PDA

View Full Version : Fluidity issues

davidbidet
07-08-06, 05:30 PM
Hello all,

I'm a maniac of race game and I recently upgrade my computer to fit with newest games.

But an issue is still remaining : I have some problems of fluidity during the game, I mean that there are some "jerks" in the animation.

I observe it playing at Colin McRae 2005 (1024x768, only with x4 antialising) but also with 3D wallpapers !!! Nevertheless, the framerate is quite good (75-100fps and stable)...

My config is :

Athlon 64 3200+ overclocked at 2.4GHz
2Go of DDR400 overclocked at 220MHz instead of 200
Geforce 7600GT without overclocking
and an asus motherboard with an internal GPU (geforce 6100) not used.
Latest Forceware and AMD64 driver

I have already tried :

to remove overclocking of the CPU and RAM
to overclock the Geforce (600MHz GPU + 720MHz memory)

My current score at 3DMark05 is ~6000. I think that normally i can play such games without meeting problems.

Is someone can help me ? It really hazardous to deal with jerks when you drive at 120 km/h !!!

stncttr908
07-08-06, 06:17 PM
Check and see if you have any processes running in the background that suddenly spike in CPU usage. Also, turn off Vsync if it's enabled and see if that resolves these hitches.

davidbidet
07-08-06, 07:20 PM
I tried to play with all the running programs stopped (anti-virus, configuration tools, etc...) => The result is the same : games are not totally fluid.

I noticed also some issues of refreshing the screen : Somes "moving lines" appear during the game.

That's really strange because it seems to be linked to "moving forward" games : races, wallpapers which you can see somethings ravels,...

I don't see the issues in 3D landscape or quakelike games.

Is it possible that it is linked to my monitor ? I use a VGA flat screen with a DVI / VGA adaptator.

Thanks for your help !

David

stncttr908
07-08-06, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the way Vsync works, but it involves locking your framerate to your display's refresh rate to prevent "tearing" and other artifacting. You can search the web for some examples of what I'm talking about as far as the visual effect goes.

This is how Vsync works (at least how I understand it).

Say your refresh rate is 60Hz. This means that your max FPS in any situation will not exceed 60. However, if your framerate dips below 60, it will halve your framerate to 30 in order to continually prevent this tearing effect. This could often be mistaken as hitching and other issues when in actuality it's just Vsync's fault.

Acid Rain
07-08-06, 11:12 PM
I mean that there are some "jerks" in the animation. Well, don't play with a$$holes. :D