PDA

View Full Version : OC'ing, Temp, Artifacting etc

Try4Ce
07-08-06, 05:04 PM
Hey there!

I've got an MSI NX6800GT TD-256 AGP Graphics Card.
I recently ran into some stuff. Till it's so hot, my GPU is heating up, too lately.

I was testing around with OC'ing last Winter cuz it was very cool n' stuff. I figured that I couldn't go above Core -> 390 and Memory -> 1100 without getting very few artifacts in GPU intensive applications (like the nVidia Mad Mod Mike Demo).

I thought it was the heat, but it was only @ 68C at maximum load.

So, with Core -> 390 and Memory -> 1100 I don't get artifacts, but now my Temp is going up to 77C because of the Weather!

So it's not the temperature who causes the artifacts.

Do I need more Voltage to increase OC'ing? My AGP Voltage (BIOS) is @ 1.5V which seems rather normal, but I could increase it to 1.6V. Is it healthy or could I destroy my GPU with it? Or is it even recommended?

Just wanted to ask.... I'm curious about pushing my performance even further , but I don't want to let my PC explode....

Daneel Olivaw
07-08-06, 05:08 PM
Hey there!

I've got an MSI NX6800GT TD-256 AGP Graphics Card.
I recently ran into some stuff. Till it's so hot, my GPU is heating up, too lately.

I was testing around with OC'ing last Winter cuz it was very cool n' stuff. I figured that I couldn't go above Core -> 390 and Memory -> 1100 without getting very few artifacts in GPU intensive applications (like the nVidia Mad Mod Mike Demo).

I thought it was the heat, but it was only @ 68C at maximum load.

So, with Core -> 390 and Memory -> 1100 I don't get artifacts, but now my Temp is going up to 77C because of the Weather!

So it's not the temperature who causes the artifacts.

Do I need more Voltage to increase OC'ing? My AGP Voltage (BIOS) is @ 1.5V which seems rather normal, but I could increase it to 1.6V. Is it healthy or could I destroy my GPU with it? Or is it even recommended?

Just wanted to ask.... I'm curious about pushing my performance even further , but I don't want to let my PC explode....Don't touch the AGP voltage in your mobo's bios. Its absolutely useless and will just heat up the mosfets near your AGP slot.

Look through http://www.mvktech.net/ for info on overclocking/overvolting the 6800. But basically, good usual core top clocks are around 400-425 MHz with a GPU voltage of 1.3-1.4v. That's from the video card bios, not the motherboard bios where the AGP voltage should be lowest possible (1.5v).

What kind of artifacts are you getting? Black and white elongated triangles (core), or corrupted textures and the screen covered in multicoled squares (memory)?

Try4Ce
07-08-06, 05:11 PM
Okay thanks for the headsup, you saved my mobo/gpu lifetime ;)

So any suggestions what I can do?
It's not the heat, I think it's the insufficiant power.... Or am I completely wrong? I saw ppl who were able to push their 6800GT AGP cards over 400 Core!!