PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 Question

Riptide
02-08-03, 09:23 AM
Has anyone else got this impression?

The character moves around noticeably slower than other FPS, and even UT2003. Running is more like walking, and walking seems more like crawling. If I dodge, it just seems like it doesn't jump very far. It makes evading fire kinda tough. It's not a mouse sensitivity issue because it swivels around just fine, the movement seems positively anemic to me though. This is very annoying... Am I the only one to notice this or am I just imagining things?

digitalwanderer
02-08-03, 09:44 AM
No, it is slower in movement and such. I think I remember reading in a pre-release hype article that they intentionally did that.

It's a pacing thing. They didn't want this game as frenetic and action orientated as UT2k3, it's supposed to be a bit of a suspense/discovery thing too. (Which I read as, "Damn it, we put SO much time into the freaking level design detail that we want to make you walk slow so you REALLY get a chance to look at it!" ;) )

I dunno, I even added some 'bullet-time' binds so I could nail them jumpy reptillian types. (Hey, I'm old and I'll play me bloody games any way I want to! :p )

I don't mind the slow, but the guy who does John Dutton's voice SERIOUSLY got on me nerves before I finished the game! (You'd figure after the same guy bombed out in 'Sin' and 'Crimson Skies' that they MIGHT try and get someone else for their big game. :rolleyes: ) I just can NOT get the visuals of the late/great Phil Hartman doing a sarcastically self-impressed hero-type out of me head whenever I hear him speak! :eek:

Smokey
02-08-03, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Has anyone else got this impression?

The character moves around noticeably slower than other FPS, and even UT2003. Running is more like walking, and walking seems more like crawling. If I dodge, it just seems like it doesn't jump very far. It makes evading fire kinda tough. It's not a mouse sensitivity issue because it swivels around just fine, the movement seems positively anemic to me though. This is very annoying... Am I the only one to notice this or am I just imagining things?

Im going to pick it up today if I can. Cant you change the speed via the Unreal.ini file?

Riptide
02-08-03, 10:47 AM
If anyone figures out a way to speed up the character's running please let me know... I guess I understand why they slowed it down but if there is a way around it I'd sure like to know.

I think it sucks.

-=DVS=-
02-08-03, 02:23 PM
If anyone figures out a way to speed up the character's running please let me know... I guess I understand why they slowed it down but if there is a way around it I'd sure like to know.

I think it sucks.

You can't excpect to run like hell with that heavy armored suit :rolleyes: i think speed it very good , makeing it run as fast as in UT2k3 makes game not realistic IMO , I finsihed the game long ago , and i noticed the heavier the armor of a person the slower he will walk , look at skarj.. some of them have no armor at all but naked and they run and jump very fast while others are very heavy armored and run/walk slow ;)

Riptide
02-08-03, 04:29 PM
Hmmm... Characters in Quake3 had armor but ran pretty quickly. Guess it's apples and oranges.

Regardless, I would prefer the character to move faster so if anyone figures out a "fix" or a tweak please let me know. :)

Groltz
02-08-03, 10:43 PM

I think it sucks.

Drop down the console and type: setspeed 2.5

I like 2.5, but you can use a higher number to go even faster.

AngelGraves13
02-08-03, 11:22 PM
You won't want to speed up the game man....trust me it'll feel so fake. Doom III will be slower too......because people don't walk that fast. And in Doom III if you're running all the time then you'll waste your energy and when you're being attacked and you need to run you'll be too tired to. So DOOM III will default to always walk otherwise you won't live long. Ever tried running all the time??? Get tired quick don't you. The speed in Unreal 2 is great and realistic.... Get used to it, all the new games will be slower. If you want fast games then don't play real-time games....... because in real-time, you'll be walking and running like you actually would. I wonder what the speed in Quake 4 will be like. It'll probably look very funny if you can run around all fast because of the highly realistic engine. :D

Chalnoth
02-09-03, 04:07 AM
It really would not be a good idea to increase the running speed in Unreal 2. The game is short enough as it is. If you get this game, take it slow. It's a great game, but it isn't very long.

And just fyi, I find the slower movement speed to add something else to the game: strategy. You actually need to think to defeat many enemies in this game.

SavagePaladin
02-09-03, 06:15 AM
And reload a lot...assuming you're on Hard anyway.......
<cough> me? reload 15 times in ten minutes? never....
Oh well. Now if only my system didn't still suck. Its probably not actually helping my 'skill'

Riptide
02-09-03, 11:51 PM
Well so far I think the game is OK. The graphics are good and I like the cutscenes. The cutscenes (which are gorgeous, btw) sometimes drop a frame here or there on my system for some reason but the game is after all a bit of a hog. People complaining of slow load times on cutscenes and missions are probably using less than 512meg of RAM. I have a gig and the levels load in less than 20 seconds typically.

I agree with those that say the story doesn't provide enough detail. At times it seems rather vague. More information on the nature of the artifacts would've been nice.

Thankfully there aren't a ton of puzzles that need to be solved. I am playing the game on hard (1st time through). I'm thinking it'll take more than 10 hours to finish it for me even though I know some say it can be done in that amount of time on hard.

