PDA

View Full Version : Prey demo: Another worthless FPS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GamblerFEXonlin
07-08-06, 11:47 AM
Don't buy this game, it has no depth.

Story, dialogues

Its just another Doom 3/Quake 4 game, a little talk and a few unintelligent sentencens and then your in an alien and gross environment shooting. I'd love more technical mojo and good sentences.

Play System Shock 2 for good technical mojo (even for todays standards) and good voice-acting and intelligent dialogue and a very scary story that holds back and get better as you progress in the game.

Gameplay

and complex missions, or more strategic action like Half Life 2s physics: blow up a bridge and they fall down. Where is the concept of arena, then explore, then puzzle? Here its no arena just indoor architecture and corridors with random placed encounters.

"Walking-in-the-roof" and box-portals are very WOW at first but then not very depthy.

Weapons

The weapons are tame and not very interesting, their sound effects are plush and not as instant as i.e Quake 3 or Half Life 2 machine gun. With those we get more solid feeling.

Would be nice if the weapons had a story and explanation or he had to "learn" how to use them? A little more depth that is.

Monsters

The monsters are very fake when they get hit and die, and if you continue shoot them they won't blow up/dismember. When they are frozen they won't shatter. One should be able to shoot the brain-in-belly zomebies in the belly and it would shatter and you could give it critical hits there. It would add depth and gameplay, which is the most important factors in a fun game.

It's almost as bad as the monsters in Unreal 2.

If I wan't brainless and fun action let me have Doom 1&2, there we have huge arenas, lots of monsters, satesfying hits (pronounced and solid blood splatter, made possible because of the low resolution), satesfying death animations and weapons with personality and good sound FX. Quake 3 Arena also has good weapons and gameplay and the arcade feeling.

IF you disagree with this information please explain what you like with the game and share your insight.

Banko
07-08-06, 11:55 AM
One you are basing it on the demo, and the shattering was sadly the only thing I could've agree with you on.

six_storm
07-08-06, 11:56 AM
I'll agree that this game won't be as good or revolutionary as Doom 3 or Half Life 2 but still, I think it has a great story line and features, such as walking on the walls. Honestly, I was hooked into the demo and thought I might actually buy it, but I found that we are getting it at work and there would be no point in doing that! The multiplayer still seems buggy and doesn't seem to have great performance on the 360. The levels are a tad bit small and there isn't much depth in it.

johnkeel105
07-08-06, 11:59 AM
I played the demo and thought it was fun, but I didn't think it was great. It certainly feels a bit like a rehash of Doom 3. So far Quake 4 is my favorite game on the engine because many missions have very interesting areas. I also enjoyed the character interactions of having a squad. Prey was a letdown and Doom 3 seems boring now, even after playing through one time. I don't belive I wil buy Prey.

SlamDunk
07-08-06, 12:16 PM
There was nothing revolutionary in Doom 3 :thumbdwn:

BioHazZarD
07-08-06, 12:56 PM
I would not say its worthless i think they did a great job with this game.

CaptNKILL
07-08-06, 01:02 PM
:werd:

zodiaK
07-08-06, 01:07 PM
Story, dialoguesIts just another Doom 3/Quake 4 game, a little talk and a few unintelligent sentencens and then your in an alien and gross environment shooting. I'd love more technical mojo and good sentences.

Play System Shock 2 for good technical mojo (even for todays standards) and good voice-acting and intelligent dialogue and a very scary story that holds back and get better as you progress in the game.
Do me a favor, play System Shock for 30 minutes and then tell me its story is great. You can't, because it gets better as the game goes on, yet you're basing your opinion on the entirety of Prey's story on that very same 30 minute experience. Do you read the back of a book and then base your judgment on that without even reading it?

I'll agree that this game won't be as good or revolutionary as Doom 3.
What, aside from its fantastic engine, was revolutionary about Doom3?

