PDA

View Full Version : Do overheated NVIDIA cards to lose video signals?

ant
07-09-06, 11:54 PM
Hello!

Do overheated NVIDIA cards (e.g., GeForce 4 Ti4200, GeForce 6800, etc.) lose video signal when they get too hot. I noticed after rebooting computer, I still get no video signals according to CRT monitors (e.g., Samsung SyncMaster 17" CRTs). I have seen this on two different machines, multiple video cards (different brands too: LeadTek (once) and XFX (twice)), and operating systems (Widnows XP Pro. SP2 and Debian/Linux with the latest drivers) and similiar symptoms. Also, it doesn't have to be in intensive uses (e.g., gaming or using 3D screen savers) like playing a video file (MPEG-2) or watching HomeStarRunner's Flash.

Rebooting the computers resulted no boot ups (video signal loss, motherboard just stuck at boot up, etc.). However, if I turn off machines and their PSUs to rest and cool off, most likely they do come back to life.

I have not seen this problem with ATI video cards so far. Or am I just having bad luck with NVIDIA cards?

Thank you in advance.

jAkUp
07-09-06, 11:58 PM
My girly's system does this. I am having a time trying to squeeze her 6800GT into the unadequated cooling shuttle like PC. Its hitting temperatures of almost 120 this summer during gaming...

Sometimes the screen will lose signal when gaming. If I leave the side off it will run for hours upon hours.

ant
07-10-06, 12:30 AM
My girly's system does this. I am having a time trying to squeeze her 6800GT into the unadequated cooling shuttle like PC. Its hitting temperatures of almost 120 this summer during gaming...

Sometimes the screen will lose signal when gaming. If I leave the side off it will run for hours upon hours.Interesting. Does your computer boot up after the video signal losses?

K007
07-10-06, 12:58 AM

Sometimes the screen will lose signal when gaming. If I leave the side off it will run for hours upon hours.

Jesus..120C. Get a NV Silencer ><. Even in hot summer aus it didnt go above 80C ><..and aus summer is 45-49C..my room gets even hotter than outside cause of the PC...but the GPU is still kicking @ss @400/1100..god i wish nvidia made the gtx like that..

ant
07-10-06, 01:23 AM
Jesus..120C. Get a NV Silencer ><. Even in hot summer aus it didnt go above 80C ><..and aus summer is 45-49C..my room gets even hotter than outside cause of the PC...but the GPU is still kicking @ss @400/1100..god i wish nvidia made the gtx like that..Uhh, 120C degrees is 248 degrees Fahrenheit. Her computer would had melt.

Heh. This is what I recorded earlier before my last video signal loss:
83F degrees room and played for 30 minutes of FarCry. ...

CPU: 111F to 132F
Motherboard: 98F to 104F

Ambient: 40c to 49c
Core: 324.00 (same; did not turn down by itself)
Memory: 752.14 (same; did not turn down by itself)

Are these temperature numbers too high?

Then, took about a 5 minutes break and then went to play Call of Duty 2. The video signal loss happened during the black and white projected screens part about the past WWII history.

EazyDuz14
07-10-06, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=K007]Jesus..120C. Get a NV Silencer QUOTE]

In more than one review i read that fan only knocked about 4C off the GPU.
Seems abit over-priced to, since performance isnt that good.

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=K007]Jesus..120C. Get a NV Silencer QUOTE]

In more than one review i read that fan only knocked about 4C off the GPU.
Seems abit over-priced to, since performance isnt that good.

Nocks off 4C from idle, on load its a huge performance difference. I had one on my 6800GT.

But saddly NaluGirl doesn't have that choice since her PC is a Shuttle PC which is already a very tight fit for a 6800GT.

EazyDuz14
07-10-06, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=EazyDuz14]

Nocks off 4C from idle, on load its a huge performance difference. I had one on my 6800GT.