The turrets, shield generators, and the ability to do some rudimentary squad command functions are cool touches.

The game is a bit disappointing to me vs. the experience I got out of the original Unreal. But hey, the gfx in that one seemed to blow everything else entirely out of the water (can you say V2 SLI?) and it was just such a step forward in that area. I imagine the first game was a bit longer as well, especially on hard..

Chalnoth
02-10-03, 05:56 AM
Yeah, the first game was much longer. Had somewhere around 30-40 single-player levels, and almost none of them were very short. Definitely the longest FPS I've played in a while, if ever (btw, later on, I was able to beat the whole game on Unreal challenge...damn I played that one to death).

As for what the artifacts do, that's part of the reason to play the game all the way through :)

But I did feel like it wasn't executed all that well. In some places, I was left thinking, "What the hell? Why did he do that?" They really could have done a better job executing the story.

However, I think that Unreal 2 still offers the best story in an FPS I've ever seen, despite its shortcomings.

Riptide
02-10-03, 09:42 AM
I'll take your word for it chalnoth that the game needs to be played all the way through before a final judgement is made on the story. Not sure how much further I have to go before I finish it. I'll be picking up where I left off next weekend. Damn work always interferes with playtime during the week! ;)

SavagePaladin
02-10-03, 11:49 AM
I'm still curious as to whether if you replay you can get characters to react to you differently. I'm guessing yes, as it was a big feature in previews all over.

And I loved Assault, so I may very well play this over :) Its a bit slow but its entertaining

Riptide
02-10-03, 01:06 PM
After doing some more reading around on the web I've come to the conclusion that YMMV with 100% certainty regarding this title.

Particularly regarding the story, the cutscenes, and shipboard activities (talking Aida, Issak, etc.).

Some people HATE the cutscenes and think the story is total crap (what story, they say). Some think the activities you can do onboard the Atlantis are a total boring waste of time.

Others think the story is pretty cool, the cutscenes add to the story (not to mention look good) and the shipboard activities add a little something to the game.

Very, very widely mixed opinions on this one. Strange. There is a poll over at Ars and it would appear the majority are disappointed somewhat but cleary think that the game is not "total crap" like some seem to say.

One thing that gets knocked occasionally is the AI. I'm not entirely certain why. At least on hard, I think the mercs are pretty tough. They frequently take to cover and fire at you from there. I've even had a few of them hit the deck and take cover to fire at you from the ground which is something I've not seen before. They are also excellent shots (the mercs). They can dodge pretty well and are quick. Honestly, at least on the hard setting I'm not sure what else people wanted out of the AI. I think they expect to much...

SavagePaladin
02-10-03, 01:54 PM
I don't think most people are playing on hard, on that note. I am, but hey.

Riptide
02-10-03, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
I don't think most people are playing on hard, on that note. I am, but hey.
Perhaps this is why they are finishing it in 10 hours no? Maybe that is also why some seem to think the AI is weak. You might need to jack it up to hard in order to get the AI to shine a little brighter.

Real men play it on hard anyway. :D

AngelGraves13
02-14-03, 01:20 AM
wait for the patches.........please! :D

digitalwanderer
02-14-03, 08:59 AM
Going thru me second time I'm doing it "setspeed 2" & "Setjumpz 1000". A whole lot less realistic, but MUCH quicker paced!

I'm gonna change me answer, I think they made you move so slow to keep you from noticing how short the game was... ;)

SavagePaladin
02-14-03, 03:38 PM
Took me a week to finish it on Hard, though I wasnt obviously playing all day every day, I did quite a bit the first few days...
and now I'm playing it again. Rock on.

Greg
02-14-03, 10:00 PM
So..

Is the game more fun on Hard?

and is the game lots of fun the second and perhaps third time through?

SavagePaladin
02-14-03, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Greg
So..

Is the game more fun on Hard?

and is the game lots of fun the second and perhaps third time through?
I don't know, I never played it on Normal. But yes, playing it again is still fun.

Mike89
02-17-03, 02:03 AM
I think the pace is about right for running but it is way too slow at walking. I am an exclusive single player (yes there is some of us left) so game atmosphere is very important to me. I don't like to run everywhere cause that's just not realistic. I like to involve myself in the game and move as quick as I need for the moment at hand. But I found that I got tired of walking in U2 because it was much more like crawling which is not realistic either. All in all I liked Unreal 2 but graphics aside, for me it was no where near as good as the original for atmosphere (and no where near as long). After being spoiled by FSAA, I was bummed that I had to play this game without it to get it as fluid playing as I like. I guess this is a wave of the future games coming down the pyke. I need to upgrade my vid card, the 4600 (while still good for some games) will just not cut it anymore for games like this (for the way I like to play anyway).

SavagePaladin
02-17-03, 03:20 AM
You try going faster with huge armor on...hehe

Mojo
02-17-03, 05:49 AM
okay.... lets see here... now where did i put my power armour...:confused:

ah yes, thats it - i lent it to Gordon Freeman

Dude, where's my brain?
<chuckles>

-Mojo