PDA

View Full Version : New 7900GTX...Flashing desktop on exit FEAR

K007
07-08-06, 05:39 AM
So i got my new card today which replaced my old GTX which died after 2 days.

So i did a fresh install of the OS and updated all the drivers using the latest nforce and 91.33 drivers for the GPU.
Ran 3dmark06 once , no problem it finished didnt see anything. (first time actually running this eva)

Ran CS:S VST worked fine.
Ran TRL fine.
Played BF2/CS:S fine.
Installed FEAR and put everything up 1280x960 2xAA then notice the fps really was getting a big hit perfermance test was good but the gameplay was very poor, so i disabled AA and got a instant smooth butter, and i decided to exit the game and got flashing desktop...it kept flashing going black/and comming back, kinda frozen desktop too, but the windows OS was working as i was able to shutdown the PC via the Powerbutton.

So i am wondering if this is a sign of another dead card?

Will run more tests.

Funny thing was the perfermance test in FEAR ran butter smooth with 10% in to the 25-xx (cant remmeber) and the last one 90%..but when i started single game fps was like real crap...disabled AA and went extremely smooth...thats when i exit and just screwed up desktop..

Edit: Ran atitool after running 3dmark06 deep freeze( i cancel this half way as i didnt ssee anything wrong then ran ati tool and it ran ok for maybe 20-30 seconds then when i try to stop it just kept doing flashing desktop/blank screen/flashing):thumbdwn:

edit2: Now VST after comming down shows same problem as before..goes 100% fps..comes down to the second water like cube..and cuts fps by over 50%.

Here is shot of what happens in TRL.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1058/untitled1rv1.jpg

Edit3:Ran fear again. saw blue and funny dots on the sky etc arround, then hard locked/restart.

EDIT4:Quake 4 same story, getting freeze..then going..freeze..going, go into menu and red/blue/funny colour dots all over menu..hardlock on exit..shutdown/restart.

EDIT5 Ready to blow something up...

Update: Downgrading the memory to 700 (default 800) allows me to complete VST a bit glitchy but i get 155FPS..cleary these cards have a memory problem. It cant be a PSU thing if a simple downgrade on the memory makes the card run a bit better.

K007
07-08-06, 07:31 AM
What dosen't make sense is that the GPU worked fine @ first. I cauld run VST without any problem and get 168FPS...now that i get this problem after playing FEAR which obviously tested the gpu, and now i can run VST but its 110FPS..

Also the problems in TRL is very random..

Is it a PSU problem? I dont want to go spend 250AU on a PSU if its not a PSU issue..because that would be a total waste of money ATM.

K007
07-08-06, 10:03 AM
Ok more updates. Downgrade memory to 650mhz. And i can play Quake 4 without a problem. VST works. FEAR works. TRL no problems. Quake 4 and FEAR both had 1 or 2 dots tiny pixel but only at one point and never show up. Quake 4 only in main menu after game playing. Can exit the game no problems now.

BUT i did not pay alot of money for a downgraded GTX. Clearly the samsung or what eva memory on the GTX cant handle this. If a simple downgrade on the memory all the way down to 1300 can fix the problem or atleast show improvement..then its pretty clear that the GT and the GTX memory is actually fuxored. Atleast i know my PSU is ok so nothing to worry there.
a
Also Leadtek did tell me they got new cards with the problem fixed if its the same solution as the eVGA (they got directly from nvidia as well so should be same with Leadtek) then i should be ok once i get a full replacement from Leadtek. Clearly the memory is the problem in these GPUs, and we already saw the eVGA 7900GT has its memory replaced..hopefully it is the fix.

As for me..i am gonna downgrade memory from 650 down to 600 clearly it is the only solution i have now..sadly..i am very dissapointed @ nvidia for putting me through this..

I just hope Leadtek wont ask me to send the GTX via shipment all the way from Australia to..where eva they want me to because i am in no way going to do that and risk loosing the card. I am still waiting for my copy of Guild Wars (Pre orderd..gg). I hope they will send me a card with the problem fixed and allow me to send the brocken one back to them once i get the new working one..evga does it -.-..otherwise i will ask the shopowner to come up with the solution..a fast one too.

PS: OMFG Quake 4 runs so smooth 1280x960 ress 4xaa 16xaf all maxed settings quality and HQ CP and all 60FPS..before even on my 6800GT i cauldnt even do 1024 / 2xaa without major fps drop outside..in this..60.

PS: Its winter in Australia so its bloody freezing, i even had the gpu idle temp down below 30 and the bars were all gre

K007
07-08-06, 10:50 AM
Wow...after 650/600, played fear on 1280x960 2xaa all max high qualty settings with water med and softshadow off...jesus game is so smooth and looks so amazing...

Obiously this is a temporary fix...till i get a new gtx with replaced ram i assume.

whiskeychaser
07-08-06, 11:24 AM
If you can upgrade to the 7950, I would do it. I went through 4 7900gtx's before I gave up and upgraded. I've had over a month of problem free computing, which has allowed me to actually play games and enjoy life. Troubleshooting an obviously defective product is just a waste of time, IMO. Good luck.

jAkUp
07-08-06, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a bad card. What type of memory did your replacement card have? Samsung or Infineon?

