PDA

View Full Version : XPe problem with 91.31 & 91.33

JGreen2034
07-09-06, 12:33 PM
I have run into a problem with the 9x.xx nVidia drivers using a GeForce7300GS PCI-x card - my DirectX application fails when it calls GetDeviceCaps() with D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE. This is the same error which is returned if no driver is installed at all. If I simply replace the nv4_disp.dll and nv4_mini.sys files with ones from an 8x.xx series driver, the call succeeds.

I can recreate the problem under XP Pro if I install the driver, but attempt to run the application _without_ rebooting. After rebooting, the call succeeds. Any ideas? This never occurred before the 9x.xx series. I am looking into post-reboot registry changes now, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

JGreen2034
07-12-06, 02:11 PM
Update - I had Directx 8.1 binaries on my system, and it appears that the 9x.xx nVid drivers need Directx 9, at least on Windows XP Embedded - is this every/anyone else's experience?

EverGreen
07-12-06, 05:07 PM
Always look for the newest DX version, Jun 2006 seems be awared around...

If not, there is a trick to get rid off your broken DX files or error's, just hunt for the lastest full DX SDK support, approx 450 mb, install it then use the latest DX 9.0c normal user version and then delete the SDK version and re install the normal DX 9.0c version again.
All your DX problems seems be solved and repaired.....