PDA

View Full Version : Geomerics Announces Real-Time Radiosity Technology

brady
07-11-06, 09:35 AM
Woot! (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11322/Geomerics-Announces-RealTime-Radiosity-Technology/)

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 12:37 PM
It looks like they had it running on an xbox360 due to the watermark in the video.

brady
07-12-06, 01:35 PM
It looks like they had it running on an xbox360 due to the watermark in the video.

Didn't notice that...

Becoming
07-12-06, 01:38 PM
Isn't Crysis supposed to have a feature similar to this?

stisoas
07-13-06, 08:45 AM
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31908

CaptNKILL
07-13-06, 11:13 AM
Isn't Crysis supposed to have a feature similar to this?
I doubt it... this is pretty new technology isnt it?

I ran one of those real time radiosity benchmarks a few months ago and it ran in software mode at about 1 frame per 5 seconds :p

Geomerics has applied its core technology, based around geometric algebra, to produce this radical new radiosity solution. The solution is real time, achieving frame rates of up to 100Hz on common graphics hardware, and allows for fully dynamic lighting including point spot-lights, area lights, texture-based lighting, glowing objects and the projection of video onto geometry. The full indirect lighting calculation includes the soft-shadows that characterise real-world scenes. Geomerics' technology also integrates smoothly with classic techniques such as normal and gloss mapping, and fully supports HDR (high dynamic range) lighting effects.

:drooling:

Wow... we need this in games... NOW... this is it. This is THE real-time lighting system people have been dreaming about since the beginning of 3d gaming.

Gaco
07-13-06, 11:45 AM
I agree Cap. :drooling: indeed

brady
07-13-06, 02:36 PM
Yeah. I thought this was pretty exciting news. I too ran one of those real-time radiosity demos a couple years back and I remember getting like 2fps at 640x480. It was depressing.

I hope more information is released. I would like to know what kind of geometry a developer could work with using this kind of lighting setup. There has to be a catch. I havn't gone back to see if this was running on a 360, but I can't imagine a 360 could handle radiosity, physics, and high poly counts at the same time and generate a playable environment. Thoughts...

brady
07-13-06, 02:45 PM
It looks like, at least, the screenshots were done in something close to 800x600. There doesn't seem to be very much if any AA. There's no indication that these are from an xbox (I doubt it). And the following is directly from the Geomerics website.

To answer some of the most frequently asked questions: This video was captured 'as is' and has not been subsequently 'enhanced' with any post processing. There are no artistically placed light sources beyond those you can clearly see. High frame rates of up to 100hz are possible on consumer graphics cards with this technique.

walterman
07-13-06, 04:41 PM
I bet it will run like a slideshow.

leafo
07-13-06, 05:29 PM
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31908
Did any of you guys read this thread? According to these people this technology is impossible without strict limits.

Redeemed
07-13-06, 05:39 PM
That would be sweet. I was already very impressed with how the lighting was in Q4 and HL2: Lost Coast/ EP1- but this is even better.

I can't wait to see it implemented into games. That will be awesome!

CaptNKILL
07-13-06, 05:46 PM
Did any of you guys read this thread? According to these people this technology is impossible without strict limits.
Unless I missed something, that isnt really what they said at all.

They are just skeptical of the whole thing because before Geomerics, this was thought to be nearly impossible on current hardware. They dont know any more than we do really.

brady
07-13-06, 06:01 PM

Yes I read the whole thread. Not a single person said anything of any real value. The poo-pooing began with this remark:

If you notice there is no dynamic geometry, so it still has significant limitations.

How does he know the reason there was no "dynamic geometry" was because there are "significant limitations"? He saw the same screenshots and videos that are up for the rest of us.

Somebody responded to the above quote with this comment:

Yes, another of these solutions with a very limited presentation. Great for architects wanting to walk customers through virtual buildings with dynamic lighting tests, but not much use for everyone else...

...And shortly after that we have the final death blow:

Well...guess the fun is over then.

"According to these people"..."these people" seem to jump to conclusions with a ridiculously tiny amount of information.

jolle
07-13-06, 07:04 PM
How does he know the reason there was no "dynamic geometry" was because there are "significant limitations"? He saw the same screenshots and videos that are up for the rest of us.

Well, as long as nothing moves in a scene you dont have to calculate radiocity per frame, and then the render pass doesnt take that long, but if anything moves it has to be recalculated. Havent seen any movies so I dunno if it was a static scene or not.. but assuming from that comment..
But I dont think this solution is all THAT close to radiocity you get in offline renderers, to work in realtime it has to work more like a "hack" or "cheat", which is what most realtime effects are hehe..
Dunno, cant more then guess, but as long as it looks right, it doesnt really matter how its done.

brady
07-13-06, 07:38 PM
Well, as long as nothing moves in a scene you dont have to calculate radiocity per frame, and then the render pass doesnt take that long, but if anything moves it has to be recalculated. Havent seen any movies so I dunno if it was a static scene or not.. but assuming from that comment..
But I dont think this solution is all THAT close to radiocity you get in offline renderers, to work in realtime it has to work more like a "hack" or "cheat", which is what most realtime effects are hehe..
Dunno, cant more then guess, but as long as it looks right, it doesnt really matter how its done.

Don't worry. I've done enough work in true CG to know that this isn't going to be anywhere close to what we see in offline renders. I'm just saying that this is a good step in the right direction. If it can be used on current gen hardware, wonderful. If not then we'll all just keep waiting. As for the comments from the other board, it just seems to me that Geomerics has not released enough information for people to completely dismiss it. Likewise, we don't know enough to know if it will be an appropriate solution. That's all.

brady
08-02-06, 08:28 PM
Here (http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1665/Fantasy-Lab-Interview/p1/) is some more global illumination news for those that care. There are some pretty nice videos too. Check it out.