PDA

View Full Version : So apparently all drivers hate my cards

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
07-10-06, 11:11 PM
Any of the 8x.xx drivers cause my system to BSOD because of a driver failure (it's always the nv4_dsp file [or something similar]). 84.21, 83.41, 83.91...it happens in Doom3 and the BF2 demo when I have SLI enabled.

Moving to the 9x.xx series, I get this stupid, ugly and annoying rainbow-ish halo around EVERYTHING and I can't explain it or show it because it doesn't show up in screenshots. Again, only in SLI mode.

I can't run these games with everything high at 1600x1200 with just a single card and running them lower looks like crap. I am so frickin' angry right now I'm sweating.

I've wasted the last 45 minutes trying to get my computer to either a) not lock up while playing BF2 or b) not show that stupid halo.

The halo I thought was because of the 91.31 drivers defaulting to 16-bit. 32-bit didn't solve it. I thought it was because of Gamma AA. On/Off...no difference. I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it, all I know is that I can't use SLI at all.

Awesome.

superklye
07-10-06, 11:51 PM
I decided to do a little test and see what's up...and it turns out using my Mag 17" LCD with the 91.31 drivers there is NO problem visually whatsoever.

Great.

My 20.1" is hated by nVIDIA apparently.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is that the 20.1" is DVI while the 17" is analog. I can try hooking up the 20.1" via an analog adapter to see if that remedies the situation but I'm far too tired and can't take another restart tonight.

superklye
07-11-06, 12:13 AM
Nope. Analog does the same thing.

Un****ingreal.

Superfly
07-11-06, 04:39 AM
Ummm, I run 7600GT's in SLi via DVI on a Samsung 930BF LCD without any of these problems regardless of driver version.

For obvious reasons though im very keen to solve any problems with the 7600GT's in SLi, even if they dont effect me.

I notice we even have the same MoBo & soundcard combo's. Let me have your dixdiag via E-Mail (pm me for the address) and I'll get on it straight away for you.

(could I have the error report from the 8x.xx series drivers as well please).

thanks man.

Superfly
07-11-06, 04:40 AM
do you have a digi camera to take a piccy of the rainbow colours??

thanks.

superklye
07-11-06, 07:06 AM
You want me to send it again? This version has the 91.31 drivers installed.

I don't have a digital camera, but my roommate does and he works from 7-4 and then has class from 5-9:30 tonight and I won't be home from work until after 6, so I won't be able to snap any pictures until late tonight.

Superfly
07-11-06, 07:18 AM
no dont re-send it if you already have - I posted without being fully awake!!

as the the pictures of the rainbow colours that would be most useful.

cheers.

superklye
07-11-06, 07:28 AM
Heh, I sent it again anyway. I have different drivers installed now, if that means anything.

This is the WEIRDEST problem (and most frustrating) I've ever tried to deal with regarding my computer. It's not a hardware malfunction with the monitor because the monitor works fine in all other situations and in SLI with the 8x.xx series of drivers. But it's so strange that digital and analog modes do it and it doesn't happen on the other monitor.

Another thing I thought of: what if it's the port the monitor is plugged into? I guess I can try that tonight, too, when I get home from work, to see if it's because it's the port the 204B is plugged into. I've got it in the one of the right when you're looking down at the card.

Somehow, though, I don't think that's going to fix it. :0\

I think it's pretty weird that every version of 8x.xx has been causing BSODs. It was just a generic BSOD saying the computer was stopped the prevent damage because the nv4_dsp.dll (almost positive on that) had crashed. If this was the first time, restart, if it was recurring, contact system administrator, hardware vendor blah blah blah.

Slammin
07-11-06, 07:36 AM
Just a wild hunch on the BSOD, but I had some XMS memory that caused that exact error when I overclocked the memory too high.

Superfly
07-11-06, 07:37 AM
I think and hope that its a specific bug with the 9x.xx drivers and SLi'd 76's on your monitor - certainly the 9x.xx series drivers have some issues with monitors - mine blinks on and off during boot and that never happened with previous sets.

is it DVI specific I wonder..........make sure you use the primary DVI port on the primary card.

grey_1
07-11-06, 07:43 AM
superklye, this may be way off, but when I got my 2405 (different monitor I know) the contrast and color settings in game were so far off from what I thought they should be or was used to it looked horrible. Lights looked like rainbows without the full color spectrum and shadows looked like ink black spider webs.

The weirdest part was that screenshots looked fantastic. I was originally going to post here about it but I couldn't show what the problem was. Since then default colors in nvcp and 30% on bright works awesome. I can't adjust contrast on digital.

Also, when I swapped out my dvi cable for a $12 dual-link dvi, that improved my pics a good deal, although with a 20" you shouldn't have the bandwidth issues.

Don't know if any of this helps, just thought I'd try. that's got to be so freaking frustrating! good luck with it.