Lfctony
07-08-06, 01:08 PM

I agree there... I don't know, both Prey and Q4 feel very D3 like to me. And it's not just the engine, but the enemies and the atmosphere is very similar. I've also read that Prey is only 6 hours long. Unless we are talking about a major price drop, I'm not paying full price for an average game that is only 6 hours long... :(

Quickstar
07-08-06, 01:45 PM
I don't think you're doing enough drugs when you play Prey.

nVidi0t
07-08-06, 01:50 PM
I guess Doom 3 was more evolutionary, in the way of graphical advancement. Revolutionary? No way.

CaptNKILL
07-08-06, 02:13 PM
The Prey demo was pretty good IMO. But shooters are all pretty much the same now these days... they have a few different ways to do the same thing (shoot stuff) and some play at a different pace, but if youre looking for an amazing "experience" you need to look elsewhere IMO.

Hybrid first person action RPG or adventure games are where its at in that respect. Call of Cthulhu, Undying, Chronicles of Riddick, Deus Ex... name one that wasnt either a massive hit or a cult classic.

System Shock 2 fits into that category. It wasnt a simple first person shooter. It was an RPG\action hybrid (like Deus Ex).

Comparing it to a "normal" first person shooter doesnt really make much sense. I will say, I cant think of any recent (last 2 years) RPG\action games like System Shock or Deus Ex though, and that really sucks. Oblivion is sort of like that, but the setting and gameplay are quite a bit different.

Personally, I think HL2 is by far the best "normal" FPS to come out in a very long time. I think Prey has potential to be up there with it but I'm not all that hyped about it. Standard first person shooters just dont interest me all that much anymore. The gameplay is still pretty much the same as it was in Quake 10 years ago.

Neophyte
07-08-06, 02:17 PM
The multiplayer kicks ass!

Zelda_fan
07-08-06, 02:49 PM
Who cares if it is revolutionary. It's either "fun" or "not fun"

GamerGuyX
07-08-06, 03:01 PM
Based on the demo, I think the game is great.

PikachuMan
07-08-06, 03:14 PM
Prey's biggest assets are the offbeat game sequences. It's an entertaining game, what more do you want? :)

stncttr908
07-08-06, 03:57 PM
Prey's biggest assets are the offbeat game sequences. It's an entertaining game, what more do you want? :)
More of it and not a sub-6 hour game like people have been reporting.

grey_1
07-08-06, 06:45 PM
More of it and not a sub-6 hour game like people have been reporting.

Yeah but who's reporting that after playing which pirated version? I judged FEAR off the demo and was wrong, I loved it. I won't even make a decision based on what some thief reports.

stevemedes
07-08-06, 06:45 PM
The Prey demo was pretty good IMO. But shooters are all pretty much the same now these days... they have a few different ways to do the same thing (shoot stuff) and some play at a different pace, but if youre looking for an amazing "experience" you need to look elsewhere IMO.

Hybrid first person action RPG or adventure games are where its at in that respect. Call of Cthulhu, Undying, Chronicles of Riddick, Deus Ex... name one that wasnt either a massive hit or a cult classic.

System Shock 2 fits into that category. It wasnt a simple first person shooter. It was an RPG\action hybrid (like Deus Ex).

Comparing it to a "normal" first person shooter doesnt really make much sense. I will say, I cant think of any recent (last 2 years) RPG\action games like System Shock or Deus Ex though, and that really sucks. Oblivion is sort of like that, but the setting and gameplay are quite a bit different.

Personally, I think HL2 is by far the best "normal" FPS to come out in a very long time. I think Prey has potential to be up there with it but I'm not all that hyped about it. Standard first person shooters just dont interest me all that much anymore. The gameplay is still pretty much the same as it was in Quake 10 years ago.

zomg you just reminded me about Chronicles of Riddick. THAT game is awesome! favorite weapon = prison shank ftw =)

tacos4me
07-08-06, 08:05 PM
I've played through the entire game, and while I wouldn't call it worthless, it definitely isn't groundbreaking. I liked the first hour of gameplay the best, which I had already played in the demo. After that first hour, it just got kind of boring, and repetitive, a lot like Doom 3 did, which is pretty much what this game is. :thumbdwn:

Only.. with a different story, slightly different setting, and some new features/weapons. But come on, I mean.. same engine, that same futuristic, spacey kind of setting that D3 has, and a few of the enemies even look similar. The gameplay is the same, with a few twists. The little portals, spirit walking, and the "flipping" rooms are pretty trippy, and it's much easier to "die" considering you can just respawn in a few seconds, after shooting colored bats to get your health and spirt up as far as you can.

