PDA

View Full Version : SLI or dual-head?

SquireSCA
07-06-06, 04:16 PM
Specs in sig.

I also have a second LCD here, a Samsung 191t, 19".

I am not gaming nearly as much as I used to, so I was wondering if instead of running the two cards in SLI, if perhaps I should just through one card for each display?

Is this easy to do? Can I still game on the one 7800GTX connected to the 20" LCD, and have something else running on the other? Is it a pain to set up or deal with? Will both cards run at full performance and features and all that? One LCD would run at 1680x1050 while the other would be at 1280x1024.

I have never tried this, so maybe it is simpler than I think. Thoughts?

SquireSCA
07-06-06, 04:37 PM
Even better would be if I could change a setting in the driver tab when I want to enable SLI for gaming, and when I am done, switch back to dual display and have the second LCD click on.

Can this be done without a reboot?

SquireSCA
07-07-06, 06:53 AM
Nobody has any input?

OWA
07-07-06, 08:51 AM
I haven't tried running a display off of different cards so I'm not sure how all that works in regards to performance/features/etc.. I've just done it with both displays off the same card.

You can disable SLI and use two displays (and vice-versa) without rebooting. You can also designate which display to use for gaming when enabling SLI.

Edit: I'd probably try to borrow another monitor, even if it's a small, older one, just to play around with it first. If I have the time this weekend though, I can try the setup you're describing just to see how it all works.

SquireSCA
07-07-06, 09:29 AM
Cool. Ideally, I know that XP and Vista also will support dual video cards.

If I could dedicate one card to each monitor, but then flip the SLI switch and run a game on the main monitor, that would rock, so long as I do not have to reboot.

If anyone else has some insight, let me know. Thanks!