PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7800 Quit working

leppy
07-08-06, 01:12 PM
Ok guys, i'm not a complete Noob but i've been outa the tech for a while. I just bought a Bfg 7800gs Agp at the end of May. 2 weeks ago i exited out of CoD2 and my pc just froze. Upon a reset there were graphical annomalies all over. The bios , Windows and then a hard freeze again . Waiting a few min, reboot and managed to get into Windows untill it just went to hell again. Well i unplugged most of my componets leaving just 1 hd and the Graphics plugged in .. Actually managed to run Xp for about 20 min before it crashed. Now i'm running on an ati x1300 and haven't had a lock up since. My specs are as Follows ( i know i need a newer PSU )
Amd 2700xp
1gig ddr 3200
Abit Nf7s v.2
Xp Pro Corp..hehehe yeah it's legal
Powermax 400watt psu 16a on the +12v
I know now that i need at least a 20a psu However i'm just wondering why it ran fine for over a month and just now started to kick out. Is it possible to just get a new psu and my card still be ok , or underpowering it might have fried it. I don't have a lotta money , going through a divorce and all and just wondering what i might be able to do. Just buy a good psu ?? or will i have to get a replacement GPU as well.

stncttr908
07-08-06, 04:53 PM
It sounds to me like the card just died. Anomalies like that usually don't occur due to low power, at least in my experience. Generally you'd either have sluggish performance or you PC would randomly restart/reset itself.

This, of course, is where BFG's lifetime warranty comes in.

Airbrushkid
07-08-06, 05:12 PM
Running a card under powered can really hurt the card. You could get anither power supply rated for 20a 12v line. Try if nothing call BFG tech support. But I would not tell them that it was under powered.

Digital_Trans
07-08-06, 05:23 PM
You could always RMA the card back to BFG for a replacement and as Rar was saying...don't tell them that it was under powered. Another word of advice, Don't go cheap on a power supply. I think one of the best power supplies on the market is a Sintek power supply. Here's their website: http://www.sin-tek.com/ :) I use their SinTek 600XPS 600+ Watt PSU. http://www.sin-tek.com/sintek600xps-v2.htm :D

stncttr908
07-08-06, 06:16 PM
Stick to Antec, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, etc.

leppy
07-08-06, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,
I appreciate the input. I'm not so sure the cards dead yet. I unplugged all the compontents and ran it for while without it messing up. I did call BFG the day it happened and they said the PSU was too week and that they were suprised it held out as long as it did. He said to get another psu and it should work. I haven't overclocked it as far as i know ...lol can they tell if you did :D hehehe And how long do you think it would take for them to RMA it .. i have the original recipt but no box or anything. I'm just wondering if it's still good and just underpowered. It did used to just shut off the pc randomly before it finally started glitching, i thought it was something else wrong. I can put it in now and run it for a bit ..then it eventually goes out with annomalies and stuff.... Just wild , figure it might not be bad seeing as it does work , sometimes :D

leppy
07-08-06, 07:29 PM
You guys are gonna love this one. Well just for ****s and giggles i decided to plug the card back up with NO HDD's ...got graphical errors right away. Well I was kinda ticked so i pushed the molex connector in ...it was a little loose ??? Anyhow woops shutdown lol my bad ... i fixed the connector and made a good snug plug up and well so far so good .. Card's running ..games are fine .... still haven't plugged in all my other HD's yet only have 4 and a DVDBurner :) i wonder if it's just cause my connection was loose .....either way i'm still getting a bigger psu to handle it :) And who knows it may still crap out......
-Lep

leppy
07-08-06, 08:57 PM
Well looks like i got a little to hasty ... it died about 10 min later .. oh well i took a picture of what it sometimes looks like, it's just odd cause it will be completely fine ..run games and stuff and then just wham ..black screen ..or the annomalies then a black screen......

SgtPnkks
07-08-06, 09:57 PM
looks like what my 9800Pro did when i attempted some serious overclocking with stock cooling

mike686
07-08-06, 10:09 PM
7800's require a 450W power supply or higher. I would try putting a 450W+ power supply in first.

It could also be a degradation faliure caused by ESD (electro-static discharge). Do you ground yourself when putting in components? If this is the case only a replacement GPU will fix the problem.

stncttr908
07-09-06, 11:38 AM
I'm leaning towards a FUBARed card more than a PSU at this point.

leppy
07-09-06, 11:54 AM
Yeah i'm starting to wonder about the card. Least i can send it back and have them send me another one. Anyone know how much trouble that's going to be ? I'm going to pick up a Psu soon anyway for future upgrades. Might just wait before i try mailing the card off . I don't have any of the packaging , just the receipt from the store...

Digital_Trans
07-09-06, 12:07 PM
Yeah i'm starting to wonder about the card. Least i can send it back and have them send me another one. Anyone know how much trouble that's going to be ? I'm going to pick up a Psu soon anyway for future upgrades. Might just wait before i try mailing the card off . I don't have any of the packaging , just the receipt from the store...

You willl have to call BFG'S toll-free support line at 1-866-234-3499 Wait for your new PSU unit to arrive first before setting up an RMA. In the event it does fail call BFG.
Be prepared to wait on the phone for a long time. Also remember that their RMA dept. works only during the day. So don't call really late and expect
them to issue you an RMA. Their ship to address is

BFG Technologies
ATTN: RMA Dept. RMA:
28690 Ballard Dr.
Lake Forest, IL 60045
U.S.A.

Also, let them ask you most of the questions. Don't ask alot of questions! :D Just tell them the card doesn't work for you. I've been able to successfully RMA Qty. 3 cards back to BFG within the last couple of years with no problems. (nana2)

Burnt_Ram
07-09-06, 12:30 PM
thats what i would do too. wait for new PS, and then if it still screws up, RMA the sucker ;)

leppy
07-09-06, 02:03 PM
Thanks Guys , like i said i'm not completely sure it's the card ...cause it will actually work for a bit ..then go out ... So when i get the psu in a about 2 weeks i'll letcha know ... On the RMA .... how long does it usually take to get a product back ?

Digital_Trans
07-09-06, 02:48 PM
Thanks Guys , like i said i'm not completely sure it's the card ...cause it will actually work for a bit ..then go out ... So when i get the psu in a about 2 weeks i'll letcha know ... On the RMA .... how long does it usually take to get a product back ?

In most cases two weeks.

Burnt_Ram
07-09-06, 03:05 PM
i did an RMA once a few years back, and it took around a month ...

stevemedes
07-09-06, 10:07 PM
That's the exact screen I got when my Voodoo 5 died... Which was a LONG time ago lol. That was such a cool card.

leppy
07-12-06, 08:29 PM
WEll guys i said F-it and bought me an Antec 550 Neo HE .. .gonna try it out here in a min and i'll letcha know what's going on ..

leppy
07-12-06, 09:09 PM
Well, it was up and running for about 10 min ..Then started going funky again and crashed... I know now i'm not under powered seeing as i've got 3x +12v rails at 18a a piece...... So my card's gone over the deep end ..Wich sucks ass so i guess i'll have to call BFG tommorow and RMA the bugger.

ynnek
07-13-06, 04:16 PM

For me persnally, two weeks(10 business days) from the intial phone call, to a new card sitting on my doorstep.

The break down was 5 days for me to send it over to them (i shipped with slowww ground service)

Then about 2 days for them to process the RMA

And 3 days in shipping to arrive at my doorstep.

YMMV

Biskit64
07-13-06, 05:49 PM
Got to love BFG my current card is a BFG 6800 gs oc. My next card will be a BFG as well.