PDA

View Full Version : Free weekend of DoD:S

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
07-08-06, 10:55 AM
Sorry if this was posted already, but when I fired up Steam to finish HL2:E1 last night, I got this update. I installed and played it for a little while and to be honest, it's REALLY fun. If it wasn't $20, I would buy it in a second.

It looks great, it plays great...I love it. :)

nVidi0t
07-08-06, 01:51 PM
Yep, fantastic game. Hit me up with a PM or on google talk (I got you on there) when you wanna play a couple of games.

CaptNKILL
07-08-06, 02:22 PM
doh! Thanks for reminding me! I was going to get it and try it out. I loved DoD way back in the day but I didnt want to plunk down $20 for this one if it wasnt significantly better.

kev13dd
07-08-06, 04:48 PM
Already played it today! I love these free weekends, I sure hope they keep having them so I don't have to pay for the game. I was so close to buying it last time...

K

superklye
07-08-06, 05:11 PM
I think next time it goes on sale at Best Buy or something, I'll snag it. Or when I get enough Reward Certificates. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, just not worth $20.

rflair
07-08-06, 06:41 PM
I think next time it goes on sale at Best Buy or something, I'll snag it. Or when I get enough Reward Certificates. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, just not worth $20.

Hell bro you bought HL2:EP1, DoD:S is a million times better for $20.

I bought DoD:S the day it was released, it still one of my favorite online games. This free weekend is a blast, newb's die so easy :D .

superklye
07-08-06, 06:44 PM
I got Episode 1 for $3 though. :D

CaptNKILL
07-09-06, 04:39 AM
I played it a bit earlier, seems pretty cool. I was getting some weird lag spikes (getting stuck and bouncing around) but overall it seems good. Im really disapointed that they got rid of the beyonettes though. I havent played DoD in over a year, but I thought that was one of the things that would still be there.

As I expected though, the K98 still kicks major ass:D

I was destroying people even in close quarters vs. a thompson. I LOVE the slow shooting, high accuracy, high power guns. Its like a railgun :lol:

I'll play some more tomorrow, but it looks good so far. I might have to buy it :thumbsup:

muaddib
07-09-06, 04:45 AM
I gave it a shot for the first time too... and I LOVE it.
I was so stupid for not buying the HL2 Silver through steam.

Mr_LoL
07-09-06, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up. thing is will it be better than call of duty 1 multiplayer? I play that everyday.

PeterJensen
07-09-06, 01:22 PM
Its way better then CoD

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 03:33 AM
I just noticed some strange framerate drops in some areas. I had the ingame frame counter going and it was showing the framerates flashing between red\yellow\green really really fast. I think thats probably between 40 and 60fps, flashing back and forth. It makes the game feel extremely "jerky" in these areas. In other places on the same map on the same server with the same people I was getting between 70 and 120fps. Anyone know what this could be? Im not using vsync.

It looks like it has to be something visual (ie, not programs running in the background) too because it only does it in some areas, but it does it every time. Very strange.

Rayman1968
07-10-06, 11:18 AM
Some of the DoD:S maps have some very graphics intense areas. Especially areas with water. Take the bridge area on Anzio for example. Combine that water with half a dozen players on the screen and I'll get the same dips in FPS that you're getting.

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 11:57 AM
Some of the DoD:S maps have some very graphics intense areas. Especially areas with water. Take the bridge area on Anzio for example. Combine that water with half a dozen players on the screen and I'll get the same dips in FPS that you're getting.
This was in an alley without anything going on and only 4 players on the server... I cant remember which map exactly. Its one where the allies start out in transport boats, and have to go into the city. The axis start out in some ruins, and theres a fountain out in front of their spawn area. Theres also a bridge and some sewer ways, and a destroyed church with a cemetery... its a really really complex map, but the place that was giving me problems was right near the edge of it, just outside one of the allied spawn areas.

Its weird, it isnt exactly a framerate thing, its that it fluctuates by 20-30fps like 5 times per second. I can deal with 50fps, thats great.... but the fluctuations make the game choppy and really difficult to play.

Rayman1968
07-10-06, 02:19 PM
This was in an alley without anything going on and only 4 players on the server... I cant remember which map exactly. Its one where the allies start out in transport boats, and have to go into the city. The axis start out in some ruins, and theres a fountain out in front of their spawn area. Theres also a bridge and some sewer ways, and a destroyed church with a cemetery... its a really really complex map, but the place that was giving me problems was right near the edge of it, just outside one of the allied spawn areas.

Its weird, it isnt exactly a framerate thing, its that it fluctuates by 20-30fps like 5 times per second. I can deal with 50fps, thats great.... but the fluctuations make the game choppy and really difficult to play.

That's Anzio.

Mr_LoL
07-10-06, 02:26 PM
Bah. Everytime I try and load up the game, I get a BSOD. cant wait to build a new comp with conroe at the end of August.

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 02:27 PM
I think Im going to pick this up at walmart today if I can find it. I have a $25 gift card so I can get it for free :D

EDIT: Damn walmart... they dont even have it any more! :thumbdwn:

johnkeel105
07-11-06, 08:46 AM
Anzio is the laggiest map of the game I belive. Most of it is smooth as butter. If Walmart does not have it try Best Buy.

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 01:21 PM
Anzio is the laggiest map of the game I belive. Most of it is smooth as butter. If Walmart does not have it try Best Buy.
We dont have a BestBuy around here :(

I just ordered it from Amazon though. $18 with free shipping (bought it with something else too). Not bad at all.

rflair
07-11-06, 02:28 PM
What nicks you guys play as, I'm rflair. The find a friend thing works good so maybe I'll search you guys out.

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 02:59 PM
I play as CaptNKILL, but I wont have my game till probably next week. :(

Mudcrutch
07-11-06, 06:19 PM
I play as "Mudcrutch" and am on quite a bit recently.

best maps in my opinion:

colmar (I initially liked jagd a lot but i like colmar better now - see screenshot below :) )
flash
donner
argentan

Rayman1968
07-11-06, 07:34 PM
We dont have a BestBuy around here :(

I just ordered it from Amazon though. $18 with free shipping (bought it with something else too). Not bad at all.

Didn't want to buy it through Steam?

Mr_LoL
07-12-06, 10:31 AM
Didn't want to buy it through Steam?

I think some folks prefer to have a physical copy when they buy games. It makes reinstalling easier when things go wrong.

CaptNKILL
07-12-06, 11:57 AM
I think some folks prefer to have a physical copy when they buy games. It makes reinstalling easier when things go wrong.
Yeah, I have a TON of games and mods in steam and I tend to only buy things through there if I need it immediately or I can save some money. DoD:S is more expensive through steam than it is at most stores.

The only game I bought through steam that I regret not purchasing retail is HL2 Episode 1. I could have gotten it cheaper and I like to have the boxes for really good games.