PDA

View Full Version : Will I like this game?

Pages : [1] 2

stevemedes
07-06-06, 12:42 AM
Okay, I'm usually a FPS kinda guy. I mainly play CS:S and also dabble with Q4, FEAR and I've also been playing Hitman: Blood Money. Ive heard so many good things about this game that Im having a hard time staying away. What is the combat system like? Is it turn based or do u have an attack button? Basically wanna know if i'd be wasting my money buying this game. Can a FPS lover love Oblivion?

nVidi0t
07-06-06, 12:50 AM
You'll love it I'm sure. Combat is real time and pretty fast paced.

K007
07-06-06, 01:17 AM
Gonna need a good PC to really enjoy it..trust me. After moving from 6800GT to my 7900GTX..for the time it lasted..it was really awsome. Wish u cauld AA/HDR like ATI cards but 1280 res and above its very nice game...very linear though..and there dosen't seem to be a good/bad type character like fable or kotr have..you murder someone...pay a fine and its all forgotten...its almost like a bribe. if u have the cash you can murder pretty much everyone.. Its 3rd POV is really ****..character movement is so stupid..have to be played in first person mode

stevemedes
07-06-06, 01:25 AM
Awesome! Think I'll pick it up...

I'll be running at 1280x1024 because thats the native resolution of my 19" LCD. I'm willing to compromise some IQ for playability though. I can run HL2 based games and D3 based games very smoothly on my current system (specs in sig), even with some AA/AF. FEAR and GRAW however are 2 games that dont sit very well with my system...

K007
07-06-06, 02:02 AM
6800 wont run Oblivion so well. You also have 1GB of Memory..I think the game is ok. it was really crap on my old rig that i am using right now..You really have to give up alot of stuff to make it run smooth.

Also since my new rig is a killer i used Cap's Texture Pack..and man the game is just AWSOME then..

If i didnt upgrade then i wish i never brought Oblivion because a demo is really needed..to see if your PC can handle it..

Not really worth playing if you have to cut the graphics/quality down and the Default LOD thing they call..man its really ugly when you get outside..when you use "Stock" settings.

CaptNKILL
07-06-06, 02:08 AM
You'll probably enjoy it, and itl probably make you upgrade your PC. Thats what Elder Scrolls games have always done to me :o

K007
07-06-06, 02:34 AM
You'll probably enjoy it, and itl probably make you upgrade your PC. Thats what Elder Scrolls games have always done to me :o

Yea this was one reason i wanted to get the upgrade. The game is so much better when you got a PC that can handle it and run well..now..if only my GTX card was like that lol. :thumbdwn:

Superfly
07-06-06, 02:44 AM
If its fast paced quality first person melee combat in a fantasy setting your after then a more refined and deeper experience is just around the corner........

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68475&page=8

Watch the teasers, I think this is just what your after.

K007
07-06-06, 03:49 AM
If its fast paced quality first person melee combat in a fantasy setting your after then a more refined and deeper experience is just around the corner........

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68475&page=8

Watch the teasers, I think this is just what your after.

That game i am looking forward to alot. :D :D

SH64
07-06-06, 11:53 AM
I'm a FPS lover & i like the TES series very very much .. actually its my best RPG title for this year.
the combat system is much better than Morrowind & you can easily feel the combat .. so yeah i think you wont regret it.

stevemedes
07-06-06, 12:44 PM
That 7900GT is closer than ever I imagine :D

Looks like I'll have to go for essentially a whole new system because I'm still on AGP right now. I'll see what happens after the AMD price drops. Ideally I'd like an X2 3800 or greater and a 7900gt and 2gb of RAM. That should run all my games nicely :firedevil . Thanks for the help guys!

stevemedes
07-06-06, 12:48 PM
zOMG i just checked out that might and magic game trailer and it looks AWESOME... I love how u can impale them and then kick them off your sword lol.
Sword combat looks awesome!

stevemedes
07-06-06, 05:47 PM
Well I picked this game up and it is quite good! Graphics are simply drop dead gorgeous! The dungeon you start in really feels like a dungeon. The lighting and shaders are extremely well done. Performance was quite good inside, but when I got outside the dungeon... Oh boy. Definetely need that 7900GT sooner rather than later. Thanks for convincing me to get this game guys, it was certainly worth it!

SH64
07-06-06, 05:50 PM
Glad to see you like it! :)
there is much much more to see , discover & learn in this game ... i spent like 90 hours & barely ranked to level 30 heh ..

stevemedes
07-06-06, 10:11 PM
Is it really necessary to pick up all the stuff you see? Like apples and tunics and stupid stuff like that. Do you have unlimited space in your inventory?

K007
07-06-06, 10:25 PM
Is it really necessary to pick up all the stuff you see? Like apples and tunics and stupid stuff like that. Do you have unlimited space in your inventory?

weight. Its annoying. I made my guy as a palladin class i think, mix of melee/magic, and warriors i think get bonus to str and stuff which lets you carry more stuff at your level.

