PDA

View Full Version : Kotor 2

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
07-09-06, 11:02 PM
Ok, Ive been trying to play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 the past few days and the bugs are getting rediculous. For one, I get stuck randomly after battles and sometimes after accessing computers. Sometimes I can sit and fiddle with the controls for a minute or two and itl work, but other times I have to quicksave and quickload to be able to move again.

NOW, Im at a total show stopper. It isnt integral to the main quest, but I cant do any swoop races! The god damned swoop bike floats up along the cieling as soon as I hit the accelerator (this makes it so I cant hit any of the boost pads that make you go faster). It was supposedly fixed in version 1.0b, but apparently they didnt do a very thorough job, because I still get it. I dont even remember this happening when I played the game last year, before this was supposedly patched.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get around this? I loved the swoop racing in KOTOR, I want to do it to make some money. I cant believe the massive bugs in this game... how the hell can they screw up the controls for f***'s sake? Thats like the most basic part of a game.

EDIT: BTW, I found this:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63026
A guy said to hold the space bar (jump button) down before the race, but that doesnt seem to do anything... I tried it earlier anyways. This is really REALLY anoying... I dont even feel like playing the game with so many retarded bugs like this.

EDIT2:
*sigh*

Ok, Im using a nocd crack (I dont like swapping CDs) and apparently its for the international version 1.0b... I dug out the old 1.0a crack I had from last year and even though its the wrong version of the game exe, it fixed the floating bug. But now that I actually got to play the swoop races I realize how horrible they are in this game. They were perfect in KOTOR 1 but now its rediculous, theres so much crap to run into and you have to jump and half of the boost pads dont work...

This is kinda depressing playing this game after KOTOR 1. That game wasnt perfect but it was far better than this. I dont understand how people on some of the KOTOR forums can say that this game is better than the first one... especially when talking about the story.

Meh... Im not so sure I want a KOTOR 3 now. Id rather they just leave it alone rather than crap on the series any more.

K007
07-09-06, 11:47 PM
Finished the game fully patched etc. That getting stuck thing was really annoying but a quick save/reload fixes it so thats not a big problem. I didnt do much of the swoop racing stuff..felt it was rather boring lol but i was able to complete them..i ran them a few times.

Other than that annoying bug which only happend to me with the little robot in first level i didn't encounter any other problems...finished the game now both light side and dark side. Gonna go again on dark side....Also trying to get hold of KOTR I ><..i love this game lol. On the light side i had clocked over 40 hours of gameplay =)

CaptNKILL
07-09-06, 11:51 PM
Heh, sorry for sounding so bleak... I've just been playing the game all day and thinking it was going to get better and then BAM, one of the coolest parts of the first one is now crap.

Also, I keep reading that the story in this game makes no sense and jumps all around and then ends abruptly. This is what I've heard from my friends as well. And it was the first thing I noticed when I played the game originally. I havent gotten very far, but its still very apparent that it just isnt as well written or scripted as the first one. And considering how much time a game like this can take up, Its hard to WANT to keep playing knowing its going to be disorganized and anoying the whole time.

K007
07-09-06, 11:55 PM
The story isen't jumping arround really..its that there is no order in which you wanna do the game in..ie you pretty much visit planets find the missing jedi..to do that you have to solve some other quests which then lead upto the jedi ure meant to find...

So say there is Planets X,Y,Z..you dont have to do the story XYZ...you can do ZYX..it dosen't change the outcome at all..its just that that each planet has its own problems that you solve...

It was very easy for me to follow the story, the voice over is just awsome..and this is comming from someone who hasen't played KOTR I..infact at first i was a bit confused but later just got right into it.

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 12:00 AM
I guess I'll stick with it then.

I just wish the swoop bikes werent so irritating this time around. I hate having to jump and fly around so many obstacles. Its not racing any more, its just "trying not to get stuck on something".

K007
07-10-06, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah dude dont use the older nocd crack while having the new patch. It dosen't work and its gonna cause problems. There was recently released a new crack for the current patch, which works fine.

And those swoop races thing its so useless anyway..stick to the story ><..it gets tons fun once you get your lightsabre quest :P

toxikneedle
07-10-06, 12:02 AM
Mass Effect is gonna be better than Kotor I think.

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 12:09 AM
Oh yeah dude dont use the older nocd crack while having the new patch. It dosen't work and its gonna cause problems. There was recently released a new crack for the current patch, which works fine.

And those swoop races thing its so useless anyway..stick to the story ><..it gets tons fun once you get your lightsabre quest :P
Thats the thing though, the new crack is for the international version... I was using it but it doesnt work properly with my US version of the game (thats why I still had the floating swoop bug). The only thing thats working for me is the old US crack. I know its going to cause problems though...

uhg...

I dont want to use the damn CD :p

Lfctony
07-10-06, 12:33 AM
Just wait for the KOTOR2 restoration project to be finished, that should fix a lot of things. Apparently Obsidian had to cut a lot of things and finish the game because of pressure from LA. The ending is incoherent and is a "bit" crappy. :(

http://www.team-gizka.org/index.html

Other than that I'd agree that KOTOR1 was a much better game, especially the story. That mind blowing conversation with Malak, WOW! :)

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 12:52 AM
Just wait for the KOTOR2 restoration project to be finished, that should fix a lot of things. Apparently Obsidian had to cut a lot of things and finish the game because of pressure from LA. The ending is incoherent and is a "bit" crappy. :(

http://www.team-gizka.org/index.html

Other than that I'd agree that KOTOR1 was a much better game, especially the story. That mind blowing conversation with Malak, WOW! :)
Woa!

That is awesome! Thanks for the link! I was hoping there was something like this out there, but I thought it was too good to be true.

