital/home theater use, that's probably a better bet than other Creative alternatives.

Stoneyguy
07-05-06, 01:09 PM
Oh well if your really that hell bent over not going back to Creative (who really loves you by the way) then here!! (http://www.diamondmm.com/XS71DDL.php)

*runs away crying*

Riptide
07-05-06, 01:12 PM
The revolution was decent, but it caused far too much of a performance hit to really be useful for gaming.Yeah that is partly what I'm worried about. I don't want something that produces worse performance than the ALC850 I'm using right now. Would the revolution be worse?
Have you looked into the HDA Mystique?Can't even find that for sale.

GlowStick
07-05-06, 01:27 PM
Hm,

I too tried a X-fi and wow the drivers sucked, it sucked etc. Basicly I coudlnt use voice comm (ventrilo) in games for some reason.

But alot of people complain that my onboard sound (a8n-premium) has a hissing sound when i talk, and it dose after alot of testing! The X-fi didnt have that (as long as a game wasent on). So i too am looking for a alternative with really good sound recording capabilities. Any thoughts?

Riptide
07-05-06, 01:29 PM
Holy crap. Not so sure on the m-audio now either.

I had one for two years before I ditched it for a X-FI two weeks ago. The card is absolute trash and as you can see by the lack of updates (in other words..never) their drivers are trash as well. The software they supply doesn't work properly in decoding down to multi channels and their EAX support that they claim to have through Sensura absolutely blows not to mention that their tech support is the worst that I've ever seen. I emailed tech and sent them a .doc document like they requested and they sent me an email back saying that they couldn't open that extention. If they can't figure out how to open a Word Pad document how the hell are they going to be able to figure out a serious problem with my Sensura not working right? At one point I thought it was a good card until I tried using the line in port which none of my audio programs recognized so I bought an XFI (after swearing never to go back to Creative) and I realized just how bad the Revolution really is. I will hold a grudge against M-audio until the day I die for wasting $80 on that pile of ****.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029644150#post1029644150

CaptNKILL
07-05-06, 01:46 PM
I think Bluegears is having problems selling their sound cards (such as the HDA Mystique).

They've gone through 2 or 3 different ones over the past year or two and I cant find anything about any of them, even on the bluegears website.

Maybe Im not looking in the right places.

My brother has an HDA Xplosion and its an awesome card, but its like they make their hardware drop off the face of the earth every 6 months. :wtf:

OH... heh... i just found it (half way through my post). It appears the cards are owned by Auzentech now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Brand=10788&N=2010360057+50010788&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=10788&SubCategory=57

The Xplosion is a fantastic card. It even has DTS connect and dolby digital live if you ever want to use a digital reciever for surround sound in games :)

Riptide
07-05-06, 03:16 PM
How is it for games? I'm considering the Xplosion or the Diamond card at this point. Naturally neither of which can be bought locally.

A friend was telling me that the C-Media chip is probably garbage. He's never owned one of these though.

nukem
07-05-06, 03:42 PM
I had a Turtle Beach a long time ago and I had alot of problems trying to get Surround sound to work. I ended up just getting a Sound Blaster Live! Ive had really good experiences with Creative(havnt tried the X-Fi yet). Id say get an Audigy 2, there pretty cheap on newegg.

Rakeesh
07-05-06, 04:03 PM
Only problem I have been noticing with DDL is that sometimes the bass isn't as strong as it should be. I am curious if DTSi is any better