Superfly
07-11-06, 07:58 AM
dont worry man im all over this one.

superklye
07-11-06, 08:19 AM
Just a wild hunch on the BSOD, but I had some XMS memory that caused that exact error when I overclocked the memory too high.
HmmÖwas it driver/video card specific though? Iíd had my memory like this since I got it (2/10/06Öheh, I know because I got it the first day of the NIN winter tour and was upset I was going to be gone the next four nights seeing them and wouldnít really have a chance to use the RAMÖwow, Iím a dork. :p) and with my 6800GTs (single and SLI) I never had a problem, the 7300GS and 7600GST both worked exactly as they were supposed to.

Itís only been with these 7600GTs that I started having the problems. At first, I thought maybe the cards were just clocked way too aggressively, but the BSODs are because of the drivers, not because of a hardware malfunction (unless those go hand-in-hand; I honestly donít know).

I think and hope that its a specific bug with the 9x.xx drivers and SLi'd 76's on your monitor - certainly the 9x.xx series drivers have some issues with monitors - mine blinks on and off during boot and that never happened with previous sets.

is it DVI specific I wonder..........make sure you use the primary DVI port on the primary card.
n00b alert: which one is the primary/how do you know? :o

superklye, this may be way off, but when I got my 2405 (different monitor I know) the contrast and color settings in game were so far off from what I thought they should be or was used to it looked horrible. Lights looked like rainbows without the full color spectrum and shadows looked like ink black spider webs.

The weirdest part was that screenshots looked fantastic. I was originally going to post here about it but I couldn't show what the problem was. Since then default colors in nvcp and 30% on bright works awesome. I can't adjust contrast on digital.

Also, when I swapped out my dvi cable for a $12 dual-link dvi, that improved my pics a good deal, although with a 20" you shouldn't have the bandwidth issues.

Don't know if any of this helps, just thought I'd try. that's got to be so freaking frustrating! good luck with it.
Hey, thanks man. It sounds like you were having a very similar issue to what Iím having. But the in-game settings are fine. I thought it was maybe a contrast thing or something, but the settings are exactly the same in single-card and SLI mode, so I donít think thatís it. :(

If any of you use Photoshop and you use the ďnoiseĒ filter, thatís very similar to that Iím getting on screen on the edges of light sources and stuff. Itís this grainy-rainbowish pixilated mess.

dont worry man im all over this one.
My knight in shining armor. :) I really appreciate all of your help and everyone else, as well. Sorry to PMS about it, but itís so incredibly annoying.

Superfly
07-11-06, 08:28 AM
no worries at all man, I'd be pulling my hair out of this was happening to me!!

I cant promise a fix but I can promise to give it my best shot, of course I'll bash the hell outta NVIDIA over the issue too!!!

Superfly
07-11-06, 08:42 AM
What make and Model is your 20.1" LCD?? - need it for the report im typing right now..........

superklye
07-11-06, 09:04 AM
Samsung SyncMaster 20.1" Flat-Panel TFT-LCD Monitor
Model: 204B

Thanks so much for putting your time and attention on this. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :)

Superfly
07-11-06, 09:12 AM
Thank you for reporting the problem

It may take up to 30 minutes for a new submission or any update to be viewable

^^logged - your more than welcome, best of luck man.

superklye
07-11-06, 08:58 PM
Well, I changed ports and STILL I get these lines.

My roommate should be home in about 40 minutes and I'll get some pictures then.

*sigh*

superklye
07-11-06, 10:16 PM
To make this amazingly awesome situation even better, my roommate has no idea where his camera is, so I have absolutely NO way of showing anyone what this problem is/looks like. Fantastic.

nekrosoft13
07-11-06, 11:02 PM
buy a camera from wolf camera and return next day, they got a great return policy :)

Superfly
07-12-06, 02:45 AM
Morning,

Any other friends/neighbours with a camera?.......

Also what about testing with another LCD? (other than your old one) what im getting at is can the issue be isolated to JUST the Samsung 204B.

Superfly
07-12-06, 05:32 AM
This is quite likely my last bug report for this community - indeed for any community depending on the outcome of some e-mails sent today.

I will of course follow up any current logs and post a more detailed explanation (if I feel its relavent) later today/tommorrow.

Cheers for now,

Superfly.

superklye
07-12-06, 07:02 AM
Things not going well? :(

The girls across the hall are around sporadically and I don't know if any of them have a camera. I'll definitely try and ask though. It's like some higher power is keeping me from getting this problem solved. :( Thanks yet again for all your help.

EDIT: and no...no other LCDs to test with. :( :(

EverGreen
07-12-06, 08:39 AM
Well dude the answer is very simple, did you have set your monitor to the right colorsetup based on the vid-cable you did used?
Normally you can change your screen to another standard like 9300K or 5000K or and real RGB signal or sRGB signal mod, same build in the nvidia driver settings you can adjust the vidsignal to the right vid-composite, if you cnage this you can get moire effects or those famous rainbows and oooh thios is NOT a Nvidia Driver BUG, is just a mismatched vid-signal setting.:D

superklye
07-12-06, 11:06 AM
But why does it only happen in SLI and on one of my monitors?