I wonder how long itl be before its finished. I see they have seperate modules for download, but I think I'd rather have the whole thing just in case.

K007
07-10-06, 01:05 AM
Yea the ending was a bit gay..but the rest of the story was pretty fun.. Cauld have been better i guess..but i was happy with the game..i guess one reason was because i didnt play KOTRI..which i plan to soon..so maybe i am gonna have even more fun in KOTR ><..now if only i can get my PC to work properly ><..doing too many reformats to be stuffed with installing KOTR..i got so fed up of installing it with so many cds i just dumped all the isos into a dvd and mount it via daemon ><

crainger
07-10-06, 01:14 AM
Mass Effect is gonna be better than Kotor I think.

Better than KotOR 2 atleast.

Mass Effect is the main reason I got a Xbox360

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 01:29 AM
Bah, Xbox only? ;)

arioch21
07-10-06, 02:19 AM
dont remember having any bugs in KOTOR2 when I played it back on release. I enjoyed both of them alot though, think KOTOR1 was overall better. :) I wanted to replay KOTOR2 recently but my cd got screwed and cant install now :(

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 03:14 AM
dont remember having any bugs in KOTOR2 when I played it back on release. I enjoyed both of them alot though, think KOTOR1 was overall better. :) I wanted to replay KOTOR2 recently but my cd got screwed and cant install now :(
Thats why I fight with CD cracks. It really saves a lot of trouble later. I just install and then crack, then put the CDs away until I need to reinstall the game (which is hopefully a year or more away :p).

nekrosoft13
07-10-06, 07:03 AM
i got plenty of hdd space once i install a game it stays there untill there is absolute no reason to keep it, usually never reinstall them, but with KOTOR2 restoration i might make a exception.

back to topic, only bug i had with KOTOR2 was caused by my 9800 pro when i still had it, on one planet it caused the frame rate to drop to 3-4 fps. other then the bad story, it was all fine.

but this gets me little worried how bad obsidian will screw up NWN2 :|

K007
07-10-06, 08:42 AM
i got plenty of hdd space once i install a game it stays there untill there is absolute no reason to keep it, usually never reinstall them, but with KOTOR2 restoration i might make a exception.

back to topic, only bug i had with KOTOR2 was caused by my 9800 pro when i still had it, on one planet it caused the frame rate to drop to 3-4 fps. other then the bad story, it was all fine.

but this gets me little worried how bad obsidian will screw up NWN2 :|

Yea i think its that planet where you do a kind of trial thing in the cave..

ynnek
07-10-06, 10:26 AM
nah.. THe story in KOTOR2 was great.. it was just obvious that they were forced ot rush it out early for Xmas, and in order to do so, they were forced to cut and change the story... Painfully obvious!! You should read the original story ending.

anyways, Atari is having problems, so hopefully they won't force NWN2 to come out early.. Honestly, as long as the game is somewhat stable, and they bring out all the right tools. Latest news I heard is although the DM module won't be shipped with the game, it would be downloadable on the web right on the launch day! so all that whining actually did work!

It sounds ilke its going to be as easily moddable and writable as NWN, if maybe even better. As long as thats true, the community support and work will probably carry it through.. which is arguably the most important part of NWN.

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 11:39 AM
Yea i think its that planet where you do a kind of trial thing in the cave..
:lol:
Wow, KOTOR 2 must have some of the same exact missions as KOTOR 1. The planet where you had to do the trial in the cave had severe framerate problems outdoors some times.

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 11:40 AM
Glad I played the Xbox version. :p

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 11:51 AM
Glad I played the Xbox version. :p
Heh, I guess a lot of people were getting the same bugs in that version. You're lucky.

Besides, thats sort of the whole point of the thread. I didnt want to scratch my CDs over time so I used a NO-CD crack and that ended up being the cause of the problems. With the xbox, you dont have that option.

Anyway, Im working around it. I should be all set later tonight.:D

K007
07-10-06, 12:10 PM
:lol:
Wow, KOTOR 2 must have some of the same exact missions as KOTOR 1. The planet where you had to do the trial in the cave had severe framerate problems outdoors some times.

I didnt have any FPS issues on my 6800GT...i think its waaaay back when game first came out..and we had like fx cards and ****.

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 12:15 PM
I didnt have any FPS issues on my 6800GT...i think its waaaay back when game first came out..and we had like fx cards and ****.
I had the problems in KOTOR 1 with my 6800GT. It was a glitch with the game, sometimes time would just stop and then everything would go real fast and get stuck in walls, then it would go slow, then itd be fine.

These KOTOR games are great, but they have some of the weirdest bugs I've ever seen :p

CaptNKILL
07-10-06, 09:26 PM
If anyone knows how to do 3d animation, the KOTOR 2 restoration project needs a few animations:
http://forums.team-gizka.org/viewtopic.php?t=1032

If anyone can help, that would REALLY benefit the KOTOR fans. The sooner they can get these small parts done, the sooner they can release this thing.

I think I'm just going to wait until its done to play the game... the game is good, but I really think I'd be doing myself a great disservice to play the game in its current form with such an enormous update on the way. From what people are saying about the unused dialog left in the game directory, there are things that fill in MAJOR plot holes. Someone said that if all of the dialog was back in, the game would actually be even better than KOTOR 1 rather than being clunky and full of holes.

I just hope they can pull it all off :)

H3avyM3tal
07-11-06, 04:51 AM
Magus, you won't be glad when the restoration project come out :P

Anyways, if the first KOTOR had the gameplay tweaks that KOTOR II got, it wouldve been way better. True that the story was better told, but I found that with all the things you could do in KOTOR II, the story was alot more, shall I say, diffrent?

You could be dark/light side and do the apropriate quests, not like in KOTOR I when you had only 1 path to go by, and only the end choices made a diffrence...