K007
07-08-06, 11:56 AM
Its gotta be Samsung because this is pretty much a new card off the box. Also if i want to check the memory ill have to take the gtx cooler off which if i do will give me problems with the dealer to get the fixed ones.

The person who i kept in touch over at leadtek said that they got the new cards that are problem free and are comming to Australia in 2 weeks time. She said that to contact her if the second one stuffs up....and its the weekend so might be awhile before i get a msg back.

jAkUp
07-08-06, 12:08 PM
Only way I am sure of is on the memory itself.

SilentMercury
07-08-06, 02:23 PM
Sounds exactly what my 7900GTX did when I bought it. RMA time.

takovr
07-08-06, 02:40 PM
Well I"m on my 3rd xfx7900gt video card and I also get flashing when exiting fear. All my other games run fine and I score 4558 in 3d marks 2006 with a 3500 cpu. So I will chalk it up to fear being a older game and the 7900gt being newer and faster...

K007
07-08-06, 09:23 PM
Well just for ****s i ran FEAR overnight on low memory. Woke up this morning, whihc was about 6-7 hours of FEAR running..and did not have any problems.. I had a small macro running so it moves my guy arround (ie i just had it press wasd and shoot). Its a temp fix for now till i get hold of the new cards..

Would be nice to get some feedback from those users who got there new eVGA cards.

K007
07-08-06, 10:41 PM
I tried putting the memory to 801..it failed..lol. even 795 fails.

Xion X2
07-09-06, 11:23 PM
If I were you, I would still try and get another PSU to swap in to see if that fixes your problem. You've got no business trying to run that high-performance card on that crappy dual-rail power supply. It only has a measly 16A on one of the two rails, and it takes 15-16A minimum to run the GTX. If it fails to pull off the second rail--which AMD motherboards tend to do quite often--then high performance games like FEAR will make it crash.

Crashing to the desktop is typically a PSU problem, IMO. It might still be a card problem, but downclocking your memory would also reduce your power consumption, thus, keep your computer from crashing if you're pushing the maximum amps on your PSU.

memmy
07-09-06, 11:38 PM
I know the newest fear patch has all kinds of problems for me.
Try using the second newest fear patch and when you start the game and it says there is an update would you like to updated click no,and play using the older patch.
try that

K007
07-10-06, 12:32 AM
If I were you, I would still try and get another PSU to swap in to see if that fixes your problem. You've got no business trying to run that high-performance card on that crappy dual-rail power supply. It only has a measly 16A on one of the two rails, and it takes 15-16A minimum to run the GTX. If it fails to pull off the second rail--which AMD motherboards tend to do quite often--then high performance games like FEAR will make it crash.

Crashing to the desktop is typically a PSU problem, IMO. It might still be a card problem, but downclocking your memory would also reduce your power consumption, thus, keep your computer from crashing if you're pushing the maximum amps on your PSU.

Game dosen't crash. No games crashes. Just on exit certain games causes flashing desktop/only restart will fix..sometimes after awhile it restarts on its own. Other things like Quake 4 freezes..goes to full speed..freezes...has red/blue /green square boxes all over the menu. In FEAR fps just drops down alot randomly..minimize/restore brings it back upto full speed, has the same funny dots on the sky too.

Since second card failed and Leadtek did email me and said that there is a problem that they are aware of and are working on a fix the store guy is gonna try it on another pc tommorow if it fails as usual it will, he will let me grab the 7950.

ATM no memory settings work anymore.

Also FEAR and Q4 after memory underclock worked fine. Infact FEAR was really awsome @ 1280/2xAA. Game looks pretty nice sometimes, Q4..well 59-60fps ><. Even Oblivion ran smooth. VST ran fine as well but moment i return normal clocks..it dosent work well.

Also i dont want to spend another 200AU on a PSU that may or may not fix the problem, because i can pay an extra 250AU for the 7950 which works fine with the PSU i have because i had a friend bring his 7950 over and it worked pretty smooth..fps wise it felt pretty similar to the GTX..and thats probably because of the CPU i have but hey..it worked...

With the GTX i have now when i hit Auto detect even that the bar goes about 2-3% and just dosent go anywhere..comes out as 650/800.

I have tried many ways to see if its the PSU tried using the Molex just to see if its the PSU or something else..even tried plugging the EZ Plug thing on the motherboard..tried different PCI-e and all of it..same problem. Default clocks...it fails.

I was told that maybe there isen't enuf load on the rail so i tried having the HDD IDE and the GPU on same wire..samething.

K007
07-12-06, 11:32 PM
Gave up on the GTX. Moved to the GX2 and payed the extra difference and picking up the new card next week :(..

Xion X2
07-13-06, 08:26 AM
The GX2 shouldn't give you any problems. Just be aware that you cannot triple-buffer & vsync in Direct3D at the same time. Some guys don't realize that when going SLi--I was one of those unfortunate souls.

K007
07-13-06, 09:07 AM
I never used Vsync before ><..never had the need for it :D. <3 CRT