PDA

View Full Version : In-game temperature readings?

EazyDuz14
07-08-06, 01:01 PM
Thats what i need, when i minimize a large game like battlefield 2 to check the temperature, it often goes down 4C+ really quickly, so the reading is not accurate, so i need something like "FRAPS" only monitoring my GPU temperature, rather than FPS.
ANyone know of anything like that? Please reply.

EazyDuz14
07-08-06, 01:09 PM
use rivatuner :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73092

Sorry i dont think i said it clear enough, i mean like to actually see the temperature WHILE playing a game, like Fraps does with the FPS, if there is a way.

EazyDuz14
07-08-06, 01:14 PM
Thats annoying, it wouldnt even be hard to make as a program either. Oh well.

jetaylorpb
07-08-06, 02:10 PM
If you have a nvidia based motherboard this may be perfect for you: http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

One of the features listed "Improved system monitoring: Temperatures, voltages, and bus speeds are now available as an "always-on-top" window with a transparency option so that it is visible at all times."

And another feature "Event logging: Allows the tracking of bus speeds, temperatures, voltages, and profile changes in a log file that may be imported to a spreadsheet application for indepth analysis."

EazyDuz14
07-09-06, 11:39 AM
If you have a nvidia based motherboard this may be perfect for you: http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

One of the features listed "Improved system monitoring: Temperatures, voltages, and bus speeds are now available as an "always-on-top" window with a transparency option so that it is visible at all times."

And another feature "Event logging: Allows the tracking of bus speeds, temperatures, voltages, and profile changes in a log file that may be imported to a spreadsheet application for indepth analysis."

I didnt even Know Nvidia did mobo's, i bet they are good though. I used motherboard monitor 5 and it said something was at 47C, it wasnt the graphics card, must be some sensor somewhere.

jetaylorpb
07-09-06, 02:02 PM
I tried the mbm5 but I didn't like the asthetics or interface. I actually installed it twice on my system trying to tinker with it. The first time it came back with readings for my cpu, case temp and an "other" which could have been my hard drive or gpu. The second time it only recognized one temp and didn't tell me what it was. After doing some research online I guess it's difficult to find a motherboard monitor to work with the dells. I tried intel active monitor since mine uses all intel chips but it wouldn't even install. Maybe it will change with the xps700 since it looks like dell may be using nvidia chipsets on it.

Did you try speedfan? I liked the looks and interface of that one better then mbm. I think your best bet is to use Everest to determine the make/model of your motherboard and check their website for any utilities.

EazyDuz14
07-09-06, 04:27 PM
I tried the mbm5 but I didn't like the asthetics or interface. I actually installed it twice on my system trying to tinker with it. The first time it came back with readings for my cpu, case temp and an "other" which could have been my hard drive or gpu. The second time it only recognized one temp and didn't tell me what it was. After doing some research online I guess it's difficult to find a motherboard monitor to work with the dells. I tried intel active monitor since mine uses all intel chips but it wouldn't even install. Maybe it will change with the xps700 since it looks like dell may be using nvidia chipsets on it.

Did you try speedfan? I liked the looks and interface of that one better then mbm. I think your best bet is to use Everest to determine the make/model of your motherboard and check their website for any utilities.

On the website that Everest thing you have to pay for. Also, speedfan found no fans (even though i have 3) and no thermistors either.

jetaylorpb
07-10-06, 08:58 AM
There is a free edition of everest you can get, it's just not supported any more.

Here is a link: http://majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

EazyDuz14
07-10-06, 10:49 AM
There is a free edition of everest you can get, it's just not supported any more.

Here is a link: http://majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

And what exactly does it do temperature wise?

jetaylorpb
07-10-06, 12:11 PM
It will tell you the exact make and model of your motherboard so you can check to see if it's manufacturer has some software you could use for temp monitoring.

If you already know then you don't really need it.

GamerGuyX
07-10-06, 12:18 PM
I didnt even Know Nvidia did mobo's

Your kidding right?

EazyDuz14
07-10-06, 12:25 PM
Your kidding right?

I dont know much about mobo's, i only go on the Nvidia website regarding graphics cards.

wollyka
07-10-06, 06:52 PM
Use Rivatuner it has that FEATURE! via Hardware monitor and Rivatuner Statistics Server! read the faq that comes with it or the forums @ guru3d
it can show GPU temps+CPU+FPS+fan speed in-game..

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 10:50 AM
Use Rivatuner it has that FEATURE! via Hardware monitor and Rivatuner Statistics Server! read the faq that comes with it or the forums @ guru3d
it can show GPU temps+CPU+FPS+fan speed in-game..

Thanks, i will check it out later.

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 11:59 AM
i'm having a hard time finding the topic on guru3d forums... :(

@wollyka

can you post a link to the thread?

Ive done it its easy and a Big thanks to wollyka for finding this.
You just go on hardware monitoring, right click a guage and click setup, then check something like "view in windowed programs" and keep Rivatuner and the statistics server running in task manager.

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 12:58 PM
it works on prey demo...

but it does not work on g.r.a.w. ...any solution for this? is this an opengl/directx issue?

If right click the taskbar icon for the statistics server and you can change the colour of the temp monitor and there are some DX settings you could mess with.

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 01:17 PM
i already check marked all the dx boxes there... still no luck.

Dont know then, its only one game though.

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 01:30 PM
i tried it in quake3 (opengl game) - it worked
nfs:mw (d3d game) - did not work
f.e.a.r. (d3d game) - did not work

... i think it does not work in d3d games.

try using google to find a solution.

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 01:39 PM
hehe :)

Im using it on battlefield 2 right now, so it does work on DX games.

EazyDuz14
07-11-06, 03:38 PM
try it on f.e.a.r. or nfs:mw.

I completed FEAR so even if it did show up i wouldnt care, and i dont have the other game. It must be your set-up, because it works fine for all the games i have tested.

wollyka
07-11-06, 07:08 PM
Sorry guys for not replying soon :)
i did not find the thread @ guru3d too (maybe i've read it in another forum!)
but EazyDuz14 already knew the answer :) (no need to keep hardware monitor running, it is just for setup, onlu Rivatuner+Server are required)
However it works in FEAR (and any other game i have tried until now)
see the screenshots below

u can always post @ guru3d forum, they might help or even Unwinder (creator) may answer if he is in good mood :D