The weapons are.. meh. There's only five or six of them in the game, and they're all alien weapons except for the wrench. No explanation behind them, they're just on the ground after you kill a new enemy. I was hoping for a shotgun, but.. NO. I won't spoil anymore of the game, though. There's my crappy review. :D

I've had it pre-ordered, so don't flame me. :p

nVidi0t
07-08-06, 08:19 PM
don't flame me. :p

Criminal!

nutcrackr
07-08-06, 10:18 PM
The spirit walking and gravity switching is pretty interesting at least. I got the impression that those things were pretty straight forward, with the exception of some hidden secrets you would know when to use spirit walk, or know when to switch gravity.

I've not got quake 4 and don't plan on getting Prey. I really enjoyed Doom 3's very intense gameplay the whole way though unlike many others but quake 4 seemed rather boring and generic.

nutcrackr
07-08-06, 10:26 PM
Other way around to me, cod seems fake intense with all stuff going on around you that has no impact on you at all. Doom 3 feels intense because everything that happens, happens to you.

But lets not get into my hate of ww2 games :D

jAkUp
07-08-06, 10:27 PM
Don't buy this game, it has no depth.

Story, dialogues

Its just another Doom 3/Quake 4 game, a little talk and a few unintelligent sentencens and then your in an alien and gross environment shooting. I'd love more technical mojo and good sentences.

Gameplay

and complex missions, or more strategic action like Half Life 2s physics: blow up a bridge and they fall down. Where is the concept of arena, then explore, then puzzle? Here its no arena just indoor architecture and corridors with random placed encounters.

"Walking-in-the-roof" and box-portals are very WOW at first but then not very depthy.

Weapons

The weapons are tame and not very interesting, their sound effects are plush and not as instant as i.e Quake 3 or Half Life 2 machine gun. With those we get more solid feeling.

Would be nice if the weapons had a story and explanation or he had to "learn" how to use them? A little more depth that is.

Monsters

The monsters are very fake when they get hit and die, and if you continue shoot them they won't blow up/dismember. When they are frozen they won't shatter. One should be able to shoot the brain-in-belly zomebies in the belly and it would shatter and you could give it critical hits there. It would add depth and gameplay, which is the most important factors in a fun game.

It's almost as bad as the monsters in Unreal 2.

If I wan't brainless and fun action let me have Doom 1&2, there we have huge arenas, lots of monsters, satesfying hits (pronounced and solid blood splatter, made possible because of the low resolution), satesfying death animations and weapons with personality and good sound FX. Quake 3 Arena also has good weapons and gameplay and the arcade feeling..

Did he just compare this game to System Shock 2? I cannot believe you compared this to a completely different game. Why don't we compare this game to Starcraft while we are at it?

Does a game nowadays have to be revolutionary to be good? Prey is a good game. Not to mention you complain about depth, but bring up Quake3? Don't get me wrong, I loved Q3, but now that is a game with just about 0 depth.

And I cannot believe that you think a 2D sprite falling to the ground with about 3 pixels of blood is a "satesfying" death animation. And are you seriously basing the gameplay on the fact that you cannot "gib" dead enemies? Is that what good games are about? That adds to depth?

I felt the weapons were solid, and interesting. Seriously, its alot more interesting than the standard array of weapons we get in most FPS's. As for a shotgun, we do have one, the gun that shoots out the green goo is supposed to be a form of shotgun.

johnkeel105
07-09-06, 12:53 AM
The Prey demo was interesting and it was somewhat fun. It is not a bad game, but it is more of the same. The storyline was interesting and entertaining at times. What bothered me was the fact that it is another game that you feel so alone in just like Doom 3. While Quake 4 was not innovative, it was closer to what I expected Doom 3 to be. Prey also bothered me with its very forced use of cursing. Its not that it bothers me it just seemed so overused and not convincing. Someday I may pick Prey up in the bargain bin, but it is not worth $50 to me.