PDA

View Full Version : A question to whoever owns x fi fatality please

H3avyM3tal
07-05-06, 04:37 PM
Its liek this:

My friend owns the k8n diamond msi motherboard, and although there is an optical out connector, the onboard sb live 24bit will only output sound in stereo.
However, using the analog connectors with the proper speaker system does output sound in 5.1.

My question is this, and if it can be answered than please tell me:

If he buys the x-fi fatality, and will connect the card to an external amplifier using the optical out on the card, will he get full surround (5.1/6.1/7.1) modes?

If you want me to try and clarify things better, than ask me what you need please.

(btw, I contacted MSI about this issue, and they said that the onboard db live 24bit will not output mutichannel sound throught the optical line out... lame)

LTech221
07-08-06, 12:04 AM
No, if you plan to use optical or coax spdif output, you will just get stereo unless you are sending a Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1-7.1 signal to an appropriate decoder. However if your reciever/amp has multichannel analog inputs (most midgrade and higher end ones do) simply get stereo to RCA adapters and hook it up like you would a normal pc speaker set. you should then get full surround if playing DS3D/EAX games. If you want full surround from an optical or coaxial output you should look at the variety of Dolby Digital Live cards and the new DTS ones out, that encode multichannel streams on the fly so you get full multichannel output via the spdif outputs.

H3avyM3tal
07-08-06, 02:49 PM
hmmm. So basically what you are saying, is that if my friend buys the card, it wont output 5.1/6.1 and such throught the optical line, even if he watches a dvd movie on the pc?

I hope I got it right.

LTech221
07-08-06, 10:55 PM
If he watches a DVD movie on his PC, it should output Multichannel as it would most likely be a Dolby Digital or DTS signal. The Amplifier/Reciever must be able to decode that which, if your running to Optical input it most likely does. So yes for DVD's you get full surround, for everything else, you'll get stereo unless you hook them up to the analog outputs of the card.

Pennyboy
07-09-06, 02:29 AM
This is a off the kinda topic question, but does any game take advantage of the 64mb of XRAM yet??

H3avyM3tal
07-09-06, 06:09 AM
Thanks LTeck. One more question:

The amplifier is capable of decoding multichannel and so on, however, wouldn't it be able to lest say, be able to get surround from games if they support it?

Lest say, I turn on open AL, and surround and everything else in Quake 4, won't I be able to hear in full surround? What's the point of having optical or SPDIF if everything BUT dvd movies won't be outputing full surround throught them... This is discomforting...

Ristogod
07-09-06, 12:12 PM
Basically if you want to be able to pass a digital 5.1 surround sound signal out for all medium (games, movies, music, etc.), you will need a sound device that is capable of doing either DTS connect or Dolby Digital Live or both.

There are a few good sound cards that do this, and some motherboards also have this built into their sound solutions.

Because I am using a nice set of digital recieving speakers, this is what I do. I'm hoping that in the future that the motherboard I choose will support these technologies in the integreated sound and I can skip having a sound card all together.

Keep in mind though that most of these only support EAX up to version 2.0. So if EAX is important to you, you're basically left with only Creative stuff.

For me EAX isn't desireable, so with having these speakers and my prefered sound settings, my DDL sound card works out great for me.

H3avyM3tal
07-09-06, 01:56 PM
Ok than. Thanks alot for the info, been very helpful.

BTW, why does creative leave this feature (DDL) out of their products?