PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT and DVD playpack .... options

Lazaredz
07-07-06, 07:03 PM
Details on my system are in the specs below. Basicly, I've been using PowerDVD 6.0 Standard as my DVD player. I've heard though that with the 9x.xx drivers nVidia has made some progress on the suposed video playback features that were supposed to be in all 6xxx+ chips. As I recall early 6800 chips did not truely have this feature.

Anywho, my question is should I just stick with PowerDVD and the 91.31 drivers or is there an option to utilize the hardware on the 6800GT chip for DVD playback? If so, what program from nVidia do I need?

Thanks for the help (and patience) in advance.

sharangad
07-08-06, 03:28 AM
All the 6 series supported MPEG-2 decoding. Some of the 6 series and almost all of the 7 series support other formats like WMV (VC-1) and H.264 ( All the AGP cards including the 7800 GS don't support WMV HD or support it with problems at higher bitrates, though they do support H.264 ).

As for which player to use, there was always some hardware acceleration for watching DVDs on GF6/7 ( and even older cards all the way back to the GF4 ) which should work in apps like PowerDVD provided you've turned on the hardware acceleration tick box in the program.

There were some features which used to work only in nVidia's PureVideo video decoder like bad-edit detection and inverse telecine on the 6 and 7 series. However with Forceware 90 both all PureVideo features including smart deinterlacing work with any DVD player program including PowerDVD as all of these features are now integrated into the DXVA ( DirectX Video Acceleration ) interface.

So your version of PowerDVD should in fact use the PureVideo features perfectly. You could do some tests with the same DVDs with both FW90 and FW80 and see if you notice a difference.