SH64
07-06-06, 11:54 PM
1) Nope only carry what matters to you.
2) You are limited by weight. if you spend your points on strength (when you level up) you'll be able to carry more. that or using other kinds of magic & potions that eases your burden such "feather" spells.
some spells & potions might increase your strength for certain amount of time aswell.

stevemedes
07-07-06, 12:37 AM
Sweet =) I'm just realizing the scope of the content in this game. Let's just say there seems to be alot.

CaptNKILL
07-07-06, 02:14 AM
Sweet =) I'm just realizing the scope of the content in this game. Let's just say there seems to be alot.
Heh, you have no idea. Check the map in this thread... it shows all of the dungeons and locations you can visit in the game:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72372

And that doesnt even account for the places you can go in Oblivion (the "hell" world in the game), all of the underground areas and the huge cities, densely packed with mini quests and hidden goodies.

I cant even imagine how many hundreds of hours worth of unique gameplay there are in this game. I bet very very few people will actually ever see everything in the game. I played the hell out of Morrowind since it came out (at least 200 hours total) and I barely even scratched the surface as far as exploration goes. I've put about 90 hours into Oblivion and most of that was exploration and doing side quests. I might be through half of the main quest, I just keep getting side tracked :lol:

K007
07-07-06, 03:35 AM
The thing that bugs me in oblivion is that the main story plot is very..i dunno feel a bit dull, from other people who played the main story found it what..7-8 hours gameplay?

I played KOTRII (Going to get I -.-) and the lightside i played over 40-50 hours and thats just doing the main story mostly, and the story in the game was awsome, graphics are not oblivion but the gameplay simply is awsome, i am now playing the darkside of the game and i just love how your actions have a impact on the game, the interaction is really great, combat system they got in it is really nice for that game, kinda like NWN only its a bit simple and really easy to understand and use the special powers you get.

Oh yeah..Dark side bloody rules...wish i played the dark side first because some of the powers are really kick ass.

To me the only thing i dont like about oblivion is that the choices are very..i dunno i think the word you use is linear..you dont get to really play the bad guy..infact you kill someone..and guards just want you to pay a fine..and thats it...

Oh well i will get a chance to play it more tommorow when i go to pick up my PC/new GPU so hopefully i can get some stuff done in the game.

Also the 3d person mode view is really horrible..does anyone know how to get a crosshair on third person? Also the 3d model movement is so lame..i dont really wanna play this in fps mode simply because its a RPG ><

msxyz
07-07-06, 06:56 AM
The "Next-Generation" of the so-called "RPGs" is intentionally brainwashing gamers into thinking what a RPG should be like. An action game were the only "roleplay" option is dressing your paperdoll / avatar and where stats serve only for braggin rights as more and more is left to the player ability with the input device.

The best definition of Oblivion is a "Grand Theft Auto" with sword and horses and even less roleplaying choices. If you like the genre, then Oblivion is perfect, pure RPG lovers should avoid it like the plague.

stevemedes
07-07-06, 10:59 AM
The "Next-Generation" of the so-called "RPGs" is intentionally brainwashing gamers into thinking what a RPG should be like. An action game were the only "roleplay" option is dressing your paperdoll / avatar and where stats serve only for braggin rights as more and more is left to the player ability with the input device.

The best definition of Oblivion is a "Grand Theft Auto" with sword and horses and even less roleplaying choices. If you like the genre, then Oblivion is perfect, pure RPG lovers should avoid it like the plague.

Good thing I never liked RPG's much! Maybe thats why I like Oblivion. I'm just glad the developers are reaching a wider audience. =)

CaptnKill, thanks for the link to that map, awesome stuff!

I'm gonna go kill some deer :firedevil

msxyz
07-07-06, 12:46 PM
I'm just glad the developers are reaching a wider audience.
No they're making all the game genres too similar. Killing difference. Turning all the gameplay mechanics into a bland soup that fits all and none at the same time.

Enjoy the mediocrity Oblivion has to offer. But don't cry once your favourite game genre will be destroyed and replaced by a sonoozefest that even a moneky with its short attention span can play. It already happened to adventure and simulations, now what's next ?

The only ones to really benefit from this "next gen" RPGs are publishers who want to capitalize upon the mainstream, uneducated (but money-plenty) market and those who want Diablo (or some other stat-driven game) to be considered a RPG in some vain fanboyism to excuse Blizzard or whomever from calling it.

stevemedes
07-07-06, 07:25 PM
LOL i was just running down this hill with boulders on it jumping over the boulders, then i jumped too high and died =( This game is fun

CaptNKILL
07-07-06, 08:16 PM
LOL i was just running down this hill with boulders on it jumping over the boulders, then i jumped too high and died =( This game is fun
:rofl

Done that so many times... you have no idea.

I think the falling damage is quite a bit higher than it was in Morrowind, maybe a bit more realistic, but I dont know. Its freaking HILARIOUS doing it on a horse. Just jump off a huge cliff on your horse and the horse will die and fall out from undernieth you, topple end over end and send you flying through the air - usually killing you :lol:

Oh, and if you havent noticed it yet, one of the biggest joys of "messing around" in this game is luring wild animals onto hills so you can kill them and watch them tumble and flail down the hill for 5 minutes :lol: