PDA

View Full Version : question about 7950X2

Mediamediaman
07-07-06, 11:34 PM
How does the video cards run in sli on your systems?
I need your input on this i want to buy another card if it is really worth it, and run SLI Dual Cards.
I running
ASUS A8N32-SLI
2x1GB supertalent PC3200
MSI 7950GX2
2 seagate 300 gig HD
2 WD 250 gig HD
1 WD 36 raptor HD
media center 2005
thermaltake 680 PS
Asus Physx P1 Card 128 megs
Watercooling cpu AMD X2 3800 processor
Lite On Dvd burner

Digital_Trans
07-08-06, 12:55 AM
Well, I don't have your answer but I can say this much... If I were you, I'd hold off on getting another 7950 GX2 and wait for the Nvidia G80 Series to come out with DirectX 10 support. I know that most games are years away from really using DirectX 10 but, if your going to drop that kind of money again I'd hold off and see what Nvidia has to offer next since the G80 cards are right around the corner. Make a valid purchase! Make it count! :D

Knowledge is power! Knowing is half the battle!

marqmajere
07-08-06, 02:53 AM
Well, I don't have your answer but I can say this much... If I were you, I'd hold off on getting another 7950 GX2 and wait for the Nvidia G80 Series to come out with DirectX 10 support. I know that most games are years away from really using DirectX 10 but, if your going to drop that kind of money again I'd hold off and see what Nvidia has to offer next since the G80 cards are right around the corner. Make a valid purchase! Make it count! :D

Knowledge is power! Knowing is half the battle!

Yes, but if he waits till the next line of cards comes out, You'll be telling him to wait untill the cards after those. When does it end? :D

mezkal
07-08-06, 04:06 AM
FUD! (with a smile)

Confusion is power! Knowing just how and who to confuse is half the battle!

Gee thanks FUD McSpammy....

Read and you'll notice that he already owns one 7950 GX2 and wishes to SLI that with another for QUAD SLI. No matter what's around the corner, QUAD SLI with 4 Way interleaved AFR is where it's at right now. I'm guessing he wants to play his games right now too, not only in the future.

Please find a better soapbox to stand on than "I tell you, that's a waste of money".

It's boring.

Digital_Trans
07-08-06, 05:07 AM

Read and you'll notice that he already owns one 7950 GX2 and wishes to SLI that with another for QUAD SLI. No matter what's around the corner, QUAD SLI with 4 Way interleaved AFR is where it's at right now. I'm guessing he wants to play his games right now too, not only in the future.

Please find a better soapbox to stand on than "I tell you, that's a waste of money".

It's boring.

Okay, to each their own! :D

Digital_Trans
07-08-06, 05:08 AM
Yes, but if he waits till the next line of cards comes out, You'll be telling him to wait untill the cards after those. When does it end? :D

That's such a dumb asinine remark JK! :D

Digital_Trans
07-08-06, 05:22 AM

It's boring.

I know I'm going to wait for the newer G80 Series with multi GPU for a "QUAD SLI" setup with higher clock speeds then what's currently
on the 7950 GX2. The G80 Series is going to be better because it's technology.

Digital_Trans
07-08-06, 05:23 AM
Nvidia core G80-

nVidia's newer line of GPUs in the G80 series will be the first true dual-core GPUs, as opposed to multiple cores per PCB and SLI. These new beasts also carry DirectX10 support, Shader Model 4.0, core speeds 800MHz with room for growth and be based on the newer “half-node” 80nm process, resulting in a much appreciated heat reduction. These might also be the first cards on the market to utilize GDDR4. :D

SH64
07-08-06, 08:15 AM
QuadSLI is running great on my system but only for few games/apps. DONT EXPECT super performance in all games , maybe only 2 or 3 at best. its not supported yet.
& your PSU might get QuadSLI to work but its not enough. its recommended at least you get a 700W PSU.

as for single 7950GX2 it's hella fast & enough for most of todays games if you are not intending burning more cash on a second one.

mezkal
07-09-06, 09:40 PM
That's such a dumb asinine remark JK! :D

Translated : that's something a mute donkey would say.

Your statement makes no sense and is somewhat of a grammatical failure. See "assinine".

memmy
07-11-06, 03:55 PM
Yea he is right There isn't too much support for it but it is running fine in my pc thanks to the new 91.33 driver release.
I would say the drivers are finally all good!
And its up to you if you want to go quad.
Like the physx card you have,There isn't much support yet,actually even less support but man is it cool!
I'd say go ahead and get another.
It's only $600 then wait till the g80 comes out with their later versions,because if you hold out for the g80,you know they are just gonna go make better g80s on you.

memmy
07-11-06, 03:59 PM
I just noticed you have 680 watt power supply,and 2 gb of ram.
I would get a higher watt power supply and 2 more gb of ram 1st though.
But that's me. Honestly either way you can't loose.