But saddly NaluGirl doesn't have that choice since her PC is a Shuttle PC which is already a very tight fit for a 6800GT.

I dont get how it can though, the fan speed doesnt change (well not all do) so how can it not knock any/much temp off on idle but can knock alot off on load?

nVidiaGuru
07-10-06, 12:50 PM
1. its made of some copper which transfers heat better than the stock aluminium heatsink

2. the block itself is larger, the larger surface area you have the bigger the contact area with the air you have..... its the same principal as with an alka seltzer tablet, a tablet broken into smaller pieces will dissolve faster because there is more surface contact

faster fans dont always mean better temps

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 12:54 PM
I dont get how it can though, the fan speed doesnt change (well not all do) so how can it not knock any/much temp off on idle but can knock alot off on load?

The cooler is made to vent hot air out so while theres not much hot air on idle the copper block helps remove the heat better and once it starts to heat up while gaming the venting moves the hot air out of the case unlike normal traditional coolers.

EazyDuz14
07-10-06, 01:18 PM
The cooler is made to vent hot air out so while theres not much hot air on idle the copper block helps remove the heat better and once it starts to heat up while gaming the venting moves the hot air out of the case unlike normal traditional coolers.

What do you think of the evercool VCRF or VCRE (only difference is the RF comes with heat sinks for the memory)

ant
07-10-06, 01:43 PM
Interesting. I guess the regular stock coolers don't do well for my video cards then.

Can anyone tell me what's the best one to get for my XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (AGP; 128 MB) for both idled and during intensive usages?

Also, does XFX void video cards' warranties for these third party video card coolers if there is a need to RMA?

Thank you in advance. :)

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 01:56 PM
From what I recall all companies warrenties are voided if any modification is done to the cards.

EazyDuz14, The evercool doesn't look like anything special. I can't see it doing much of a difference when compared to default solutions. I never used it so I can't say from experiance but I can't see it doing much.

ant
07-10-06, 02:03 PM
From what I recall all companies warrenties are voided if any modification is done to the cards.Really?Crap, I have a video card that is being RMA twice already and thinking it might be heat issue. What's a good way to keep it cool without tampering the card? My room gets 90F degrees during the heat waves. :( I already have air flows blowing in and out of the case to blow heat card out of the Antec P108 case.

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 02:04 PM
Keep your case clean, have good ventilation (cool air coming in and making sure the hot air moves out quickly).

If all else fails.. attach your AC to your PC case, lol. I saw someone do this before...

ant
07-10-06, 02:09 PM
Keep your case clean, have good ventilation (cool air coming in and making sure the hot air moves out quickly).

If all else fails.. attach your AC to your PC case, lol. I saw someone do this before...Heh, case is very clean since I just got the case over a week ago. Everything else is cleaned too from dust. Even case stock fans are new!

AC? Heh, good luck with that. It is a central unit in the house. It's OUTSIDE, huge, heavy, and old (20 years?). Oh worse when I am upstair too (heat rises). Maybe the 6800 card is defective to show these symptoms? I have seen the video cards show the symptoms even in warm temperature (mid 70s and 80s degrees(F)). Last night was almost 90F.

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 02:11 PM
No clue, I haven't had any issue like this and I have been using Nvidia cards for a long time. Have you checked to see if all the drivers have been installed correctly? Don't forget to check the motherboard drivers, those could cause issues with videocards aswell.

ant
07-10-06, 02:14 PM
No clue, I haven't had any issue like this and I have been using Nvidia cards for a long time. Have you checked to see if all the drivers have been installed correctly? Don't forget to check the motherboard drivers, those could cause issues with videocards aswell.Yup. Remember, it happened in Linux too with GF4 Ti4200 card on a different system as well.

I never had problems with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder (128 MB; AGP) on my gaming box. Weird. It seems like ATI is better handling with heat?

|MaguS|
07-10-06, 02:15 PM
Probably since they run hotter most of the time then Nvidia cards.