PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 6800GS 512MB, overheating problems?

taitou
07-07-06, 03:42 AM
Hi,

After musing for a while and consulting these forums, I finally bought a Gainward 6800GS 512MB Golden Sample.

After plugging the rather weighty card in (and unplugging one DVD drive and a hard drive to power it..) I turned on the PC, all fine so far.

I loaded up Half Life 2, managed to get it in 1280x960, high quality everything and 2x antialising, so I was happy with that.

Same sort of results in UT2004 and FarCry. Next I loaded up the Prey demo and it was looking beautiful, up to the point when it crashed (usual 'don't send' or 'send' error)

I didn't think much of this at the time, but later I installed 3d mark 03, 05 and 06. I was running 03, got to the end of the Lair test and my PC restarted.

Same thing happend in 05 - did a few tests, restarted itself.

My specs are as follows:

Athlon 2600XP @ 1.9GHz
768 DDR RAM
Gainward 6800GS Golden Sample 512MB AGP
400W PSU with 12v

The main points I'm wondering are:

1. Do I need a more powerful PSU? Is the PC restarting because the graphics card isn't getting enough power?

2. Do I need a system fan in the case the help the air circulate around a bit?

3. Should I get both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it'd be nice to not have to worry about crashing and oveheating. :)

Superfly
07-07-06, 03:53 AM
Power is most likely the problem - 99% sure on that.

taitou
07-07-06, 04:14 AM
What sort of wattage should I be looking at now? 550W? I've heard that making sure it has 12v is important?

Ideally, I want to be able to power my DVD-RW, DVD Drive, Two HDD, Floppy Drive, CPU and GFX.

Are any particular brands deemed the best? What sort of price should I be looking at?

Also, I loaded up the Sims 2, and before, when I had a puny 5200FX, the game chugged along on one of my big lots (with a lot of people wandering around). I thought the 6800GS would fix this, but it *still* chugs with a lot of people on a large lot.

Is this more likely to be a RAM problem or maybe a CPU problem because it has to figure out all the AI?

Cheers for your help so far :)

Superfly
07-07-06, 05:00 AM
Its not the 12v or the total wattage that matters its the ampage on the 12v rail that counts and you want as much as you can get 20a+ at least.

As a general rule anything above 450w from a decent manufacturer should provide enough power for a single card, also make sure the GPU has a dedicated supply not shared with other devices.

Hope this makes sense.

taitou
07-07-06, 05:26 AM
Yup, I'm with you on this, I just hope dabs.com or wherever I get the PSU has enough details about it. OF course if it doesn't have the details I won't buy it.

Anyway, I've remembered something extra.. when XP had finished loading up after restarting, Nview manager comes up with something like:

'The SLI feature on your card has been disabled as you only have one card in your system'

Well, that's the jist of it. I find this strange as surely it is set to one card by default, plus I can't find the option anywhere in the Nview settings or the ExpertTool that comes with gainward boards.

Many thanks for you help :)